Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94426 times)

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #550 on: August 03, 2020, 10:35:15 PM »
kashi I get a flu vaccine every year along with almost half of the country. back when I had an office they came and gave them every year. if you have health insurance, it's probably free but you're probably right that it should be free for everyone.
1. despite having a vaccine its estimated that it only reduces flu transmission by an average of 50%-60% estimated over decades. So the vaccine lowers transmission but there is still flu every year
2. my point is that with a vaccine or without a vaccine our society just doesn't worry much; think much; or do much (other than some of us get a free shot) to try to prevent any of the other viruses out there that cause myocarditis. Now are they as prevalent as corona currently is? No
so the incidence of myocarditis will probably be much higher because covid is being transmitted everywhere to everyone.
i guess if the flu was this contagious maybe we would be more concerned about it. But its amazing how invisible on the radar the flu is even during flu season. FYI if we end up living with corona for the rest of our lives my prediction will be that we will eventually become numb to it like we are to the flu. right now it is so new and unknown and different. A year from now it might still be around but not be on the front page any more

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: August 03, 2020, 10:39:50 PM »
Darren Rovell with a terrible tweet but there is at least one example of a hospitalization (at least the ER)

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1290406145866301443
hate to see that happen to anyone. hope it turns out to be acute in nature and he recovers quickly. it would be impossible to call this case permanent damage or even long lasting damage at this point. It requires continuing monitoring. its possible he could be on the field for the first game

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: August 03, 2020, 10:41:31 PM »
Flu has also been around for years and has predictable seasonal patterns, we have a pretty good idea of how it spreads, and we have hospital capacity designed for it.

So yeah I think if you could consistently knock covid in half with a vaccine, learn more about transmission, and build hospital capacity to support, I think things would be most of the way back to normal/we'll be "numb" to it. We just aren't there yet

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: August 03, 2020, 11:26:56 PM »
kashi I get a flu vaccine every year along with almost half of the country. back when I had an office they came and gave them every year. if you have health insurance, it's probably free but you're probably right that it should be free for everyone.
1. despite having a vaccine its estimated that it only reduces flu transmission by an average of 50%-60% estimated over decades. So the vaccine lowers transmission but there is still flu every year
2. my point is that with a vaccine or without a vaccine our society just doesn't worry much; think much; or do much (other than some of us get a free shot) to try to prevent any of the other viruses out there that cause myocarditis. Now are they as prevalent as corona currently is? No
so the incidence of myocarditis will probably be much higher because covid is being transmitted everywhere to everyone.
i guess if the flu was this contagious maybe we would be more concerned about it. But its amazing how invisible on the radar the flu is even during flu season. FYI if we end up living with corona for the rest of our lives my prediction will be that we will eventually become numb to it like we are to the flu. right now it is so new and unknown and different. A year from now it might still be around but not be on the front page any more
Diseases like rona and flu get less deadly over time due to mutations.

The deadly strains die out you dumb eff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: August 04, 2020, 04:18:51 AM »

this is not always the direction of viral evolution.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: August 04, 2020, 04:30:04 AM »
Maybe we should be doing more to prevent flu spread than we do? as a society we dont seem to give a rats ass if anyone gets the flu

i think a big part of our attitude towards the flu is that we don't really know what it is (like sciencewise we do, but not in the general culture).  like most years in my life, at some point i've caught some sort of respiratory illness and generally i've had no idea what it was and have guessed - welp i've got a cold or the flu or maybe it's allergies, i dunno.  i guess i'll drink more orange juice for a few days.

it wasn't until this spring that i paid any attention to the causes of those diseases and i now know enough to look back and realize i've probably only had an actual influenza infection once or twice in my life and what we call a cold is a catchall for the symptoms of like a hundred different minor respiratory illnesses.

so like, most of us probably has a concept of influenza as being a less serious and more prevalent illness than it actually is because we conflate it with all sorts of other respiratory illnesses that have superficially similar symptoms.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: August 04, 2020, 11:20:02 AM »
We are also blissfully ignorant that the flu kills tons of people a year despite a widely available vaccine.

I think it’s reasonable to assume we’ll end up with something like that with COVID too. Just as long as we can mitigate against rapid outbreaks I think most folks are good with it.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: August 04, 2020, 11:39:46 AM »
IMO "flu" is a branding problem. "Flu" is a cute little drink some orange juice setback but "influenza" sounds rough ridin' scary. I bet a large portion of folks don't know "flu" and "influenza" are the same thing.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: August 04, 2020, 01:55:33 PM »

you'd be wrong on that last point. flu deaths have been higher recently than in the past. despite increasing or stable vaccination rates

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #559 on: August 04, 2020, 05:14:03 PM »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: August 04, 2020, 05:23:01 PM »
Probably isolated to CSU.  You know those guys.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: August 04, 2020, 06:17:51 PM »
Maybe we should be doing more to prevent flu spread than we do? as a society we dont seem to give a rats ass if anyone gets the flu

i think a big part of our attitude towards the flu is that we don't really know what it is (like sciencewise we do, but not in the general culture).  like most years in my life, at some point i've caught some sort of respiratory illness and generally i've had no idea what it was and have guessed - welp i've got a cold or the flu or maybe it's allergies, i dunno.  i guess i'll drink more orange juice for a few days.

it wasn't until this spring that i paid any attention to the causes of those diseases and i now know enough to look back and realize i've probably only had an actual influenza infection once or twice in my life and what we call a cold is a catchall for the symptoms of like a hundred different minor respiratory illnesses.

so like, most of us probably has a concept of influenza as being a less serious and more prevalent illness than it actually is because we conflate it with all sorts of other respiratory illnesses that have superficially similar symptoms.

I don't know much about the flu, but I do know my dad died from it.  He was on life support due to the hosiptal trying to install a ventilator tube down his throat.  He fought them, so they gave him meds to put him to sleep.  That's when he went comatose with a 30% lose of lung function.  It took a week to decide to remove life support.  After that we thought he would pass quickly.  That was not the case, as he huffed and puffed for three days afterwards.  I was thankful when he finally passed, thinking that those same med staff wouldn't let a dog suffer like that.   
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: August 04, 2020, 09:15:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/Kevin_Lytle/status/1290766084212174848?s=19

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

The university president should fire the coach and the AD, if he/she doesn't the governor should.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: August 04, 2020, 10:58:45 PM »
https://twitter.com/Kevin_Lytle/status/1290766084212174848?s=19

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

The university president should fire the coach and the AD, if he/she doesn't the governor should.

That AD got gamed too. Hired Addazio on Urban Meyer’s recommendation, Addazio then hires Meyer’s son-in-law only to then have the SIL get a job at Ohio State.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: August 04, 2020, 11:16:26 PM »
Darren Rovell with a terrible tweet but there is at least one example of a hospitalization (at least the ER)

https://twitter.com/darrenrovell/status/1290406145866301443
hate to see that happen to anyone. hope it turns out to be acute in nature and he recovers quickly. it would be impossible to call this case permanent damage or even long lasting damage at this point. It requires continuing monitoring. its possible he could be on the field for the first game

Do you hear yourself?
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: August 05, 2020, 08:26:11 AM »
UConn called it

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: August 05, 2020, 08:32:49 AM »
UConn called it

I didn't realize they were an independent. also kinda crazy that Randy Edsall comes off as a nice guy

https://twitter.com/JonSolomonAspen/status/1290986038350041088

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: August 05, 2020, 08:48:13 AM »
If they can't handle this situation, then they might as well shut down CFB for good.

Because even a vaccine isn't going to be 100% effective, and may never be effective.

SARS-Covid-19 is here to stay.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: August 05, 2020, 10:50:48 AM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: August 05, 2020, 10:54:47 AM »
Mods, please lock this thread. It’s so on!!! :excited:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: August 05, 2020, 11:03:51 AM »
I'm about 95% sure games will be played but I don't know if the season will finish

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: August 05, 2020, 11:13:02 AM »
I just need there to be enough tape this year for my guy sky, to get drafted.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: August 05, 2020, 11:27:15 AM »

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: August 05, 2020, 12:31:53 PM »
hoping to see some old school eight man football this fall??!?  you could be in luck!!

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.