Author Topic: Whites of privilege; drawn like moths to a flame to making fun of poor whites  (Read 4922 times)

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

Growing up, Applebee's was one of the "fancy" restaurants you would go to for birthdays, high school dances, etc., because there just weren't many other options. I didn't realize until moving to larger cities that Applebee's was not fine dining

Like it wasn't even on my radar for fine dining.

This feels like big city boys punching down on small town boys. All the rich kids would go to Wichita to eat at Macaroni Grille or Olive Garden. For the rest of us, it was Applebee's or crap on a shingle.

I remember thinking how great it was to eat at Applebee’s for the first time in like 6th grade. I’m pretty sure I arrived at college thinking it was fine dining.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
I was pretty blitzed when I posted OP, but it’s something that’s been on my mind since just after last election.Its imo a huge reason why Trump is president. You have dozens of millions of people with little hope and futures that look(ed) worse than the present and past. Opiate addiction skyrocketing (thanks big pharma), people succumbing to the reality that the manufacturing type jobs that once could feed a family were being replaced by low wage service-type work and the like.

Poverty, generational poverty, doesn’t care what color you are. But people seem too. What’s left is an underclass, the last remaining crap stain for the rest of society to laugh at mock and ridicule.

Trump is the blowback.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/492731/

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/08/01/605084163/why-its-still-ok-to-trash-poor-white-people

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/08/poor-whites-have-been-written-out-of-history-for-a-very-political-reason

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_White

If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
Not that I’m not guilty as well. You can check my post history. Former poors can’t wait to separate ourselves from those left behind.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I was pretty blitzed when I posted OP, but it’s something that’s been on my mind since just after last election.Its imo a huge reason why Trump is president. You have dozens of millions of people with little hope and futures that look(ed) worse than the present and past. Opiate addiction skyrocketing (thanks big pharma), people succumbing to the reality that the manufacturing type jobs that once could feed a family were being replaced by low wage service-type work and the like.

Poverty, generational poverty, doesn’t care what color you are. But people seem too. What’s left is an underclass, the last remaining crap stain for the rest of society to laugh at mock and ridicule.

Trump is the blowback.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theatlantic.com/amp/article/492731/

https://www.npr.org/sections/codeswitch/2018/08/01/605084163/why-its-still-ok-to-trash-poor-white-people

https://jacobinmag.com/2019/08/poor-whites-have-been-written-out-of-history-for-a-very-political-reason

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poor_White
You should read "The Righteous Mind". It was written pre-Trump but I think the author makes pretty decent arguments that suggest Trump's rise wasn't as simple as you describe (even if I don't agree with all his conclusions).

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
My bad, not saying it’s simple or the, but a big reason. Also, Trump’s election just an anecdote. For sure will read the book. The manipulation of people, but more specifically poor and working class types is both depressing and fascinating.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Applebees has awesome fries.

They don't stay crisp for very long

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think the Applebee's thing is fundamentally different from typical aggrieved Trump/conservative voter stuff, which definitely exists. Seems more to me like music snob stuff, just newer. Foodie stuff.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Applebees has awesome fries.

They don't stay crisp for very long
Luckily I never needed them to.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
I think the Applebee's thing is fundamentally different from typical aggrieved Trump/conservative voter stuff, which definitely exists. Seems more to me like music snob stuff, just newer. Foodie stuff.

So does that make applebees nickelback or skynard?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

good comparo

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

good comparo

I think the difference is foodie-ism definitely has more of a class structure that parallels wealth than music snobbery. there's not a lot of privileged whites who would admit to loving Applebee's, but there are a ton that love Sknynrd, or at least one or two songs.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

good comparo

I think the difference is foodie-ism definitely has more of a class structure that parallels wealth than music snobbery. there's not a lot of privileged whites who would admit to loving Applebee's, but there are a ton that love Sknynrd, or at least one or two songs.

Maybe. Though, Trump voters are definitely not aggrieved by issues of wealth or class.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Prob cause skynard rocks and 'bee's is the definition of blah
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I say that as someone who went to Applebee's probably at least once a month for many years with my parents and I just always thought their peer chains were vastly better
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My dad goes every year on his birthday because he eats for free. His birthday is Veterans Day and he's a veteran.

When I was a kid I would have loved to gone to Applebees on occasion but we were too poor to eat out.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
My favorite applebees story was when I lived in champaign and me and my two roommates decided to visit the 'bees.  We were all pretty excited and Roommate 2 (a hefty fella) was like "dlew we going 2 for 20?" and i was like "right on, brother!"

when the waiter came around she started with Roommate 2 and he was like "yeah i'll do the 2 for 20 and get a chicken tenders and the cheeseburger quesadilla and an order of mozzarella sticks."  that's when it hit me that he thought we were both doing our own, separate 2 for 20s.  Really rattled me.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My favorite applebees story was when I lived in champaign and me and my two roommates decided to visit the 'bees.  We were all pretty excited and Roommate 2 (a hefty fella) was like "dlew we going 2 for 20?" and i was like "right on, brother!"

when the waiter came around she started with Roommate 2 and he was like "yeah i'll do the 2 for 20 and get a chicken tenders and the cheeseburger quesadilla and an order of mozzarella sticks."  that's when it hit me that he thought we were both doing our own, separate 2 for 20s.  Really rattled me.

:lol:

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
An interesting thing about Applebees, they showed up in the mid eighties and back then restaurant menus were pretty unimaginative.  They changed all that and in my mind spurred the super creative indy foodie restaurant boom.  So thanks Applebees, tip o the cap.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
An interesting thing about Applebees, they showed up in the mid eighties and back then restaurant menus were pretty unimaginative.  They changed all that and in my mind spurred the super creative indy foodie restaurant boom.  So thanks Applebees, tip o the cap.

did they invent fusion food? :surprised:

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
it was a wild time. Thinking back to that sizzler promo commercial but i don't remember what thread it was posted in a long time ago. will repost link here tho just b/c wow what an incredible time to be alive. wow.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YGtQ40Qvs[/youtube]

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

did they invent fusion food? :surprised:

"yeah i'll do the 2 for 20 and get a chicken tenders and the cheeseburger quesadilla and an order of mozzarella sticks." 
:surprised:

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
it was a wild time. Thinking back to that sizzler promo commercial but i don't remember what thread it was posted in a long time ago. will repost link here tho just b/c wow what an incredible time to be alive. wow.

Anthony Bourdain filmed part of an episode of "No Reservations" in Sizzler.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile

Oh man!

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile

Man, I watched that whole thing... incredible
:adios:

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Ponderosa.