Author Topic: CoronaBro Meltdown/SARS-Covid-19 Spitballing Thread  (Read 1050695 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Who are our peers, Phil?

When you figure that out, please post:  Country Name, population and demographic make-up
I think comparing us to western nations on a per capita basis is pretty fair.  You can include eastern countries too, but I think there are quite a bit of structural differences that make those more like apples and oranges.

I'm mostly focused on the progress the US makes though, so when I say something is (or might be) "great," i don't really GAF about how whatever I'm talking about compares to something I'm not talking about.

Let's hear some names.
Names?  Canada, UK, France, Germany, Italy, Spain are pretty solid, IMO. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
I've shared this dashboard a few times, but it's been updated to include regions in addition to filtering out the initial hot spot states. Kinda interesting to play with.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/WHCWCFSBZ?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
I've shared this dashboard a few times, but it's been updated to include regions in addition to filtering out the initial hot spot states. Kinda interesting to play with.

https://public.tableau.com/shared/WHCWCFSBZ?:display_count=y&:origin=viz_share_link

I really hope their Rt numbers are correct.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Who are our peers, Phil?

When you figure that out, please post:  Country Name, population and demographic make-up
I think comparing us to western nations on a per capita basis is pretty fair.  You can include eastern countries too, but I think there are quite a bit of structural differences that make those more like apples and oranges.

I'm mostly focused on the progress the US makes though, so when I say something is (or might be) "great," i don't really GAF about how whatever I'm talking about compares to something I'm not talking about.

Let's hear some names.

Canada- 1/10th the size of the U.S. in population, one of the least densely populated countries on the planet, 75% Caucasian, the average age of people of color is 34 of which over half are women (women have substantially lower Covid-19 morbidity as compared to men), 46% of the people of color in Canada are more highly affluent people of Asian decent.   Incentivized Covid-19 healthcare:  TBD

UK-France-Germany-Italy-Spain - Combined Population 320M (US 328M).   Total Reported Infections:  1.14M (U.S. 1.7M)  Total Reported Deaths:  132K (US 100K)  Total Reported Tested:  14.6M (US 15.2M)

UK Racial Make-Up:  87.2% White-White Euro Origin 
France:  85% White-White Euro Origin 
Germany: 91.5% Germanic-White Euro Origin
Spain:  89% Spanish (White Euro-Med)
Italy:  92% Italian (White Euro-Med)

U.S. 76% White-Euro

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
dax I don't like where you're going with this

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Who are our peers, Phil?

Let's hear some names.

Canada- 1/10th the size of the U.S. in population, one of the least densely populated countries on the planet, 75% Caucasian, the average age of people of color is 34 of which over half are women (women have substantially lower Covid-19 morbidity as compared to men), 46% of the people of color in Canada are more highly affluent people of Asian decent.   Incentivized Covid-19 healthcare:  TBD

UK-France-Germany-Italy-Spain - Combined Population 320M (US 328M).   Total Reported Infections:  1.14M (U.S. 1.7M)  Total Reported Deaths:  132K (US 100K)  Total Reported Tested:  14.6M (US 15.2M)

U.S. 76% White-Euro
I'm not sure what your point is here regarding population density.  Broadly speaking, the US has low population density too.  I'm not sure what the enormous but sparsely populated NW Territory or Montana have to do with the point you're trying to make.

Anyway, I'm not here to roll in the mud with you today, amigo.  I'm just hoping our 7 day average continues to fall.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just use the EU minus UK, it is several different states and roughly similar in population size.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

Knew exactly where it was going when he asked for demographics...
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

LOL,  we can talk about certain ethnic groups pre-disposition to follow rules, we can talk about a country with a certain demographic make-up's pre-disposition to follow rules, you can repeatedly talk about or imply that in the United States there's a purposeful attempt to kill people of color . . . but we can't talk about the factual realities of the demographic make-up of countries that you and the rest of RUIN constantly reference as our peers??

You are beyond sad, cRusty.

Plus, what is so great about those countries?  They have fewer people combined that the United States, yet they have more dead people from Covid-19.

Remember, RUIN constantly points to the EU as the model.  Not a great showing.   RUIN and UIN constantly point to the systems in place in certain extremely Nordic/Scandinavian countries and how that should be our model . . .  but apparently we're not supposed to talk about the ethnic make-up of those countries??

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 01:26:31 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Who are our peers, Phil?

Let's hear some names.

U.S. 76% White-Euro
I'm not sure what your point is here regarding population density.  Broadly speaking, the US has low population density too.  I'm not sure what the enormous but sparsely populated NW Territory or Montana have to do with the point you're trying to make.

Anyway, I'm not here to roll in the mud with you today, amigo.  I'm just hoping our 7 day average continues to fall.

There's no comparison, you picked out a singular geographic region of the Country, I'm talking whole countries.   The largest metro areas in Canada are about the size of Charlotte or KC.   

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

LOL,  we can talk about certain ethnic groups pre-disposition to follow rules, we can talk about a country with a certain demographic make-up's pre-disposition to follow rules, you can repeatedly talk about or imply that in the United States there's a purposeful attempt to kill people of color . . . but we can't talk about the factual realities of the demographic make-up of countries that you and the rest of RUIN constantly reference as our peers??

You are beyond sad, cRusty.

Plus, what is so great about those countries?  They have fewer people combined that the United States, yet they have more dead people from Covid-19.

Remember, RUIN constantly points to the EU as the model.  Not a great showing.   RUIN and UIN constantly point to the systems in place in certain extremely Nordic/Scandinavian countries and how that should be our model . . .  but apparently we're not supposed to talk about the ethnic make-up of those countries??

The demographics you stated don't even make any sense in comparisson to deaths per capita or any other COVID19 metric between these countries.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Euro Nations I mentioned combined have fewer people and more Covid-19 deaths than the United States, Phil.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
The Euro Nations I mentioned combined have fewer people and more Covid-19 deaths than the United States, Phil.
What do their population densities look like?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Tap out accepted

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

LOL,  we can talk about certain ethnic groups pre-disposition to follow rules, we can talk about a country with a certain demographic make-up's pre-disposition to follow rules

I don't think that is true and/or OK

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just use the EU minus UK, it is several different states and roughly similar in population size.
I hate to brexit to you, but...

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

LOL,  we can talk about certain ethnic groups pre-disposition to follow rules, we can talk about a country with a certain demographic make-up's pre-disposition to follow rules

I don't think that is true and/or OK

You need to smoke less pot.

This was brought up when discussing Germany.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile

Cherrypicking of what you "combined" aside, out of 200 words and stats that's all you were trying to say?  LOL. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Cherrypicking of what you "combined" aside, out of 200 words and stats that's all you were trying to say?  LOL.

I wasn't responding to you, Phil.  I was responding to DQ and his list of "peer" countries.

Again, not a particularly great showing by the RUIN beloved EU, outside of Germany.   But I think Germany is fudging, and Angie has a problem on her hands because of it.

But by all means, don't let that stop you from being a partisan hack.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

Tap out accepted
Just found it odd that you brought up relative population density when discussing Canada, but left that out when discussing the euro nations.

Anyway, I'm not doing this with you any further.  Proceed with the back and forth with the usual gang.  I'll be back in a few hours to hopefully bring some encouraging news.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
The largest metro areas in Canada are about the size of Charlotte or KC.   

:dubious:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

Maybe ol' confused guy meant kc and Charlotte combined?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile

lol yeah.  Some people need to get out more

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
even though old people are the ones doing most of the dying, younger folks are taking up a lot of hotel beds.

https://twitter.com/kit_delgadoMD/status/1264921326407561216

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
even though old people are the ones doing most of the dying, younger folks are taking up a lot of hotel beds.

https://twitter.com/kit_delgadoMD/status/1264921326407561216
To be fair, roughly 85 percent of the population is under 65. 

If 15 percent of the population is taking up nearly half of the beds, that's still a very disproportionate amount of older people in the beds.