Author Topic: Ruth Bader Ginsberg Dies at 87  (Read 8098 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Ruth Bader Ginsberg Dies at 87
« Reply #100 on: September 25, 2020, 11:01:35 AM »
I feel like the Republican establishment is in the worst position on this.  They have no real win out of this. 

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 25, 2020, 11:03:29 AM »
It is extremely interesting to consider that trump would increase his chances by not having a vote.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 25, 2020, 12:12:47 PM »
On Monday, Sept. 21, Pod Save America released an episode of their podcast that I think was called "RBG and the Fight To Come." Really well-done episode where they slice and dice all the possible outcomes and situations, and go deep on why expanding the court is going to be an absolute necessity in the next few years.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 25, 2020, 12:32:59 PM »
This seems like something they wouldn't do, but should.

https://twitter.com/JonWalkerDC/status/1309543470957174785

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:32 PM »
It is extremely interesting to consider that trump would increase his chances by not having a vote.
He isn't playing 3D chess like I am.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2020, 01:23:56 PM »
I feel like the Republican establishment is in the worst position on this.  They have no real win out of this. 

the win is filling the seat with Trump's nomination. it's probably worth more than anything they'd give up

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2020, 01:25:23 PM »

the win is filling the seat with Trump's nomination. it's probably worth more than anything they'd give up

Unless they lose the senate and the dems pack the court. Then they don't gain anything.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: September 25, 2020, 01:28:39 PM »

Unless they lose the senate and the dems pack the court. Then they don't gain anything.

I don't trust the Democrats to follow through on packing the court

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: September 25, 2020, 01:29:19 PM »

They wouldn't lose the senate because of the quick nomination (IMO)

and as chicat alluded dems like to think they have higher moral standards

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: September 25, 2020, 02:16:32 PM »

I mean yes that's a win but big picture I think it turns into an overall negative.  They get the backlash of pushing through a nomination, the nominee will probably have to be more moderate to get it in so quick.  I guess another positive would be they can not vote for Trump and feel better about it since they already got their justice in.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 25, 2020, 02:26:49 PM »
On Monday, Sept. 21, Pod Save America released an episode of their podcast that I think was called "RBG and the Fight To Come." Really well-done episode where they slice and dice all the possible outcomes and situations, and go deep on why expanding the court is going to be an absolute necessity in the next few years.

I would recommend not getting any insights on how politics work from the Pod Save America guys.  You'd be better off understanding that the Republicans are going to do this and the Democrats aren't going to do anything that could stop them.

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 25, 2020, 02:35:13 PM »
I cannot listen to them on any topic. It’s awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: September 25, 2020, 02:36:59 PM »
I've tried because 'clams is a big fan, but it's def not for me
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 25, 2020, 02:49:52 PM »
I cannot listen to them on any topic. It’s awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yep.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 25, 2020, 09:24:34 PM »
my first reaction was that they'd wait until after the election for the senate vote, but on second thought, they may not worry about it.  if they can push it through before, they may do that.  they can let collins vote against, if she thinks that helps her, and it's far from certain it would hurt anyone else.

at any rate, a sc justice is worth losing a senator or two, if there is an electoral penalty.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 25, 2020, 09:37:57 PM »
There is more unforseen circumstances risk with waiting until after. I think McConnell would straight up trade control of the senate for a justice if offered.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 25, 2020, 09:54:53 PM »
No way they wait
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: September 25, 2020, 10:01:01 PM »
There is more unforseen circumstances risk with waiting until after. I think McConnell would straight up trade control of the senate for a justice if offered.

I feel like that would be short sighted. I feel like this entire thing is short sighted and based out of the fear of a trump loss.

The Republicans could have made a big deal about waiting until after the election, the senators in trouble could make a big deal about being uniters, gain some points, and steal momentum. At the absolute very worst a moderate judge gets confirmed by Biden, and they still have a 5-4 conservative majority. They will still get to gut obamacare this fall with only 8 justices. Now they look completely foolish by pushing this through, the democrats can spend the entire month of October making these senators look like fools. When the dems use this to gain a majority in the senate, they may or may not pack the SC, but they have definitely gotten the green light to take some big swings at reforms.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 25, 2020, 10:03:37 PM »
Confirm now you impact change for decades, wait and you maybe do but also could make it more balanced.  I agree with chum1
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: September 26, 2020, 06:55:00 AM »
I think I'm probably a textualist

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 26, 2020, 09:52:33 AM »

I feel like that would be short sighted. I feel like this entire thing is short sighted and based out of the fear of a trump loss.

The Republicans could have made a big deal about waiting until after the election, the senators in trouble could make a big deal about being uniters, gain some points, and steal momentum. At the absolute very worst a moderate judge gets confirmed by Biden, and they still have a 5-4 conservative majority. They will still get to gut obamacare this fall with only 8 justices. Now they look completely foolish by pushing this through, the democrats can spend the entire month of October making these senators look like fools. When the dems use this to gain a majority in the senate, they may or may not pack the SC, but they have definitely gotten the green light to take some big swings at reforms.
I don’t think looking foolish has been a concern for Republicans for the last 2-3 years.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 30, 2020, 12:15:27 PM »
There is more unforeseen circumstances risk with waiting until after.

Good point here. They can't afford to risk losing any votes.

https://twitter.com/maggieNYT/status/1311264250766204928

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: September 30, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »
The few people I talk politics with are voting Trump because they are worried about their guns being taken away.  Maybe a right court will help alleviate that so that a lot of center-right midwesterners can stop voting every single office based that wedge issue.  I mean, if this is a possibility, whatevs, lets try a right court for a while. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: September 30, 2020, 12:39:30 PM »
The few people I talk politics with are voting Trump because they are worried about their guns being taken away.  Maybe a right court will help alleviate that so that a lot of center-right midwesterners can stop voting every single office based that wedge issue.  I mean, if this is a possibility, whatevs, lets try a right court for a while.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: September 30, 2020, 12:46:21 PM »

You have to remember: these people are stupid. A 6-3 conservative Supreme Court would not alleviate their fears at all, because, well, they're too stupid to see the bigger picture. They eagerly lap up the red meat that their local and federal politicians throw out to get them foaming at the mouth, even though the things they're throwing out are not based in any reality whatsoever. Do you think those politicians will STOP fear-mongering about evil Democrats coming to take their guns once there's a 6-3 court? Of course not, they know it excites the vast swath of stupid people in their base who believe every word of it no matter how divorced from reality and history it is.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12