Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 89260 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1200 on: February 11, 2024, 04:23:20 PM »

There is no such thing as a P4 job any more.  There is Power 2 and Second 2.  Some guys will be OK with settling for Second 2 jobs. Do we want one that is?

I think more precisely, there's teams that can realistically win national titles, and teams that cannot. And there's a whole lotta "P2" jobs that won't realistically win national titles and are not automatically better than any job outside of the P2. (Minnesota included).

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: February 11, 2024, 04:30:09 PM »
Sure Minnesota isn't going to win a championship but they can pay more than non-p2 schools to not win championships
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: February 11, 2024, 04:31:23 PM »
There is no such thing as a P4 job any more.  There is Power 2 and Second 2.  Some guys will be OK with settling for Second 2 jobs. Do we want one that is?

:ROFL:

Now I'm certain you are 100% trolling. A program who is expected to compete for the ACC and Big 12 is a significantly better job than a program in the Big 10 and SEC who hopes to win 9 games and isn't even thinking about the CFP. Fans obsessed with TV payouts will be studied and laughed at in a generation from now much like we laugh about people who think college athletes should only get scholarships.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: February 11, 2024, 04:44:50 PM »
Hey coach, you should come work for us because there are 5 teams who can win the conference and 3 of them will beat your ass every year, so you'll have to win the other 9 every year to make any of your fans give a crap. Some people on twitter won't make fun of you though because Ohio State and USC make it to the semi final every year. Sound good?

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: February 11, 2024, 04:59:32 PM »
Sure we can only pay 60% what Minnesota can, but at least you have an opportunity to win a conference over ucf and west Virginia!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: February 11, 2024, 05:41:35 PM »
Sure we can only pay 60% what Minnesota can, but at least you have an opportunity to win a conference over ucf and west Virginia!
How long will Minnesota play 67% more for an 8-4 ceiling? I don't know but I don't think they will spend proportionately more on an already inflated salary forever

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: February 11, 2024, 07:39:07 PM »
How long will Minnesota play 67% more for an 8-4 ceiling? I don't know but I don't think they will spend proportionately more on an already inflated salary forever

Do you think this stops fcs g5 coaches from going to "the second 2"?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 11, 2024, 07:49:19 PM »

Do you think this stops fcs coaches from going to "the second 2"?

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but do you think the gap from FCS to the Big 12 is equal to or smaller than the gap from the Big 12 to the Big 10?

My general point is that the best/hottest coach in the Big 12 won't automatically take any Big 10 job if offered, especially if it's the bottom half of the Big 10.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 11, 2024, 08:00:01 PM »
Well the hottest b12 coordinators sure as hell do
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 11, 2024, 08:08:25 PM »
Like CK to aTm or the KU guy to Penn State? Do you think they would have taken the same role at Minnesota or Purdue or Kentucky or South Carolina or Mississippi State or Mizzou or......

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 11, 2024, 08:33:06 PM »
Like CK to aTm or the KU guy to Penn State? Do you think they would have taken the same role at Minnesota or Purdue or Kentucky or South Carolina or Mississippi State or Mizzou or......

How could I know what they would do? A&M isn't better than any of those programs if that's what you mean.

When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 11, 2024, 08:41:46 PM »
A&M isn't better than any of those programs if that's what you mean.

If you genuinely think Purdue and Minnesota and aTm would all compete for the same coordinator and head coaching candidates, I think we're done here

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 11, 2024, 10:09:38 PM »

I'm not entirely sure what you're getting at but do you think the gap from FCS to the Big 12 is equal to or smaller than the gap from the Big 12 to the Big 10?

My general point is that the best/hottest coach in the Big 12 won't automatically take any Big 10 job if offered, especially if it's the bottom half of the Big 10.

I edited too late and meant g5. The gap between 2 and second 2 is small right now, but I don't see any reason to believe it's not going to increase.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 11, 2024, 10:50:02 PM »

Now I'm certain you are 100% trolling. A program who is expected to compete for the ACC and Big 12 is a significantly better job than a program in the Big 10 and SEC who hopes to win 9 games and isn't even thinking about the CFP. Fans obsessed with TV payouts will be studied and laughed at in a generation from now much like we laugh about people who think college athletes should only get scholarships.

Dude, you are wrong about everthing ever that has to do with the combination of  $ and college football. 

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 11, 2024, 10:51:51 PM »

I edited too late and meant g5. The gap between 2 and second 2 is small right now, but I don't see any reason to believe it's not going to increase.

The gap is going to get bigger and bigger, and will eventually be just those two doing their own thing in both mens football and mens basketball.  Wouldn't be surprised if it turned into all sports.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 11, 2024, 11:03:21 PM »

Dude, you are wrong about everthing ever that has to do with the combination of  $ and college football.
Well, everything is too harsh. But A LOT! :shakesfist:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1216 on: February 12, 2024, 06:36:14 AM »

G5 coaches have been turning down "Second 2" jobs forever. Especially if they're at the best G5 jobs.

But my general point is there's no clear ranking of coaching jobs based entirely on conference affiliation - every coach and opening will be unique. I mean, this discussion was set off by a P2 head coach taking a coordinator role in the same conference, which should never happen in your theoretical ranking system.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 12, 2024, 09:48:03 PM »

The gap is going to get bigger and bigger, and will eventually be just those two doing their own thing in both mens football and mens basketball.  Wouldn't be surprised if it turned into all sports.

Link? The thread is right here, can't be hard to find.

My take is that there always have and will be a gap between the haves and have nots. I'm not particularly sure why this media contract is freaking you out so badly, I have no idea what's different. The thought that all 16 Big 10 schools are better jobs than every school in the Big 12 and ACC is asinine. An already multigenerationally rich coach isn't going to leave a perennial top 25 job for a job with less chance of success and less job security for a few more bucks. Rich, successful people don't move like that. It's the same as the dumb ass talking point that every player is up for the highest bidder, no matter the other circumstances, it's ludicrous.