Author Topic: Pete Buttigieg 2020  (Read 5366 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Pete Buttigieg 2020
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2020, 01:12:37 PM »
Other than obviously articulating it well, I agree the most unique aspect is addressing it head on, which is what I’ve always liked about Pete.

Very few pro-choice politicians are willing to say they think the woman has the right to choose between her health and the baby’s. He’s acknowledging that and basically saying he thinks the choice is less likely to be abused in the hands of the mother.

I don’t really agree with it, but I appreciate the clarity.

I think the big question is: is what he’s saying actually true?  Or is it some bullshit being made up to make people feel better.

Is it true that it takes an incredibly physical and emotional toll on a woman to carry a child for 7 months or longer? Is that a serious question?

To me, his point is that political arguments about third term abortions are reductive and don't take into account that it's the most serious decision that a woman will make their entire life.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2020, 01:19:22 PM »
Other than obviously articulating it well, I agree the most unique aspect is addressing it head on, which is what I’ve always liked about Pete.

Very few pro-choice politicians are willing to say they think the woman has the right to choose between her health and the baby’s. He’s acknowledging that and basically saying he thinks the choice is less likely to be abused in the hands of the mother.

I don’t really agree with it, but I appreciate the clarity.

I think the big question is: is what he’s saying actually true?  Or is it some bullshit being made up to make people feel better.

Is it true that it takes an incredibly physical and emotional toll on a woman to carry a child for 7 months or longer? Is that a serious question?

To me, his point is that political arguments about third term abortions are reductive and don't take into account that it's the most serious decision that a woman will make their entire life.

Pete says he wants to be clear that women should get to draw the line when their own health or the viability of the baby is at stake.  So is he saying that doesn't support late-term abortion when neither of those are a factor (vast majority of cases)?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2020, 01:22:16 PM »
Pete says he wants to be clear that women should get to draw the line when their own health or the viability of the baby is at stake.  So is he saying that doesn't support late-term abortion when neither of those are a factor (vast majority of cases)?

what's your source for this?

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2020, 02:05:22 PM »

what's your source for this?

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1363/4521013

five general profiles of women who sought later abortions, describing 80% of the sample.” These women were “raising children alone, were depressed or using illicit substances, were in conflict with a male partner or experiencing domestic violence, had trouble deciding and then had access problems, or were young and nulliparous.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2020, 02:22:55 PM »
His point seems to extend to all that as well.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2020, 02:29:28 PM »
I mean

Our study has several important limitations. Our data are limited by the exclusion of women who sought later abortions on grounds of fetal anomaly or life endangerment. Because of waiting time for testing and diagnosis, delay in seeking care among that population likely differs significantly from the delays faced by women in our study. In addition, while some aspects of our findings may be generalizable beyond the United States, the results are largely limited in their applicability to other cultural and legal environments.

Still an interesting read. Seems like a good way to reduce late term abortions is to provide better health care and easier access to abortions earlier in the pregnancy

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 13, 2020, 02:31:06 PM »
I mean

Our study has several important limitations. Our data are limited by the exclusion of women who sought later abortions on grounds of fetal anomaly or life endangerment. Because of waiting time for testing and diagnosis, delay in seeking care among that population likely differs significantly from the delays faced by women in our study. In addition, while some aspects of our findings may be generalizable beyond the United States, the results are largely limited in their applicability to other cultural and legal environments.

Still an interesting read. Seems like a good way to reduce late term abortions is to provide better health care and easier access to abortions earlier in the pregnancy

That's a good way to reduce all abortions. It's why the rate dropped so much during Obama's presidency.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 13, 2020, 02:37:32 PM »
I mean

Even so

But data suggest that most women seeking later terminations are not doing so for reasons of fetal anomaly or life endangerment.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 13, 2020, 02:42:44 PM »
The whole reason they did the study is because they realized a bunch of people were getting late term abortions that didn't have anything to do with fetal anomaly or the mother's health and they wanted to see why they were waiting so long.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 13, 2020, 03:25:30 PM »
I mean

It is frustrating to me that so few pro lifers really go all in on better overall health care + birth control education and availability. It’s like other than changing peoples’ minds completely or just criminalizing abortion outright there’s no better way to end up with fewer dead babies.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 13, 2020, 03:31:43 PM »
Isn't this pretty much the standard pro-choice position?  I've seen this in a couple of spots and I'm not sure what's novel or compelling about it.

it is, yeah.  but he states it well.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 21, 2022, 10:44:30 AM »
I’d vote for him but I’m sure I’m the minority by a wide margin
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2022, 10:53:03 AM »
would vote for him

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 21, 2022, 11:06:45 AM »
He’s a clown. But he’s a clown #blueanon can get behind.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 21, 2022, 11:16:38 AM »

What makes him a clown? I think he has no charisma and would never inspire people to vote for him. In my viewpoint he is an uncaring pragmatist that would govern like you would expect a Mckinsey(ite) to.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 21, 2022, 12:43:15 PM »

Pete is the only politician that I actually stan for. He's great.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 21, 2022, 12:49:59 PM »

Pete is the only politician that I actually stan for. He's great.

You have to stan for something.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 21, 2022, 01:31:50 PM »

What makes him a clown? I think he has no charisma and would never inspire people to vote for him. In my viewpoint he is an uncaring pragmatist that would govern like you would expect a Mckinsey(ite) to.

Pete is an agendite.  I don't see any plan that's grounded in reality.  I see a plan that's formulated to pay off the dark money that flows through the Biden/Democratic party like a raging river.  I see a plan to that will pay off quite well for entities that are not domestically based, and I see a plan that  hammers the average American.   I'm not the least bit impressed the job that Pete's agency is doing.  Now admittedly that could be an offshoot of the #shitshow that is the Oval Office and the people that control our President. 

Maybe Pete can break away into reality if he's ever back on the stump on his own accord.  But as of right now, no thanks.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 21, 2022, 01:46:28 PM »

Pete is an agendite.  I don't see any plan that's grounded in reality.  I see a plan that's formulated to pay off the dark money that flows through the Biden/Democratic party like a raging river.  I see a plan to that will pay off quite well for entities that are not domestically based, and I see a plan that  hammers the average American.   I'm not the least bit impressed the job that Pete's agency is doing.  Now admittedly that could be an offshoot of the #shitshow that is the Oval Office and the people that control our President. 

Maybe Pete can break away into reality if he's ever back on the stump on his own accord.  But as of right now, no thanks.

That’s well thought out, thanks for the reply.  I’m not really holding anyone to policy put out under Biden for some of the reasons you presented above.  He certainly seems susceptible to special interest money given I background I do agree with that.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 21, 2022, 02:07:37 PM »
I think Pete is probably the most capable realistic candidate who could accomplish a lot of his platforms through the executive bureaucracy.

I also think he’s probably one of the least capable of getting Congress to do something useful, but I’ve kind of soured on them being able to do crap either way.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2022, 09:31:05 AM »

Not sure how anyone could argue against this.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2022, 09:34:44 AM »

Perhaps I'm biased, but Pete is the only politician I actually will earhole people about. I appreciate Bernie's honesty/sincerity, but like the Democratic party establishment, I also recognize his proposed policies don't stand a chance of becoming law (currently, of course).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2022, 09:42:00 AM »

Perhaps I'm biased, but Pete is the only politician I actually will earhole people about. I appreciate Bernie's honesty/sincerity, but like the Democratic party establishment, I also recognize his proposed policies don't stand a chance of becoming law (currently, of course).

He's a devoted Obama acolyte. If I walks like a duck...