Author Topic: Posts on your neighborhood's facebook or Nextdoor group  (Read 32182 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Posts on your neighborhood's facebook or Nextdoor group
« Reply #450 on: July 29, 2021, 05:26:59 PM »
oh dear

Is Music Illegal in Alameda? An open letter to our city.        Hi Debbie,
Since I have not received a response or explanation from APD, and my application was arbitrarily denied without a stated reason, I feel that it is necessary for me to raise my voice and ask questions publicly.
As you can imagine, I am extremely upset. My 10th Wedding Anniversary is an emotional event with deep significance, and to be forbidden from celebrating that monument in front of my own house is a special kick to the gut. Beyond that, as a professional musician for 20+ years, the amount of disdain shown by the city towards my profession is equally baffling and insulting. As an Arts Advocate, serving on the boards of Rhythmix Cultural Works and the San Francisco Chapter of the Recording Academy as an elected governor, I am dismayed by the callousness and lack of understanding towards the positive role of music in our community and can’t believe the city government and especially the Police Department can take a stance AGAINST live music in our city. As Chair of the Subcommittee on Unbundling Services Currently Delivered by the Police, you of all people should understand that APD should not be involved in stopping live music from happening in our town.
Since I have had no response or explanation from APD, I can only assume, unless the decision is completely arbitrary or come to using some special discriminatory agenda, that this denial is related to music that has been happening on our block. This dates back to March of 2020, when myself and all other professional musicians were abruptly out of work due to the state-wide lockdown imposed by the governor. Feeling the intense gloominess in the air, I went onto my front porch on that Friday evening and began to play my guitar as an expression and outlet of emotion during an oppressive time. Soon other neighbors began to join in, my neighbor across the street pulling out a drum, a neighbor from around the corner carrying over an upright bass. Over many weeks during the height of the pandemic this evolved into a ritual, an organic, spontaneous community event on Friday evenings on our block. Others, feeling uplifted by the positive spirit of the music, began showing up, bringing camping chairs and snacks. As there is almost no through traffic on our block, kids were playing and laughing in the street, part of a joyous family event that brought joy and happiness to many during a bleak time. During this time, several times Alameda Police Officers came by, surveyed the scene, sometimes stayed for a bit to listen to music, and in general advised us that we should continue, as long as we were staying safe, with everyone wearing masks and outdoors. We heard stories of similar community porch concerts popping up all across the city.
As the days got shorter, we decided as a community to stop the Friday porch jams at the Daylight Savings break when it got dark much earlier and the evenings were colder.  Many people asked when the concerts would start up again, and in the Spring when the time changed we as a community of neighbors decided to celebrate with another porch concert. Trying to be conscientious to all our neighbors, I stipulated that we would stop music promptly at 8:30, which seemed like a very reasonable time still during daylight hours. The atmosphere was elated and hopeful after a dark winter, with people from around the island dancing in the street and fostering a strong sense of community.
Right at 8:30 we stopped the music, and that’s when one very angry woman ran up to my door, yelling at me about the music and complaining that she could not watch her TV shows during the 2 hours that music was happening. I told her that she seemed very upset that it was a community event that I was not in charge of. She then ran around to others yelling at them and causing a scene. After that, every Friday without fail, she called the police to complain about music. One of the officers who later spoke to me said that her complaints included “this isn’t that kind of neighborhood” and “what if someone got into a fight” and “what if someone brought a gun,” complaints that are clearly racist and discriminatory. Am I to understand that because Black and Brown people were coming to this community event that it should be shut down? Is it the fact that Latin music and African music are being played that provokes such ire and vitriol in one white woman? And if my permit is denied because of these racist complaints, are you OK with the Alameda Police Department enforcing racist policies?
Furthermore, of the many times police interacted with us on these Fridays, they always told us that we were not doing anything illegal, and that they were forced to respond to all calls they receive. They vaguely sighted a noise ordinance, which sets a level of 75 decibels (an absurdly arbitrary and low bar, equivalent of a neighbor running a vacuum cleaner) but noted that the noise must be a nuisance, and when there are 75 people enjoying themselves and listening to the music it is difficult to call that noise a nuisance just because one person complained. Once they brought a decibel meter and measured us at barely reaching that low bar and asked us to continue.
We had a police officer visit our home under the guise of mediation, on Father’s Day (a Sunday) who yet again did not cite any law that we were breaking, but vaguely inferred that there could be some State misdemeanor citation, to which I replied, “are you telling me that it is illegal to play music in California? Because that is not true.” The officer concluded with the statement, “it’s a free country,” to which I agreed and told him that I would continue to practice my freedom to play music, which I believe not only to be a First Amendment right, but also a human right. For the citie’s “Porch of July” events, the city asked us to participate by playing music and delivered official signs to my house. I spoke with an Alameda Police Officer just last week, who expressed dismay that the police were forced to respond repeatedly when we were not doing anything illegal. I told him I was planning to apply for a permit, and he told me I should, and that that would solve the problem. Immagine my disbelief when my application was denied.
I must say that I feel my permit has been unfairly denied, without explanation. Last year my neighbors across the street were easily approved for the exact same permit, in fact they forwarded me the paperwork. On what grounds would applications from the same exact block be treated differently? Am I to forfeit the $125 that I paid for special event insurance needed just for the application? I would like to see a written policy on when and why the police department may deny an application, and if one cannot be provided then I assume I am being discriminated against. If a policy does exist that discourages live music, I submit to our public officials that that policy needs immediate review.
I am forwarding this open letter to the Mayor and Vice Mayor, City Council Members, the Police Chief, the Alameda Sun, Alameda Peeps, and other interested parties, and encourage it to be shared widely with anyone who believes in the power of music and community.  I am also strongly considering holding the event without a permit, since I feel my application was unfairly denied without explanation. Furthermore, I will henceforth double down my efforts to change Alameda policies to encourage music and the arts and their positive effects on our community.
Thank you,
Camilo Landau

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: July 29, 2021, 08:46:12 PM »
LET THEM PLAY!  LET THEM PLAY!

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: July 29, 2021, 08:57:54 PM »
At one time having a Naval Air Station, good.   Today, don't play over 75db

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: August 24, 2021, 10:59:20 AM »
I'm not in support of the stealing of fairy doors (or throwing them). I do admire many of them. But I do think that the fairy doors have gotten out of hand. I now see rectangles drawn on cardboard and permanently glued to a tree or bridge. The original fairy doors were quite artisanal and well-placed. I don't know what to do about it (so I don't). But I wouldn't be surprised if at some point the fairy doors on public property were cleared out by the city. [I'm not a hater, just a realist - be gentle]

excuse you, a fairy door is a fairy door no matter the material used. Soo sorry if the aesthetic isn't to your liking. Suggesting that they be served eviction notices by the authorities because of your "feeelings" is the most entitled TOWN thing I have heard today. There is nothing for you to do about it. Do something good with your time. Here is a link to the Food Bank volunteer site, they need a lot of help in September, and you don't have to look at a single unattractive fairy door. Wow.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 11:40:23 AM by michigancat »

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: August 24, 2021, 11:36:13 AM »
Lol
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: August 24, 2021, 01:23:48 PM »
How many other entitled TOWN things had they heard that day?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: August 31, 2021, 08:38:58 AM »
A guy in my neighborhood asked if anyone bowled because he needed a guy on his team ("must avg at least 160" lol).  So anyway, I'm subbing on his team now.  Nice little use of nextdoor right there.

Also on nextdoor, someone posted this got put in her mailbox.  The author seems like a real wildcard:

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: August 31, 2021, 09:01:57 AM »
Defence! Defence! Defence!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: August 31, 2021, 09:04:47 AM »
A guy in my neighborhood asked if anyone bowled because he needed a guy on his team ("must avg at least 160" lol).  So anyway, I'm subbing on his team now.  Nice little use of nextdoor right there.

Also on nextdoor, someone posted this got put in her mailbox.  The author seems like a real wildcard:

holy crap. "drugy hippies"

sounds like a serious bowling league

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #459 on: August 31, 2021, 09:45:51 AM »

holy crap. "drugy hippies"

batshit crazy.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #460 on: August 31, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Only sociopaths are still using typewriters.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: August 31, 2021, 09:51:31 AM »
I just realized there are multiple pages to that letter

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: August 31, 2021, 09:53:23 AM »
It's really not fair to judge a letter by the first page. For all we know, the next 4 pages could be very reasonable.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #463 on: August 31, 2021, 10:04:46 AM »
hopefully!

i'm now in two bowling leagues which seems a little excessive upon self-reflection.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #464 on: August 31, 2021, 10:31:31 AM »
It's really not fair to judge a letter by the first page. For all we know, the next 4 pages could be very reasonable.

Hopefully there is more about "drugy hippies". Maybe, they are the ones building shitty fairy doors?

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #465 on: August 31, 2021, 11:23:14 AM »
Only sociopaths are still using typewriters.
Did you know that Tom Hanks developed an app call the Hanx Writer that lets you type up documents so they look like they were made with a typewriter?

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/hanx-writer/id868326899

Edit: speaking of Tom Hanks and typewriters, remember that scene in BoB when Winters is using the typewriter to generate his after action report? As he strikes the keys, his mind goes back to scenes of combat. Made me want to start using a typewriter.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 11:46:26 AM by Sandstone Outcropping »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 20, 2021, 05:32:40 AM »

Not spotted on nextdoor but yeesh

https://twitter.com/moleburps/status/1439736809068515331

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: February 10, 2022, 09:01:09 PM »

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: February 11, 2022, 10:00:31 AM »
what did I just read?

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: February 11, 2022, 10:02:14 AM »
Can't wait to try nutmeg in my eggs!

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: February 11, 2022, 10:05:23 AM »
I feel like Karen's name is very apropos.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: February 11, 2022, 10:05:55 AM »

Not spotted on nextdoor but yeesh

https://twitter.com/moleburps/status/1439736809068515331
Late to the party but it’s hilarious to see a sign and be like, “alright this is like 85% of what I believe. NOT BAD.”

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: February 11, 2022, 10:06:47 AM »
her sons just trying to nutmeg in her eggs.. relax karen

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: February 11, 2022, 10:27:24 AM »
i feel like she meant paprika? idk

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: February 11, 2022, 10:48:05 AM »
Off topic (or is it?) but when I was a young lad there was a skinemax movie where a hot alien (human looking) comes to earth and gets hooked on paprika because it makes her super horny.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite