Author Topic: where the heck did brad parscale play basketball in Junior college?  (Read 2633 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Barton county under Steve Forbes!  :billdance:

BUTLER ROLLS OVER SHORTHANDED BARTON
Newspaper February 1, 1996 | Wichita Eagle, The (KS)
Author: James T. WangemannThe Wichita Eagle | Page: 5C | Section: SPORTS
751 Words | Readability: Lexile: 1160, grade level(s): 10 11-12
Read News Document Listen with webReader

A radio broadcaster from Great Bend gestured to Barton County coach Steve Forbes a few minutes before the tip-off of Barton's game against Butler County.

''Steve,'' he said, ''tell me who you're not starting.''

Forbes looked puzzled for a moment, but then gave the names of two players.

Satisfied, the broadcaster took another look at his pregame notes, turned to his partner and said, ''It's easier to do it that way.''

And he had a point.

Beset by illness, injuries and suspensions, Barton County brought only seven players to El Dorado on Wednesday night. And that wasn't nearly enough bodies to keep up with Butler, which rolled to a 90-65 victory.

In winning its fourth straight game, Butler improved to 4-1 in the Jayhawk West, 17-5 overall. Barton dropped to 2-3 in the conference, 12-11 on the season.

Barton actually has eight players on its squad but faced Butler without standout guard Brandun Hughes, who didn't make the trip because of the flu. The 6-foot Hughes signed with Michigan in November and has averaged 29 points a game this season.

But without him on the court, Barton lacked both a scorer and ballhandler.

After the game's first 12 minutes, Barton had 11 turnovers, had taken only eight shots and trailed 31-8.

The Cougars finished the game with 33 turnovers and only 29 shots, making 14. Their 65 points marked their lowest scoring output since a 72-50 loss to Trinity Valley (Texas) on Nov. 25.

''I've never seen such a shot discrepancy,'' Forbes said, putting his hand to his forehead. ''They took 73 shots and we only had 29?''

Butler's last shot of the first half - a 23-foot 3-pointer by sophomore swingman Ty Rhodes - pushed the Grizzlies to a 45-22 lead.

Rhodes made 4-of-8 3-pointers and led Butler with 19 points. Freshman center Cedric McGinnis had 18 points and 11 rebounds for Butler while sophomor e point guard Terry Hankton added 16.

''We're playing some defense and putting up some points,'' Butler coach Randy Smithson said. ''I'm happy with our last four games.''

BARTON COUNTY (65): Shane Sundahl 7, Jerrod Childers 13, Jay Heidrick 5, Lionel Barnes 16, Brad Parscale 6, Gitonga Maina 10, Chris Baker 8. Totals 14-29 33-49 65.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 01:05:01 PM by michigancat »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: where the heck did brad pascale play basketball in Junior college?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2020, 04:55:53 PM »
dang they wrote some long ass articles back in the day

Out of Africa Maina mania reaches into heart of Kansas
Newspaper February 4, 1996 | Kansas City Star, The (MO)
Author: RANDY COVITZ | Page: C1 | Section: SPORTS
2002 Words | Readability: Lexile: 1000, grade level(s): 6 7 8

GREAT BEND, Kan. - Movie night comes each Thursday in the Commons Building at Barton County Community College. It's a pretty big deal for students at this isolated campus, which sits about six miles north of the dot on the map labeled Great Bend.

On one surreal night, the Thursday movie actually came to life.

As ``The Air Up There'' was being shown, who strolled into the Commons on his first day on campus but the movie's co-star, 6-foot-9 Charles Gitonga Maina.

``We knew he was coming to school here, and he just happened to be walking around,'' said freshman Amanda Duncan of Ottawa, Kan., a guard on the women's basketball team. ``So he decided to come in and watch it with us.

``We had fun with that and teased him quite a bit. We asked him questions about Kevin Bacon and things like that. '' Did you really dive off of that African cliff? No, a stunt man did.

Did you really make that game-winning, one-handed, soaring above-the-rim, monster jam at the end of the film? Yes, but with the help of a trampoline.

How did you get that role? He auditioned, beating out 45 other would-be Hakeem Olajuwons.

And, the question asked most of all, why is someone from Nairobi, Kenya, playing basketball at Barton County?

That's something Maina (pronounced MY-nah), pondered, too, as he shivered through a blizzard while walking from the Barton PE Building to his closet-size dorm room after a 100-90 loss to Seward County.

``It's so cold here,'' said the soft-spoken Maina, bundled in a yellow coat and purple stocking cap. ``I miss the warm weather the most. '' In ``The Air Up There,'' a movie released in 1993, Maina played Saleh, a Winabi warrior discovered by Bacon's character, Jimmy Dolan, a Division I assistant basketball coach, who went to Africa and recruited Saleh.

When Maina heard about auditions in Kenya for the part, he was 17, preparing for his high school final exams and planning to attend a university in Nairobi.

He had no acting or organized basketball experience, though he had won the Nairobi Slam Dunk Championship. But he had only started playing basketball after he grew too tall to enjoy his favorite sports of soccer and tae kwon do.

``I went to the basketball court with my friend, we played a pickup game and did a couple of dunks,'' Maina said. ``I showed I could handle the basketball and had some athletic ability. They told me they'd give me some lessons on how to act. I was willing to do that. It never crossed my mind I would get the part. '' Forty-six men read for the part. Maina was the last. He and a friend named Peter were selected for the final audition in Los Angeles.

``I just happened to get the upper hand and got the part in the movie,'' said Maina, who goes by his African name, Gitonga, not his baptized name of Charles that appears in the movie's credits.

``I didn't realize how big a part it was until we were going through the script and rehearsing every day. I had never thought about being an actor. It was something out of the blue. Life has a twist. '' More surprising than his ability to reverse-slam a basketball was Maina's ability to deliver dialogue, both in somber and humorous scenes. And he had an infectious smile.

``The other guy couldn't keep his eye on the camera or smile as easily as Charlie,'' said former NBA star Bob McAdoo, the technical adviser for the film. ``Charlie almost looked like a natural. '' As for Peter?

``He is still my friend,'' Maina said. ``I write to him. '' Only in the movies Life doesn't always imitate art.

In ``The Air Up There,'' Maina is portrayed as a tribal warrior wearing braided hair who lives in a tiny village in the African outback. In real life, he grew up in a city of more than a million where he likes to frequent the malls, movies and enjoy big-city life.

He's also depicted as the next Olajuwon, when in truth, he is a work in progress.

After playing as a backup in the first half of the season, Maina has worked his way into the starting lineup for the last seven games.

He is averaging just 4.5 points and 4.2 rebounds per game, but he had blocked 51 shots for Barton, 12-11, entering Saturday night's game against Dodge City.

``It's hard for people to understand he's never played organized basketball,'' Barton County Coach Steve Forbes said. ``They naturally assume when they hear the story, they watch the movie, that he's going to come in and dominate. That's not going to happen. This league is too good. '' Because he weighs only 210 pounds, the reed-thin Maina gets muscled out of position by smaller but stronger players. He's also had difficulty staying out of foul trouble.

Against an athletic Seward team, Maina made just three of nine from the field and missed his only free throw. He had four rebounds, committed three turnovers and blocked three shots before fouling out in frustration with nearly 8 minutes to play.aina responded in Barton's next game with his best performance of the year - 14 points, 15 rebounds and six blocked shots in an 81-80 victory over Garden City.

Road to Barton McAdoo, now an assistant coach with the Miami Heat, has been a key influence in Maina's basketball pursuits.

McAdoo worked with Maina on his shooting technique and other fundamentals during the four months of shooting ``The Air Up There'' in South Africa. Maina also spent last Christmas vacation with McAdoo in Miami, watching NBA games and practicing with him.

``I saw some talent,'' McAdoo said of his first impressions. ``He was raw ... he could dunk it real well. I thought he'd have a good chance of playing in America, whether it was Division II or depending on how he developed, maybe Division I. ``He's a fast learner. And he grew a lot. When he started the movie, he was 6-6. He was still a growing boy. Hopefully, he can be a story like a Hakeem Olajuwon or Dikembe Mutombo. '' McAdoo, who played collegiately at North Carolina, used his connections and sent him to Brevard (N.C.) Junior College, coached by former Tar Heel Dudley Bradley. But Maina spent just one semester there in 1994 because Brevard was unable to provide a full scholarship.

Before returning to Kenya, he taped an episode of ``seaQuest'' in Orlando, playing an archaeologist. ``My role was to explain some ancient history they found in the deep sea,'' Maina said.

Last summer, Maina and McAdoo worked at a summer camp in the Poconos, and one of the directors was a brother of Florida State Coach Pat Kennedy. Barton had sent a player, Gentry Sparks, from last year's team to Florida State, and a Seminoles assistant coach contacted Forbes, who was still looking for a big man.

``Things happened fast,'' Maina said. ``In two days, I'm getting my things packed. '' Then he hit a snag. The National Junior College Athletic Association declared Maina ineligible, claiming he was paid for the movie because of his basketball expertise.

Barton County appealed that decision, explaining that Maina was hired for his acting skills and not because of his ability to play basketball. In fact, there's only about five minutes of actual basketball action in the film. The NJCAA executive committee reversed the ruling at a hearing last October in Colorado Springs, Colo.

``That cleared him for junior-college eligibility,'' Forbes said.

``I'm sure if he goes on to the NCAA level, there's probably going to be another investigation. Hopefully, this will be a precedent. '' Advancing to a four-year school and getting a degree are Maina's primary goals, not the NBA. He made a 3.0 in 14 hours of classwork in the first semester and hopes to study business.

``If it turns out a dream comes true like the NBA, that's great,'' said Maina, 22. ``But right now I can't focus on that. I have to focus on what I have. '' Letters from several schools, including Wyoming, South Alabama and Weber State, are stacked in Maina's locker.

``The publicity of the movie is going to help me a lot,'' he said, ``but it's up to me to prove myself on the court. They may have great expectations of me, but if they're expecting an outstanding player and you're not, you just have to be yourself. '' Celebrity on campus Much of the hubbub surrounding Maina's matriculation to Barton County has subsided, but a movie star on campus was the talk of rural Kansas when he enrolled.

``I call everyone back home and tell them I know him, even though I really don't,'' said Janet Small, a freshman from Sylvan Grove, Kan.

Opposing players took notice, too. Seward center Chuck Thrash, who scored 16 points against Barton, said he rented ``The Air Up There'' as soon as he found out Maina was playing for Barton.

``He's a good actor,'' Thrash said. ``And he got me with a crossover move early in the game. He can block shots. I saw in the program he had a 7-foot-6-inch wing span, and I believe it. '' Even his teammates were star-struck.

``You didn't believe it at first,'' said Brad Parscale, a freshman forward from Topeka. ``We watched the movie with him after he first got here, and we just kept looking at him. My mom's been sending me videotapes of the movie and having him sign them. '' ``We go into Wal-Mart and people now don't freak out as much.

Everybody's used to him, and he's a Great Bender now, almost. '' It's different when the Cougars go on the road. After recent games at Brown Mackie-Salina and at Hutchinson, about 200 people queued up for Maina's autograph. And he obliged as many as he could.

``People want to meet you,'' said Maina, who also has visited elementary schools in the area, ``but you don't know if it's for the movie or for basketball. '' It must be the movie. Barton County guard Brandun Hughes, who has signed with Michigan and is ranked sixth in the nation with a 28.1-point scoring average, receives scant attention from fans or reporters.

But he's not jealous of Maina, who is called ``Gee'' by his teammates.

``It's cool having him on the team,'' Hughes said. ``It's not like he's a movie star because he's so down-to-earth and friendly. I tell my friends about him being here, and they think I'm telling a story, so I have to send them newspaper articles to prove it to them. '' Perhaps the toughest adjustment for Maina has been the assimilation to all-white central Kansas. The nationally ranked Barton County track team has three Kenyans and a Ugandan, giving Maina some fellow Africans with whom to combat homesickness and culture shock.

In the movie, Saleh is hesitant to leave Africa because he's in line to succeed his father as chief of the tribe, and that devotion to family may have provided the most realism in the movie.

``We were talking in class about young people today and their lack of respect for adults,'' English instructor Jackie Elliott said of a first-semester discussion, ``and Gee said where he's from, that doesn't happen. You respect adults, and he seems frustrated and appalled by school-age kids in Great Bend who are not very respectful and ask rude questions.

``He is very gracious. He doesn't take to all of the attention.

The first day of class he was this great star. By the end of the semester, he was just another one of the students. He just wants to be another basketball player going to college. '' The Maina file Name: Charles Gitonga Maina (MY-nah) Nickname: ``Gee'' Age: 22 Hometown: Nairobi, Kenya School: Barton County Community College in Great Bend, Kan.

Year: freshman Height: 6 feet 9 Weight: 210 Position: center Did you know: Gitonga co-starred with Kevin Bacon in the basketball movie ``The Air Up There. ''

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2020, 04:58:14 PM »
I had no idea Brad was from Topeka

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2020, 05:04:08 PM »

BARTON COUNTY (65): Jay Heidrick 5, Brad Parscale 6

:)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2020, 05:28:15 PM »
Trump University?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2020, 06:44:30 PM »
Brad Garlinghouse is the only Brad from Topeka that matters
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2020, 06:57:21 PM »
Holy crap, Steve Forbes, Brad Parscale, and Jay Heidrick, that's wild. Trim, get brad over here, after he gets out of observation and before prison.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2020, 07:00:53 PM »
lol

my library newspaper archive had this story about Parscale and seems to be the only evidence of his stardom (but he must have been pretty decent if not just big)

LHS BOYZ GAME
Newspaper December 11, 1993 | Lawrence Journal-World (KS)
Author: Andrew Hartsock, Journal-World Sports Writer
515 Words | Readability: Lexile: 890, grade level(s): 5 6

Defense was the key as Lawrence High stifled Shawnee Heights, 74-59, on Friday night.

As important as defense is to Jack Schreiner, perhaps Friday's performance should come as no surprise.

But Schreiner, Lawrence High's new boys basketball coach, couldn't help but marvel at the Lions' D in their 74-59 win over Shawnee Heights.

"I have to admit, we played better defense than I'd seen us play all year," Schreiner said. "I think we totally took them out of their offense."

Heights, ranked No. 6 in Class 5A, hit just 7 of 26 shots in the first half, 18 of 55 for the game.

"That's about all he cared out, stressing defense," Lawrence senior point guard Brad Romme said. "Our offense wasn't clicking, but our defense carried us."

Actually, defense wasn't Schreiner's only concern. He was worried, too, about his debut at the high school level with five brand-new starters. He took the season-opening win with some measure of personal satisfaction.

"Before the game, I told them I had waited a long time for this," said Schreiner, a long-time coach at West Junior High before his promotion. "I almost broke up. A lot of people have questioned me. It's only one, but it's a good one."

Aaron Butler, who played for Schreiner two years ago but lived in Chicago last year, scored the first basket and four of the first six points, helping LHS to a 13-10 first-quarter lead.

A 26-14 second quarter gave the Lions a 39-24 lead at the half.

"Coming out, everyone was a little nervous," said LHS junior center Brad Frederick. "No one knew what to expect."

The teams played even the rest of the way, but Heights (1-1) could come no closer than 9 points at 58-49 with 6:14 left.

"I think we had a little letdown in the second half," Schreiner said. "We rebounded exceptionally well in the first half, but we didn't rebound well in the second half."

Butler led all scorers with 20 points. Tye Wilson added 16 and Jared Hermann 13 for the Lions. Brad Parscale, a 6-8 center, led the T-Birds with 18 points on just 7-of-19 shooting.

"It seemed like their big man struggled," Frederick said. "We played good defense on him. Then they were just running around trying to shoot three-pointers."

Heights hit four of 15 threes, while the Lions canned four of seven. LHS hit 54 percent (28 of 51) of their field goals.

"I don't want to single anyone out," Schreiner said. "I thought everybody contributed."

Indeed, 12 Lions played and 10 scored. The bench play was made even more important by the starters' foul trouble. By the end of the first quarter, all five starters had at least one foul apiece, and by halftime four of the five had two apiece.

"We did have a lot of fouls," said Frederick, who scored seven points before fouling out. "I guess that's a tribute to the bench. We played a lot of players."

In the junior varsity game, LHS lost its opener, 78-71. Jason Morris led the Lions with 26 points.

Lawrence will play host to Leavenworth on Tuesday. Tipoff is approximately 7:30 p.m., following the JV game at 6.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2020, 07:04:30 PM »

BARTON COUNTY (65): Jay Heidrick 5, Brad Parscale 6

:)
lmao

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2020, 12:28:18 PM »
lol

my library newspaper archive had this story about Parscale and seems to be the only evidence of his stardom (but he must have been pretty decent if not just big)

LHS BOYZ GAME
Newspaper December 11, 1993 | Lawrence Journal-World (KS)
Author: Andrew Hartsock, Journal-World Sports Writer
515 Words | Readability: Lexile: 890, grade level(s): 5 6

Defense was the key as Lawrence High stifled Shawnee Heights, 74-59, on Friday night.

As important as defense is to Jack Schreiner, perhaps Friday's performance should come as no surprise.

But Schreiner, Lawrence High's new boys basketball coach, couldn't help but marvel at the Lions' D in their 74-59 win over Shawnee Heights.

"I have to admit, we played better defense than I'd seen us play all year," Schreiner said. "I think we totally took them out of their offense."

Heights, ranked No. 6 in Class 5A, hit just 7 of 26 shots in the first half, 18 of 55 for the game.

"That's about all he cared out, stressing defense," Lawrence senior point guard Brad Romme said. "Our offense wasn't clicking, but our defense carried us."

Actually, defense wasn't Schreiner's only concern. He was worried, too, about his debut at the high school level with five brand-new starters. He took the season-opening win with some measure of personal satisfaction.

"Before the game, I told them I had waited a long time for this," said Schreiner, a long-time coach at West Junior High before his promotion. "I almost broke up. A lot of people have questioned me. It's only one, but it's a good one."

Aaron Butler, who played for Schreiner two years ago but lived in Chicago last year, scored the first basket and four of the first six points, helping LHS to a 13-10 first-quarter lead.

A 26-14 second quarter gave the Lions a 39-24 lead at the half.

"Coming out, everyone was a little nervous," said LHS junior center Brad Frederick. "No one knew what to expect."

The teams played even the rest of the way, but Heights (1-1) could come no closer than 9 points at 58-49 with 6:14 left.

"I think we had a little letdown in the second half," Schreiner said. "We rebounded exceptionally well in the first half, but we didn't rebound well in the second half."

Butler led all scorers with 20 points. Tye Wilson added 16 and Jared Hermann 13 for the Lions. Brad Parscale, a 6-8 center, led the T-Birds with 18 points on just 7-of-19 shooting.

"It seemed like their big man struggled," Frederick said. "We played good defense on him. Then they were just running around trying to shoot three-pointers."

Heights hit four of 15 threes, while the Lions canned four of seven. LHS hit 54 percent (28 of 51) of their field goals.

"I don't want to single anyone out," Schreiner said. "I thought everybody contributed."

Indeed, 12 Lions played and 10 scored. The bench play was made even more important by the starters' foul trouble. By the end of the first quarter, all five starters had at least one foul apiece, and by halftime four of the five had two apiece.

"We did have a lot of fouls," said Frederick, who scored seven points before fouling out. "I guess that's a tribute to the bench. We played a lot of players."

In the junior varsity game, LHS lost its opener, 78-71. Jason Morris led the Lions with 26 points.

Lawrence will play host to Leavenworth on Tuesday. Tipoff is approximately 7:30 p.m., following the JV game at 6.

That's a horrendous line for a 6'8" big playing 5A high school basketball. I'm stunned that I never played against or heard of this dude.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2020, 03:08:18 PM »

Brad was on my fall and summer league teams in Topeka for a couple years.  Always thought he was pretty quiet and low key. Had no idea he was the Trump Parscale until about a year ago.  Small world.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »

Brad was on my fall and summer league teams in Topeka for a couple years.  Always thought he was pretty quiet and low key. Had no idea he was the Trump Parscale until about a year ago.  Small world.

:Wha:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: where the heck did brad parscale play basketball in Junior college?
« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2020, 05:51:09 AM »
Damn. I was hoping that brad was the super tall dude from circa 2000 that played at Topeka high.

Anyone remember that dude?  Had to have been legit 7 feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2020, 10:32:55 AM »
Yeah he was 7 foot and ran like an 8 sec 40. I think his name was Daniel
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2020, 11:18:33 AM »
Daniel Gilchrist - 7'5" 330lbs in 01. 2006 article says 7'7".

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2020, 01:34:52 PM »
LOL, that's even bigger than I remember!  couldn't move but he beat my falcons in 2000 to end the season.  He blocked a three pointer at the top of the key from about the free throw line!

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2020, 01:36:36 PM »
My bud is 6'5" and played center against him  :lol:

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2020, 01:10:50 AM »
Daniel Gilchrist - 7'5" 330lbs in 01. 2006 article says 7'7".

Holy crap!

Not even a hint of gigantism.

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2020, 12:17:04 PM »
He's an actor! Zero chance he's typecast.