Author Topic: CK and special teams  (Read 2499 times)

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
CK and special teams
« on: October 25, 2020, 11:58:51 AM »
So in the post game press conference, CK took a really dumb question from Fitz and turned it into something kinda interesting:

https://youtu.be/oRN38cGecMQ?t=442

(starts at around 7:21)

Basically he says that at NDSU they kicked everyone's ass so they didn't worry about special teams much but since here they aren't very talented and kinda suck they work extra hard on special teams. Not sure if everyone sucky does this but it seems very smart, as well as not asking Will Howard to make difficult throws/value the ball and play pretty conservative bend-but-don't break defense.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Re: CK and special teams
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2020, 01:00:30 PM »
So in the post game press conference, CK took a really dumb question from Fitz and turned it into something kinda interesting:

https://youtu.be/oRN38cGecMQ?t=442

(starts at around 7:21)

Basically he says that at NDSU they kicked everyone's ass so they didn't worry about special teams much but since here they aren't very talented and kinda suck they work extra hard on special teams. Not sure if everyone sucky does this but it seems very smart, as well as not asking Will Howard to make difficult throws/value the ball and play pretty conservative bend-but-don't break defense.

Yeah I hope it is a thing they continue to emphasize when the talent increases. Hopefully a lesson learned.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
No, the suck crap teams generally aren't good at special teams. You know who traditionally has good special teams, Alabama. Their second best player broke his leg on the opening kickoff yesterday. It's a philosophy thing and shitty teams like KU, don't use starters on their special teams units, because they're generally losers and are afraid that their second best player will break his leg on a kick return.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 01:28:34 PM »
it's kind of wild that we lost an all-american kick returner from one of the country's top ST units in the country last year and somehow now we're actually having a much better special teams year than we did last season.

I think stanton weber is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on our special teams schemes this year.  if so, great work by him.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 01:37:29 PM »
it's kind of wild that we lost an all-american kick returner from one of the country's top ST units in the country last year and somehow now we're actually having a much better special teams year than we did last season.

I think stanton weber is doing a lot of the heavy lifting on our special teams schemes this year.  if so, great work by him.

did you watch the hammer postgame video? He got a hammer. The whole thing is so corny yet made me smile and stanton got one and had a big ole notebook

https://twitter.com/KStateFB/status/1320145931367579650

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 01:40:27 PM »

did you watch the hammer postgame video? He got a hammer. The whole thing is so corny yet made me smile and stanton got one and had a big ole notebook

I saw that video, anyone want to guess what my prevailing thought was?

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2020, 01:44:53 PM »

whole lotta wypipo front and center

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2020, 01:45:13 PM »
Not nearly enough social distancing or mask usage?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2020, 01:55:18 PM »

Corny as hell, but pretty cool.  Love that we're putting out stuff like this.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2020, 01:57:32 PM »
I thought/hoped at the outset that they'd say they've ended the so-called rivalry and smash the troph with the hammer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2020, 02:28:06 PM »

whole lotta wypipo front and center

Close enough. A lot of awarding hammers for perseverance, leadership, and want to, not a lot about performance. I wonder if Philip Brooks gets one if he had just one return td. I know stuff like that isn't unique to K-State. Football culture is interesting.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 02:34:18 PM »
Close enough. A lot of awarding hammers for perseverance, leadership, and want to, not a lot about performance. I wonder if Philip Brooks gets one if he had just one return td. I know stuff like that isn't unique to K-State. Football culture is interesting.

Hmm, yeah. I bet there's a lot of value in having highly-motivated low-talent walk-ons working their asses off.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2020, 08:03:39 PM »

This is great!  I'm all in with CK; he's getting these kids to form a bond that is needed to stay playing as good as they are playing.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile