Author Topic: 202x Coaching Carousel  (Read 89295 times)

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
Re: 202x Coaching Carousel
« Reply #1000 on: November 13, 2023, 09:57:58 AM »
eff, if a sane person were leading aTm’s coaching search they would be looking to hire someone who can just flat out coach, and who gives a crap what their record is on recruiting.  Pay crap money and dare them to make you extend them.

Doesn't that fit the profile of Lance Lightpole and Klieman?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1001 on: November 13, 2023, 10:20:36 AM »
LL and Klieman are not sexy enough for a top tier job.  Both would be more likely to picked off by a traditionally frisky but mid-SEC or B10 job.  Nebraska (if not a dumpster fire), Michigan State (if not a dumpster fire), Arkansas, and Wisconsin are the ones that I could see going for them if available.  Other B10 or SEC jobs are too good, too delusional, or too shitty to hire them.

The Jimbo hire was outside of the norm for A&M. I do think they will at least try to hire a Klieman, Leopold, Elko program builder type. Also no idea why no one is mentioning Jamey Chadwell, but he's definitely going to be a P4 head coach in 2024.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1002 on: November 13, 2023, 10:31:44 AM »
Klieman couldn't handle any of the smoke at A&M, he barely functions here.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1003 on: November 13, 2023, 10:32:04 AM »
LL and Klieman are not sexy enough for a top tier job.  Both would be more likely to picked off by a traditionally frisky but mid-SEC or B10 job.  Nebraska (if not a dumpster fire), Michigan State (if not a dumpster fire), Arkansas, and Wisconsin are the ones that I could see going for them if available.  Other B10 or SEC jobs are too good, too delusional, or too shitty to hire them.

The Jimbo hire was outside of the norm for A&M. I do think they will at least try to hire a Klieman, Leopold, Elko program builder type. Also no idea why no one is mentioning Jamey Chadwell, but he's definitely going to be a P4 head coach in 2024.

It seemed pretty in the norm for me. Before Sumlin (who I would argue was more about being the hottest name at the time rather than a "program builder") they hired an NFL coach for goodness sake.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1004 on: November 13, 2023, 10:36:35 AM »

The A&M job is very attractive to established coaches who want to cash in an early retirement. Otherwise it's hard to imagine anyone with a bunch of experience wanting to coach a team that somehow thinks it's always a year or two away from a national title while simultaneously being mostly irrelevant for the better part of 20 years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1005 on: November 13, 2023, 01:51:08 PM »
If I was a coach in my 50's, I would have to at least have those idiots and their dog in my living room so that I could see their stupid overly flush faces while I probe to see if they learned their buyout lesson or if we are going to make a deal. 

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1006 on: November 13, 2023, 02:04:24 PM »

The A&M job is very attractive to established coaches who want to cash in an early retirement. Otherwise it's hard to imagine anyone with a bunch of experience wanting to coach a team that somehow thinks it's always a year or two away from a national title while simultaneously being mostly irrelevant for the better part of 20 years.

To be clear I think if they just let him coach football like Gene has here, he would be successful.  His assistants at KSU attend and represent the football team at a lot of functions the HC normally would.  He also gets pretty bristly with any amount of negativity from the media/fanbase around the program and it would be 100x that in college station.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1007 on: November 13, 2023, 02:22:33 PM »
klieman gets bristly at the media? what are some examples?

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1008 on: November 13, 2023, 02:33:38 PM »

Several games during the covid years he was chastising the media that the kids needed positivity. His weird one sentence answer and then sprint off halftime interview against Baylor was another recent one.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1009 on: November 13, 2023, 02:41:41 PM »

Several games during the covid years he was chastising the media that the kids needed positivity. His weird one sentence answer and then sprint off halftime interview against Baylor was another recent one.

yeah I guess that covid year there was something like that. And he's had decent enough success since then that hasn't led to much contention. But are you referring to the interview at halftime Saturday? That interview wasn't weird at all - he gave a pretty long answer about momentum and Baylor coming out and a quick one sentence answer about liking Will Howard in the offense.

Like, I think most of the SEC coaches are just as whiny/thin-skinned if not moreso, with Lane probably being the only exception but I'm sure he's very whiny if you pay attention.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1010 on: November 13, 2023, 02:49:00 PM »
The "Will Howard. Period" thing was weird imo.  Seems like it was in the same vein as Sinnott last week.  In light of the body of work thru week 10 our fanbase has (myself included) been overly harsh to Will and it seems like the staff/team are vocally pushing back on that. I don't think Klieman is whiny at all relative to other coaches, I just think he would hate the crap out of every single day he coached at A&M.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1011 on: November 13, 2023, 02:53:50 PM »
The "Will Howard. Period" thing was weird imo.  Seems like it was in the same vein as Sinnott last week.  In light of the body of work thru week 10 our fanbase has (myself included) been overly harsh to Will and it seems like the staff/team are vocally pushing back on that. I don't think Klieman is whiny at all relative to other coaches, I just think he would hate the crap out of every single day he coached at A&M.

I think any self-respecting coach would. If A&M were a Twitter poster, it would be a total beta who has "(Alpha Male)" in its handle. If you have to continuously tell people you're an alpha, I've got some bad news for you ....

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1012 on: November 13, 2023, 03:36:46 PM »

Several games during the covid years he was chastising the media that the kids needed positivity.

He did that once and it was three years ago.

Offline bananaeater

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1013 on: November 13, 2023, 03:40:20 PM »

I think any self-respecting coach would. If A&M were a Twitter poster, it would be a total beta who has "(Alpha Male)" in its handle. If you have to continuously tell people you're an alpha, I've got some bad news for you ....
Spracs in here speaking truth about aTm weirdos.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1014 on: November 13, 2023, 03:48:10 PM »
What are the odds that Harbaugh is coaching Michigan next year?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1015 on: November 13, 2023, 03:48:35 PM »

It seemed pretty in the norm for me. Before Sumlin (who I would argue was more about being the hottest name at the time rather than a "program builder") they hired an NFL coach for goodness sake.
Sumlin was a g5 head coach
Sherman was the offensive coordinator, of the freaking Houston Texans
Dennis Franchione was at Alabama but he was 17-8 and they were facing a 2 year bowl van and loss of 21 scholarships
RC Slocum was the A&M defensive coordinator

Jimbo is the anomaly here, by far.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1016 on: November 13, 2023, 03:49:20 PM »

Eh, fair I think. Can he find an NFL job?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1017 on: November 13, 2023, 03:54:38 PM »

Absolutely he can. How many available coaches will have "made it to a Super Bowl" on their resume?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1018 on: November 13, 2023, 04:16:17 PM »

Absolutely he can. How many available coaches will have "made it to a Super Bowl" on their resume?

When he left, there was lots of rumors about him wearing his welcome out

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1019 on: November 13, 2023, 04:23:22 PM »
If you guys think that A&M (or their donor base) want CK, you're crazy. No way they reach out to the levels of picking up coaches from KSU, KU, Tulane, etc. They'll go after a big/hot name and overspend like they always do.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #1020 on: November 13, 2023, 04:28:37 PM »
If you guys think that A&M (or their donor base) want CK, you're crazy. No way they reach out to the levels of picking up coaches from KSU, KU, Tulane, etc. They'll go after a big/hot name and overspend like they always do.
I don’t know if you know this but we ARE the standard in college football now. We have to worry about these kinds of things. Because we are at the top.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1021 on: November 13, 2023, 04:32:18 PM »

I think you're probably right, because they want to keep that money pump flowing with their rich, dumb donors who should be focusing their philanthropy on things that actually matter (but it's a cult). And they'll continue to be mediocre for it. If aTm hired a CK or a LL who had the full support of the AD and UP (sorry for all the initialisms), they would seriously be a powerhouse. As it is, I'm sure they'll continue to throw good money after bad because big brother is back in town, and death is better than losing to Texas University.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1022 on: November 13, 2023, 04:38:23 PM »

yeah I guess that covid year there was something like that. And he's had decent enough success since then that hasn't led to much contention. But are you referring to the interview at halftime Saturday? That interview wasn't weird at all - he gave a pretty long answer about momentum and Baylor coming out and a quick one sentence answer about liking Will Howard in the offense.

Like, I think most of the SEC coaches are just as whiny/thin-skinned if not moreso, with Lane probably being the only exception but I'm sure he's very whiny if you pay attention.

It's funny you mention that because Lane said about a week ago that if you want to coach a team that doesn't win very many games and get paid unreal money, go talk to A&M.  LOL
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1023 on: November 13, 2023, 04:46:31 PM »

About the same odds, Art Briles had with Baylor.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1024 on: November 13, 2023, 04:51:23 PM »

Those dumb effs were broke when they left the Big XII and I would bet their on their way to blowing all their AD cash if not now it will be soon.