Author Topic: 2020 General Election Thread  (Read 132389 times)

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 General Election Thread
« Reply #850 on: September 25, 2020, 12:13:50 PM »
If Texas turns blue the republican party will never win another election in their current form. which is good, because the current form sucks absolute crap.

No doubt.  If Blue wins Senate and White House this election they will keep it until GOP adjusts their political ties and views on many issues.  If GOP does not adjust, it could get historically lopsided over the next 16-24 years.  The McConnells, Cruz's and Grahams of the GOP are heavy contributors in making it a reality.   
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: September 25, 2020, 12:56:19 PM »
I mean, I give TX zero chance of going blue this election. It's just heading that direction. I don't think the senate is going blue this election either.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: September 25, 2020, 01:15:16 PM »
I think it's probably 60/40 the dems flip the senate.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: September 25, 2020, 02:47:13 PM »
KK's election prediction feel free to own me on this if I'm wrong

Biden wins both electoral and popular

Senate 52+ for Dems

pick ups from most to least likely
Colorado
Maine
Arizona
North Carolina
Montana
Iowa
(maaaaaaaybe) South Carolina

losing Doug Jones

Republicans hold hearings and get the nominee in the lame duck session after getting rolled.

Democrats hem and haw but don't expand the court.  At best we get DC statehood.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: September 25, 2020, 02:58:36 PM »
Fraternal Order of Police because they love to crack skulls.

This is probably the answer so far.  They have been going the way of the NRA legit wise though.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 General Election Thread
« Reply #856 on: September 25, 2020, 09:10:28 PM »
KK's election prediction feel free to own me on this if I'm wrong

Biden wins both electoral and popular

Senate 52+ for Dems

pick ups from most to least likely
Colorado
Maine
Arizona
North Carolina
Montana
Iowa
(maaaaaaaybe) South Carolina

losing Doug Jones

Republicans hold hearings and get the nominee in the lame duck session after getting rolled.

Democrats hem and haw but don't expand the court.  At best we get DC statehood.

Hmmm, are you including other policy as well? My gut says if they ditch the filibuster for DC for example then they'd have a consensus on other stuff they'd want to pass. Seems weird to just do it to add DC, healthcare and covid action sounds reasonable. Dunno if they'd go for climate action/infrastructure. Depending on your views what they could do with healthcare may be deemed too incremental or meh.

Could see them just having the majority and not doing anything or not flipping it entirely.
They will do a Covid bill and some sort of climate change legislation, but it will be like tax credits or some dumb crap that will launch a million solyndra ipo’s and TSLA stock to the moon off tax credits.  It will suck ass and change absolutely nothing.

No Medicare 4 All no GND, no UBI, just shut the eff up and be happy we aren’t trump, lose the senate in the mid terms and then gridlock.

Cool!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: September 25, 2020, 09:28:52 PM »
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: September 25, 2020, 09:33:47 PM »

They will do a Covid bill and some sort of climate change legislation, but it will be like tax credits or some dumb crap that will launch a million solyndra ipo’s and TSLA stock to the moon off tax credits.  It will suck ass and change absolutely nothing.

No Medicare 4 All no GND, no UBI, just shut the eff up and be happy we aren’t trump, lose the senate in the mid terms and then gridlock.

Cool!

this is so dumb.  they're not going to pass anything because they won't have the votes.  it's not because they're not fighting hard enough or they're all in the thrall of corporations or any of that brain-dead drivel.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: September 25, 2020, 09:39:09 PM »
For anyone with a login...

What in the world? Voting rights

https://kansasstate.forums.rivals.com/threads/do-you-support-the-voting-system-as-is.122605/
I haven’t logged in over there in probably a year or two....the random account I’ve used for a decade still hasn’t changed LOL
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: September 25, 2020, 10:09:27 PM »
For anyone with a login...

What in the world? Voting rights

https://kansasstate.forums.rivals.com/threads/do-you-support-the-voting-system-as-is.122605/

You need a login for the world forum? Anyway, here is the OP for the thread.

In my opinion it needs to be slightly more difficult to vote, not everyone should be allowed to just show up with zero knowledge of our country’s governmental system. I think something like having to name the current President and VP, your state’s senators, and your current representative in the house, all factual things so there is no question if they are right or wrong. Also you need to have a valid photo Id. Thoughts?

Here's another post the same, dipshit, downgrade poster had in the same thread

So you think biden would win? You’re telling me most of these people at the riots could name all 9 Supreme Court justices

It would have been hilarious if these idiots were being ironic, unfortunately they were not.

Online nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: September 25, 2020, 10:22:07 PM »
Forgot the world forum was free.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: September 25, 2020, 10:37:00 PM »
Doesn't load for me
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: September 26, 2020, 07:09:14 AM »

Cool!

this is so dumb.  they're not going to pass anything because they won't have the votes.  it's not because they're not fighting hard enough or they're all in the thrall of corporations or any of that brain-dead drivel.
This gets it backwards. Biden says he would veto a GND or Medicare 4 All so of course they don’t have 2/3rds majority.

They also aren’t going to suddenly turn Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi in to Mitch McConnel ramming through the Obamacare repeal in regards to these big new programs. Saying this is all Manchin’s fault or whatever and leftists are dumb is just an excuse. If they have 53 or 54 votes they could tell Manchin to eff off. The problem is none of the major figures want to do anything big even if they do have the votes! Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer are not going to whip votes for Medicare 4 All or really much of anything worth a crap.

All that is on offer for now and forever is “we’re not republicans.” It will probably be enough to hold off a very unpopular president and party but they will get crushed in the midterms.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: September 26, 2020, 07:47:55 AM »
Democrats rammed through the ACA. And the lesson they should have learned since is that they're not passing anything else unless they ram it through.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: September 26, 2020, 10:13:27 AM »

Cool!

This gets it backwards. Biden says he would veto a GND or Medicare 4 All so of course they don’t have 2/3rds majority.

They also aren’t going to suddenly turn Chuck Schumer and Nancy Pelosi in to Mitch McConnel ramming through the Obamacare repeal in regards to these big new programs. Saying this is all Manchin’s fault or whatever and leftists are dumb is just an excuse. If they have 53 or 54 votes they could tell Manchin to eff off. The problem is none of the major figures want to do anything big even if they do have the votes! Joe Biden, Nancy Pelosi, and Chuck Schumer are not going to whip votes for Medicare 4 All or really much of anything worth a crap.

All that is on offer for now and forever is “we’re not republicans.” It will probably be enough to hold off a very unpopular president and party but they will get crushed in the midterms.

Beautifully put

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: September 26, 2020, 06:56:41 PM »
Has Biden said he'd veto MFA or the GND explicitly, actually asking as I may have missed it. I'd be surprised if he would given the chance (but that's all head games in the same vein as supporting alot of progressive positions, even more moderate versions, this campaign cycle and not going after the filibuster - unless like waiting many years to continue to build a large enough coalition is okie dokes).  Or is your point that by not supporting/campaigning for them he's basically not allowing it to pass through Congress.

His point is that Biden, historically, and Schumer and Pelosi now don't have the courage to push transformative legislation ahead. These things are essentially nonstarters because the democratic leadership has no interest in doing anything other than not being Republicans which will get you the majority for two years every decade or so.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: September 26, 2020, 08:38:05 PM »
Has Biden said he'd veto MFA or the GND explicitly, actually asking as I may have missed it. I'd be surprised if he would given the chance (but that's all head games in the same vein as supporting alot of progressive positions, even more moderate versions, this campaign cycle and not going after the filibuster - unless like waiting many years to continue to build a large enough coalition is okie dokes).  Or is your point that by not supporting/campaigning for them he's basically not allowing it to pass through Congress.
On Medicare 4 All Biden has been explicit about this.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/03/10/biden-says-he-wouldd-veto-medicare-for-all-as-coronavirus-focuses-attention-on-health.html

The green new deal claim is more of a stretch but Biden wants to keep fracking and expands the time horizon for zero emissions by 20 years from the GND and eliminates a lot of the jobs programs and other elements to get the cost down. Make of that what you will.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: September 26, 2020, 08:40:48 PM »
Democrats rammed through the ACA. And the lesson they should have learned since is that they're not passing anything else unless they ram it through.
Really worth remembering that Obama probably could’ve got the public option through but instead tried to negotiate with McConnell and the right wing Dems and got kneecap’d. They did use reconciliation, but they hardly “rammed it through.”

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: September 26, 2020, 08:47:01 PM »
Man, the left must really think the American people are slow witted dumb fucks by naming their signature plans Medicare for all and the green new deal. 

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: September 26, 2020, 08:53:43 PM »
Man, the left must really think the American people are slow witted dumb fucks by naming their signature plans Medicare for all and the green new deal.
I’m not saying the left are competent at all but I can say for certain that a huge number of the American people are slow witted dumb fucks.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: September 26, 2020, 08:55:08 PM »
Really worth remembering that Obama probably could’ve got the public option through but instead tried to negotiate with McConnell and the right wing Dems and got kneecap’d. They did use reconciliation, but they hardly “rammed it through.”

No Republicans voted for it and all of them went insane with rage over it. I can't imagine ramming someting through to a greater degree.

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: September 26, 2020, 09:46:26 PM »

No Republicans voted for it and all of them went insane with rage over it. I can't imagine ramming someting through to a greater degree.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2017/08/01/set-health-record-straight-republicans-helped-craft-obamacare-ross-baker-column/523952001/

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: September 27, 2020, 08:02:45 AM »

Online Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: September 27, 2020, 08:31:29 AM »
The problem of course is that any “big” policy agenda is going to have enormous opposition and so if the base case is that you want to build consensus first, you will basically not get much of anything done.

The ACA began with quite a few people including Obama wanting a public option, and that was basically impossible because the Obama admin decided it was very important to court Max Baucus and Chuck Grassley and take them seriously, instead of just telling their conference what was going to happen and nut cutting.

It is worth comparing what McConnell did. He threatened pulling Chuck Grassley’s seniority, his prime committee appointments, access to the Republican Senate funds all because he was NEGOTIATING with Dems. Not even that he was going to vote for the bill, just for inserting republican friendly amendments (THAT THE DEMS MOSTLY KEPT IN ANYWAYS EVEN THOUGH THEY GOT ZERO REPUBLICAN VOTES)

So to review, McConell was going to torch any republican senators entire bloodline for talking to Dems, and Dems were actively reaching out to try and get 1-2 republican votes. In the end? Not even Susan Collins or Olympia Snow came on board because intense pressure from your own party is always more effective than goodies from the other side.