Author Topic: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?  (Read 55629 times)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Do You Know Anyone with COVID-19?
« Reply #800 on: September 10, 2021, 09:08:29 AM »
Did I tell you guys that my wife got Covid back in the spring?  She had mild cold symptoms for 4 days before she got tested positive.  We did not distance at all in those 4 days but neither I nor any of the kids got it.  Covid is a fickle mistress.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: September 10, 2021, 09:32:07 AM »
My biggest covid flex is still never had a reason to have a test.  I assume possible international travel requirements will soon end that streak.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: September 10, 2021, 09:37:23 AM »
A kid on my son's football team passed away with covid this weekend. Pretty sad man. 11-year-old kid and he didn't get to see his dad in person for a month, then he died. What a tragedy.

In good covid news, my dad finally got jab 1 this past week.

Wow, what a tragedy.  I am not sure there is a hospital staff that could keep me from seeing my kids but holy crap that is just mind blowingly sad.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: September 10, 2021, 09:39:03 AM »
My biggest covid flex is still never had a reason to have a test.  I assume possible international travel requirements will soon end that streak.

Same, I just researched how to even get one yesterday because I'll need it in a month.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: September 10, 2021, 09:45:42 AM »
A kid on my son's football team passed away with covid this weekend. Pretty sad man. 11-year-old kid and he didn't get to see his dad in person for a month, then he died. What a tragedy.

In good covid news, my dad finally got jab 1 this past week.

Wow, what a tragedy.  I am not sure there is a hospital staff that could keep me from seeing my kids but holy crap that is just mind blowingly sad.

This is horrible, I can't even imagine.  Why couldn't he see his dad?  I thought visitor guidelines had been at least slightly relaxed to allow at least some visitation privileges.  That makes me incredibly angry and sad.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: September 10, 2021, 10:01:15 AM »
I wonder if he went pretty quickly or unexpectedly? I was allowed to see my dad twice over the 2.5 months he was in covid icu. both times were when they were confident he wasn't going to last much longer. not a great call and 5 hour drive to make each time. it's a pretty helpless feeling because you get all suited up with suits, gloves, masks, goggles and then get in there and can barely communicate and it's a short visit because they are just so weak and sick. then you come out and talk with the family and then have nothing else to do but wait.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: September 10, 2021, 10:12:31 AM »
That sucks sd.  Was that before vaccines?  I thought they had relaxed restrictions over the last several months.

Not letting an 11 year see his dad for over a month while in the hospital is incredibly stupid.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: September 10, 2021, 10:41:50 AM »
That sucks sd.  Was that before vaccines?  I thought they had relaxed restrictions over the last several months.

Not letting an 11 year see his dad for over a month while in the hospital is incredibly stupid.
Yes, he came down with Covid almost exactly a year ago.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: September 10, 2021, 12:11:03 PM »
Ben ji's dad has had the vid for about a week. Fever and bad cough/congestion but doing better the last couple of days.

Parents were planning to leave on a road trip out west on Saturday but that has been delayed now.

Unvaccinated of course.

Surely he's been prophylactically protecting himself against COVID in some humorous way, though, right? Regardless, glad to hear he seems to have made it over the hump.
No horse dewormer or anything crazy that I'm aware of, just years of snake/bee venom to build up his immune system.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: September 12, 2021, 09:14:29 AM »
Mrs. SSOC just got a message from my sis that she and my brother-in-law have COVID. Last week, my sis sent me a text saying that they had held off on getting the vax "because they were still thinking about having more kids" but since the virus seemed to be here to stay they were now thinking about getting vaccinated. Somehow, they had got the message that vaccines posed risks for pregnancy. I encouraged them to get Moderna asap but now it looks like a moot point. They are younger than me and will probably do fine but these people who have monetized disinformation are hurting actual people and it makes me mad.

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #810 on: September 17, 2021, 10:32:09 AM »
My wife’s coworker’s 10yo son got infected by an unvaccinated teacher at his school. My wife’s coworker’s wife now gets to stay home from work for 10 days while their kid isolates. Fortunately, her job has a policy that provides days off for this sort of thing. A huge pain in the butt for them regardless.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #811 on: September 17, 2021, 10:57:21 AM »
My wife’s coworker’s 10yo son got infected by an unvaccinated teacher at his school. My wife’s coworker’s wife now gets to stay home from work for 10 days while their kid isolates. Fortunately, her job has a policy that provides days off for this sort of thing. A huge pain in the butt for them regardless.

unvaccinated teachers is infuriating.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #812 on: September 17, 2021, 01:20:47 PM »

Freedumb aint free, guys!

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #813 on: September 17, 2021, 01:21:09 PM »

Sucks either way but even if they were vaccinated what would that have mattered as far as transmission of the virus?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #814 on: September 17, 2021, 01:23:29 PM »

Sucks either way but even if they were vaccinated what would that have mattered as far as transmission of the virus?

Yes it would have. The teacher would have been both less likely to catch and to transmit the disease.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #815 on: September 17, 2021, 01:26:18 PM »

Yes it would have. The teacher would have been both less likely to catch and to transmit the disease.
:thumbs:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #816 on: September 17, 2021, 01:35:50 PM »
We spent labor day with my dad and my sister in law's fam joined.

Following wed, dad tested pos.

we quarantine and all test neg.

Sister in law's entire fam has tested pos since.

All of us are vax'd.

Wild.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #817 on: September 17, 2021, 01:36:38 PM »

Also, it's not ideal to have someone too stupid to go get a free vaccine teaching kids.

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #818 on: September 17, 2021, 01:38:52 PM »

I would really have a hard time at the next parent teacher conference. Hello Mr. SF, little SF is doing really great but needs to work on.......eff you, you stupid son of a bitch. You aren't smart enough to teach my kid anything.  :curse: :curse: :curse:

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #819 on: September 17, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »

Exactly. Who walks around the entire room all day? touches every paper turned in? interacts with each student face to face? Now, think how much less likely they are to transmit the virus if they put on a mask as well.

My son's teacher is out right now. Not sure of vaccination status, but doesn't wear a mask even though the school "highly recommends" it. Because I live in DFW, my son is one of only a handful of kids in his grade school class that wears a mask. Nearly every night on the news we see pediatric hospitals are full, and doctors come on and plead people to do their part to slow the transmission. But our state government sues school districts attempting to mandate masking for those 12 and under. They also deny virtual learning funding.

1/7 students and 1/7.5 staff in his school has or had covid since August 1st. 1/3 has been in quarantine.

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #820 on: September 17, 2021, 01:55:57 PM »
why would you be worried about the teacher touching the papers?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #821 on: September 17, 2021, 01:58:55 PM »

All of us are vax'd.

Wild.
I’ve heard several anecdotal stories like this. Really makes me wonder whether genetics (or some subset like blood type) plays a bigger role than we currently think. I guess it’s possible there is a particular household environment much more conducive to spread.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #822 on: September 17, 2021, 02:10:55 PM »

All of us are vax'd.

Wild.
I’ve heard several anecdotal stories like this. Really makes me wonder whether genetics (or some subset like blood type) plays a bigger role than we currently think. I guess it’s possible there is a particular household environment much more conducive to spread.

Right?

We were also outside all the time, had windows/doors open all weekend.  It was a lake trip.

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #823 on: September 17, 2021, 02:16:04 PM »
That's your takeaway?

While a remote chance of contracting covid exists on surface contact, it's still a chance. The teacher typically hands back papers. Thus mixing everything sneezed, coughed, breathed or finger licked into a big stew to be shared with his/her students.

WebMD: "How long will the coronavirus survive on paper? Examples: mail, newspaper. The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days."
CDC: "It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #824 on: September 17, 2021, 02:27:58 PM »
That's your takeaway?

While a remote chance of contracting covid exists on surface contact, it's still a chance. The teacher typically hands back papers. Thus mixing everything sneezed, coughed, breathed or finger licked into a big stew to be shared with his/her students.

WebMD: "How long will the coronavirus survive on paper? Examples: mail, newspaper. The length of time varies. Some strains of coronavirus live for only a few minutes on paper, while others live for up to 5 days."
CDC: "It may be possible that a person can get COVID-19 by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose, or possibly their eyes, but this is not thought to be the main way the virus spreads."

Look, he's just asking the cutting questions here that everyone else is too afraid to ask. There's plenty wrong with the other side too, ya know.