Author Topic: How good is Will Howard???  (Read 110888 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: How good is Will Howard???
« Reply #250 on: October 28, 2020, 05:06:22 PM »
Howard will have an extra year on him, but it's very possible Rubley comes in right away and is better.  I like Howard an am optimistic about his future, but he hasn't exactly set the world on fire so far.  Plenty of room for Rubley to come in and outplay him for the job.  Do I think that's super likely?  Probably not in year one.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 28, 2020, 05:34:52 PM »
WTF? I don't hate Jake Rubley at all. I don't think a true freshman, who wouldn't have played competitive football in two years, will be able to beat out a player who has started for nearly an entire season. That's not even accounting for if Skylar comes back. Y'all are out of your goddamned minds if you think Rubley is staying here if he doesn't start next year.

I don't think ANY of those things are givens...(other than he wouldn't have played competitive football for a while)

Of course they aren't givens rusty, what do you think the best case scenario is? If this team finishes, let's say even 7-4, do you really think it's likely that Howard would lose his starting job after going 6-3 as a true freshman who didn't have the benefit of spring football or a full August training camp? I was just as excited as everyone else when Rubley signed, I got a chubby when that one dude said he was the best QB are the elite 11 camp in 2019, but he's got a huge hill to climb to win that spot. If he doesn't win it he isn't staying here, that isn't even debatable.

I outlined my best case scenario!

I have no idea how good Rubley really is but I haven't seen enough from Howard to think that he can't be pushed for a starting job even if the team finishes 6-4 or 7-3. He has been fantast

There's also the interesting idea that he's gone if he isn't good enough to start from day 1, but will have better immediate playing time options available if he transfers. He might! but not many and he'll have to take a redshirt, which diminishes the point of leaving

lol, no he won't, have you seen the rate in which QB waivers get granted? Also by the fall of 2022, there's a great chance that the one free transfer rule will be in place.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 28, 2020, 06:11:09 PM »
WTF? I don't hate Jake Rubley at all. I don't think a true freshman, who wouldn't have played competitive football in two years, will be able to beat out a player who has started for nearly an entire season. That's not even accounting for if Skylar comes back. Y'all are out of your goddamned minds if you think Rubley is staying here if he doesn't start next year.

I don't think ANY of those things are givens...(other than he wouldn't have played competitive football for a while)

Of course they aren't givens rusty, what do you think the best case scenario is? If this team finishes, let's say even 7-4, do you really think it's likely that Howard would lose his starting job after going 6-3 as a true freshman who didn't have the benefit of spring football or a full August training camp? I was just as excited as everyone else when Rubley signed, I got a chubby when that one dude said he was the best QB are the elite 11 camp in 2019, but he's got a huge hill to climb to win that spot. If he doesn't win it he isn't staying here, that isn't even debatable.

I have no idea how good Rubley really is but I haven't seen enough from Howard to think that he can't be pushed for a starting job even if the team finishes 6-4 or 7-3. He has been fantast

There's also the interesting idea that he's gone if he isn't good enough to start from day 1, but will have better immediate playing time options available if he transfers. He might! but not many and he'll have to take a redshirt, which diminishes the point of leaving

lol, no he won't, have you seen the rate in which QB waivers get granted? Also by the fall of 2022, there's a great chance that the one free transfer rule will be in place.

no, I do not follow the rate in which qb waivers get granted. My general point stands and I agree with DLew as well.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 28, 2020, 09:41:09 PM »

no, I do not follow the rate in which qb waivers get granted. My general point stands and I agree with DLew as well.

One thing to keep in mind, this coach isn't a carbon copy of the Snyder ways.  He'll play whoever is the better QB.  It always pissed me off how Snyder would hold back talent so the more experienced player started and as a result we lost good talent.  I feel confident we'll see the best QB starting next year.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 28, 2020, 09:42:20 PM »
Howard is so good that over half of KSO is saying they’d rather add T. Lockett to the current team over Bishop and any other Cat QB.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: October 28, 2020, 09:49:47 PM »
Aren't we bringing in Jake Rubley's high school receiver with him?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 28, 2020, 09:58:14 PM »
His team in Iowa had a RB commit for us Jayden Williams.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 28, 2020, 10:09:00 PM »

Well I'll tell you, because there is only one starting quarterback on each team, the transfer rates are high and waivers are almost always accepted. We're starting to see quarterbacks transfer twice.

I agree with Dlew as well. This line here makes me think he's understanding something you're taking for granted.
Plenty of room for Rubley to come in and outplay him for the job.  Do I think that's super likely?  Probably not in year one.
The argument isn't whether or not Rubley will be better or more talented, it will be whether or not he'll be enough better for Klieman to give him the starting job. That's a much higher standard. This isn't fantasy football and coaches with their quarterbacks, are risk averse.

If Howard finishes the season continuing his projection after three games, 60% passer, 10 yards per attempt, 3-1 touchdown ratio, 6 yards a rush, freshman Josh Freeman wouldn't be good enough to unseat him. Hell, freshman Josh Freeman needed 4 complete games to unseat Dylan Meier.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 28, 2020, 10:25:04 PM »
Also, freshman Josh Freeman was not very good.  If Rubley comes in expecting to start right away or he’s peacing out, then it’s a wash anyway.
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 10:30:26 PM by DQ12 »

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 28, 2020, 10:28:18 PM »
Also, freshman Josh Freeman was not very good.
he was god awful and never won a meaningful game.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: October 28, 2020, 10:44:37 PM »
He threw a lot of his passes to the sidelines with no gain after completion.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 28, 2020, 10:51:16 PM »
Man that 2006 squad had an NFL QB, two NFL WR, 2 NFL RB’s, and an NFL TE. Throw in an offensive genius at the OC position too. 6 TD’s and 15 INT’s for Josh seems borderline unbelievable.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 28, 2020, 11:01:34 PM »
I agree with Dlew as well. This line here makes me think he's understanding something you're taking for granted.
Plenty of room for Rubley to come in and outplay him for the job.  Do I think that's super likely?  Probably not in year one.
The argument isn't whether or not Rubley will be better or more talented, it will be whether or not he'll be enough better for Klieman to give him the starting job. That's a much higher standard. This isn't fantasy football and coaches with their quarterbacks, are risk averse.

If Howard finishes the season continuing his projection after three games, 60% passer, 10 yards per attempt, 3-1 touchdown ratio, 6 yards a rush, freshman Josh Freeman wouldn't be good enough to unseat him. Hell, freshman Josh Freeman needed 4 complete games to unseat Dylan Meier.

yeah I get all that. I mean I still think Howard's most valuable asset to this team is his low-risk decision making to date. I also don't think Howard finishes the season with those stats, but if he's in the ballpark especially with low turnover numbers he'll be tough to unseat next year.

But I still don't think he'd be guaranteed to be a 4 year starter! Like TBH Sky didn't improve a ton from freshman to senior, he could have easily been unseated as a jr if someone better than Nick Ast was his backup. I mean lots of people think he should have been unseated by Howard (and I think they are wrong but you get the idea).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 29, 2020, 04:08:53 AM »
Man that 2006 squad had an NFL QB, two NFL WR, 2 NFL RB’s, and an NFL TE. Throw in an offensive genius at the OC position too. 6 TD’s and 15 INT’s for Josh seems borderline unbelievable.

TBF, they didn't change the offense once he became the starter, that happened the next season. He was out there running the same offense Dylan was running.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 29, 2020, 04:15:53 AM »
never won a meaningful game.

Still hating, all these years later. He had four touchdowns and the offense scored 45 in the only the second win against a top 5 team in the history of the program.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 29, 2020, 05:43:57 AM »

Still hating, all these years later. He had four touchdowns and the offense scored 45 in the only the second win against a top 5 team in the history of the program.
Also led us to a win down 10 with 3 minutes left against OSU.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 29, 2020, 06:21:25 AM »

Only 500 or so people were left in the stadium to see that win so no one really remembers it

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 29, 2020, 07:11:30 AM »
He had a 50 percent completion percentage and a TD/INT ratio of 6/15.  There were flashes (and ‘06 OSU is one of my favorite games OAT), but for the most part, Freeman was buttcheeks his freshman year.

He got really good after that though.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 29, 2020, 07:21:42 AM »
He had a 50 percent completion percentage and a TD/INT ratio of 6/15.  There were flashes (and ‘06 OSU is one of my favorite games OAT), but for the most part, Freeman was buttcheeks his freshman year.

I don't think anybody is arguing that he was a world-beater his freshman year, just that the assertion that he never won a meaningful game in a year that we went .500 in the Big XII is silly.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 29, 2020, 10:53:35 AM »

And bringing this around to what my point was, Will Howard has been very good, having the best freshman season than any K-State QB in our lifetime and he's going to be a witch for anyone to unseat.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 29, 2020, 11:29:07 AM »

And bringing this around to what my point was, Will Howard has been very good, having the best freshman season than any K-State QB in our lifetime and he's going to be a witch for anyone to unseat.
Wow, MakeItRain watches one Iowa high school football game and decides that Jake Rubley will be the worst QB to ever play at K-State. Remarkable.
:adios:

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 29, 2020, 04:40:05 PM »

yeah, but also smoked loads of cigs

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 29, 2020, 04:54:30 PM »

yeah, but also smoked loads of cigs

I've heard from a very reliable source that he was drinking alcohol and smoking cigarettes the night before the ku game  :th_twocents:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 29, 2020, 05:00:35 PM »
He was passed out on a pool table at a party the night before a game. He didn't gaf! I saw it with my own two eyes. He was a very dislikable person to be around. But hey, he beat Texas. That was cool. Never had a win vs Nebraska, Mizzou, or KU. It's ok, guys. You don't have to like every K-State player that walks through that door. Thomas Clayton was a d bag too.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 29, 2020, 05:06:50 PM »
I have been around him once (1nce) and he was very likable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk