Author Topic: RIP Billy Tubbs  (Read 5489 times)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Billy Tubbs
« Reply #50 on: December 07, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »

My favorite Tubbs memory: after a 62-61 win quote headline in the Collegian: "I don't give a crap how good they are. We're going to beat the hell out of them in Norman."

Result in Norman: 67-63 Cats.
This was my freshman year.  I will never forget that headline.  Also loved the way the student section would antagonize him whenever he would get on the refs by simply chanting Biiiilly...Biiiilly...Biiiilly over and over.  The Big 8 was so much fun.

That was my freshman year too! That team wasn't great, but they were fun to watch.

:cheers:
:cyclist:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Billy Tubbs
« Reply #51 on: December 07, 2020, 04:41:25 PM »
I cut out that Collegian and hung it on my wall. I was in 4th grade. It stayed up for years. :gocho:

So YouTube has a few of those full early 90's Sooners @ Kats games, but I can't find that 62-61 one from 1993.

There are probably some others too, but those are a few if you wanna take a walk down memory lane. My God. The ESPN opening graphic at the beginning of the 1991 video is top notch. TOP NOTCH. Then they use the GOAT wildcat logo next to John Saunders' head! :love:

What jumps out to me in that 1991 one is that we were 11-8, with 1 conference win at the time. We were playing a 15-6 OU team who was #23 in the nation. Not exactly a battle of the titans. And yet, Bramlage was like at least 90% full, and man it seems live. Can you imagine Bramlage being 90% full now to watch an 11-8 Bruceketball team? Nope. Sad. The Big 8 used to be wild.

Also LOLLERS, at 2:55 of the 1991 game, the ESPN announcers A) are so close that it looks like they could kiss, and B) One of them accidentally calls Kermit Holmes "Sherlock Holmes".

I watched some of that 1990 game. A couple things stood out:

1) The fashion of the KSU student section. So many great vintage sweatshirts are out there!
2) OU was averaging 122 points per game coming into that game. Really! https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/oklahoma/1990-schedule.html (also kinda wild they beat the #1 ranked team in consecutive games late in the season)
3) When the game was played, KSU had more Big 8 wins than anyone :sdeek: