Author Topic: No 2020 College Football :-(  (Read 94974 times)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: No 2020 College Football :-(
« Reply #1100 on: September 01, 2020, 01:54:12 PM »
Yeah, no one go all PIT on this, but this is bad news for the Big 10 commissioner.

I don't imagine he is long for that job anyways.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: September 01, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »
How many players are on KSU and is it a problem that 10 currently have coronavirus and that the county health department has classified the team as the largest area of outbreak?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: September 01, 2020, 02:02:48 PM »
It could be an interesting fight within The Big 10. Michigan might just sit out regardless.

How much time do they need for practice before a season starts?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: September 01, 2020, 02:15:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/politico/status/1300857298819207168

I hope I don't regret posting this in here instead of the pit.

lol I didn't realize this was part of the conversation

https://twitter.com/AWardSports/status/1300816394699898880

Offline PurpleOil

• Katpak'r
  • Make it rain
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: September 01, 2020, 04:13:32 PM »
I am only against the big 10 having football because of the LOL's it'll bring when we're playing and Nubs is not.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: September 01, 2020, 05:26:00 PM »
anyone actually surprised by this?

There's no way anyone actually is, like we were all horned up 21 year olds at one point, right?

There's an awful lot of finger wagging. And really, we've seen similar behavior all over the country from all ages of people. Open up bars and this is what happens

Same damn story led the news up here about flood aggie
We saw Sturgis, too

I do think Sturgis is different than what's happening in college towns. Nobody made those boomers and Xers go up to South Dakota. They are also 2 to 3 times older than these college kids. You can't send these kids to these small towns then tell them they can only have part of the experience. You send your kid to college, I would think you are sending them with the expectation they are going to do college stuff.
Re: Sturgis
I had reason to be in the area of Sturgis last weekend (not related to the motorcycle rally) and have enjoyed you all finger wagging and #boomermeming, but how about we take a data driven approach instead?  This is imperfect of course, since vast numbers of people travel in to Sturgis and then leave a week later, but there can be some value in looking at the infection numbers of Meade and Pennington counties.  The day before Sturgis started the total active cases for those two counties was 139.  Today the total active cases are 135, net -4.  I will check back in the next week but so far it appears the communal mask shaming and assumption of a certain outbreak has been unwarranted...so far. 

I think we will find this can be applied to students returning to college as well.  Bringing together low risk, low infection rate populations from a large area and concentrating them in one location does not inherently mean there will be an outbreak and that everyone's grandma is being murdered.  There will be a few campuses that have issues of course, but most will probably be fine.  It is way too early but Riley County has 60 active cases as of today, we will see where this goes in the next few weeks.
Sturgis area as of 8-24 had 217 active cases and Riley County had 138, pretty significant increases in terms of percentage but maybe not in terms of population.   :dunno:   
LOL, it has been a bit of a crap show the past week.  SA has 606 active and Riley Co. 435.  Biker rally has more than quadrupled cases in two weeks, KSU has almost 7x. 
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: September 01, 2020, 06:09:34 PM »
Yeah, no one go all PIT on this, but this is bad news for the Big 10 commissioner.

I've avoided talking about what I think about Kevin Warren being the scapegoat for this, I'll just say that if he loses his job, it will be very transparent for some of us. Whenever a conference or a league does something unpopular, we always hear about the commissioner doing the bidding for the owners or presidents/chancellors. We know, we always knew the Big Ten took a vote. Unlike what has become modus operandi in the Pac 12, no UP has called Warren out. Knowing all of this, Warren has been made to be everything from moronic to duplicitous by fans, media, and players parents and there are all kinds of rumors of him losing his job. It would be curious if not obvious. Luckily the UPs who hired him to take unpopular stances will stick with him.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: September 01, 2020, 06:29:49 PM »

I've avoided talking about what I think about Kevin Warren being the scapegoat for this, I'll just say that if he loses his job, it will be very transparent for some of us. Whenever a conference or a league does something unpopular, we always hear about the commissioner doing the bidding for the owners or presidents/chancellors. We know, we always knew the Big Ten took a vote. Unlike what has become modus operandi in the Pac 12, no UP has called Warren out. Knowing all of this, Warren has been made to be everything from moronic to duplicitous by fans, media, and players parents and there are all kinds of rumors of him losing his job. It would be curious if not obvious. Luckily the UPs who hired him to take unpopular stances will stick with him.
I agree that it would be him taking the fall for the votes of the Universities. I still think parents/fans will want a scapegoat. I think he’ll be gone at the end of the season regardless of any outcomes.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: September 01, 2020, 06:45:50 PM »
I am only against the big 10 having football because of the LOL's it'll bring when we're playing and Nubs is not.
it would be glorious. im still worried that this is so important to nebraska that they will somehow find a way to turn this into a positive for them before its all said and done

Online Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #1110 on: September 01, 2020, 07:52:04 PM »

I agree that it would be him taking the fall for the votes of the Universities. I still think parents/fans will want a scapegoat. I think he’ll be gone at the end of the season regardless of any outcomes.

He's following a legend too.  Jim Delany is arguably the greatest conference commissioner ever.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: September 02, 2020, 09:45:41 PM »
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: September 02, 2020, 10:22:38 PM »
Well they trademarked "Battle in the Bubble" so we're probably not going to find out.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: September 03, 2020, 12:16:50 AM »
Random question - Why did the NCAA relocate from KC to Indianapolis? I remember their HQ was around 435 and Metcalf when I was a youngster but don't remember any of the local juicy gossip

Well before I posted this I went to wikipedia and learned this, anyone else have anything to add besides this?

The NCAA was dissatisfied with its Johnson County, Kansas suburban location, noting that its location on the south edges of the Kansas City suburbs was more than 40 minutes from Kansas City International Airport. They also noted that the suburban location was not drawing visitors to its new visitors' centre.[36]

In 1997, it asked for bids for a new headquarters. Various cities competed for a new headquarters with the two finalists being Kansas City and Indianapolis. Kansas City proposed to relocate the NCAA back downtown near the Crown Center complex and would locate the visitors' centre in Union Station. However Kansas City's main sports venue Kemper Arena was nearly 30 years old.[36] Indianapolis argued that it was in fact more central than Kansas City in that two-thirds of the members are east of the Mississippi River.[36] The 50,000-seat RCA Dome far eclipsed the 17,000-seat Kemper Arena. In 1999, the NCAA moved its 300-member staff to its new headquarters in the White River State Park in a four-story 140,000-square-foot (13,000 m2) facility on the west edge of downtown Indianapolis, Indiana. Adjacent to the headquarters is the 35,000-square-foot (3,300 m2) NCAA Hall of Champions.[37]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: September 03, 2020, 12:18:28 AM »
Indy had a better airport

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: September 03, 2020, 11:42:32 AM »
Whoa, thank goodness our guys aren’t in Big 10 heart attack country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: September 03, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »
Thankfully those athletes are getting Power 5 athlete level medical care.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1118 on: September 03, 2020, 12:52:46 PM »
hopefully not from larry nassar

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: September 03, 2020, 01:07:17 PM »
Makes you wander what percentage without a COVID diagnosis have myocarditis.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: September 03, 2020, 08:39:22 PM »

30-35 percent?   :dunno:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: September 03, 2020, 08:45:36 PM »

Myocarditis is usually caused by a viral infection. A severe case can weaken the heart, which can lead to heart failure, abnormal heartbeat, and sudden death. Symptoms include chest pain, abnormal heartbeat, and shortness of breath.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: September 03, 2020, 09:50:20 PM »
Yes, anyone who has had severe influenza can have myocarditis.  All athlete should be tested for Myocarditis, COVID or not, and not allowed to play if positive.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: September 03, 2020, 09:56:24 PM »
Yes, anyone who has had severe influenza can have myocarditis.  All athlete should be tested for Myocarditis, COVID or not, and not allowed to play if positive.

That's what happened to my dad.  He had the flu, which caused him to lose lung and heart function.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: September 03, 2020, 10:08:38 PM »
We play on
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best