Author Topic: Photography  (Read 15492 times)

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
Re: Photography
« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2010, 10:53:43 PM »
Also, I have a buddy that is huge into the outdoors but just takes pictures, rather than hunting.  Dude has had several pics published (?) in some fairly major magazines.  Anyway, dude fracking loves Yellowstone.  He goes like twice a year, winter and summer.  The wildlife and scenery make for some incredible photos. 

Honestly, this is the guy to ask about shooting sports.  Sports shooting is similar to wildlife shooting in that it takes big time $$ and proper technique to do it right. Besides that, a lot of venues frown upon you bringing in big bulky camera gear.  Looking at the Cape Cod website, it appears that they have a licensing deal with a photography outfit.  Chances are those dudes will get all pissy with you if they see you with a big ol' camera.

But if you're really interested, the best thing to do would be to go to a little league and start taking pictures with what you've got and see how you like them.  If you have specific questions after that you can ask those and go from there.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2010, 10:59:01 PM »
Thinking that taking pics at a little league game may land me in jail or, at least, get my ass kicked.  But I see where you're going with this.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2010, 11:34:50 PM »
Thinking that taking pics at a little league game may land me in jail or, at least, get my ass kicked.  But I see where you're going with this.

If you just tell people the truth, they're usually pretty cool about you taking their, or even their kid's, picture.

As long as you don't have a full beard.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2010, 11:46:12 PM »
As for the main which camera to buy question, the fact of the matter is that any, and I do mean any, DSLR that you can buy new is perfectly capable of taking stunning 12"x18" (biggest size I can get at CostCo) or 13"x19" (biggest size you can print on a consumer photo printer).  Yes, some have better high ISO performance, and some have better auto focus, etc, but for now that's really beside the point.  So what you need to do is figure out two things.  What lenses/flashes/accessories do you want to go with your camera, and which camera feels right in your hand/has a control layout that makes sense to you.

And because no one else has mentioned them (or at least I got lazy and didn't read it), you might want to take a look at the micro 4/3 from Olympus and Panasonic and the Sony NEX cameras.  They are mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras that give you some of the benefits of DSLRs while not giving you all of the bulk.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2010, 10:42:34 PM »
You guys are gonna hate me. Bing Cash Back (google it if you don't know what it is) for Best Buy just hit 20%. I was able to return my Rebel. I picked up the Rebel plus the telephoto lens for $480.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2010, 11:36:42 PM »
If you guys want a bunch of scenic pictures of the KU campus, you should talk to Ben.

I mean, taking pictures of anything else is a waste.

Offline Duncan

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2010, 12:37:30 AM »
You guys are gonna hate me. Bing Cash Back (google it if you don't know what it is) for Best Buy just hit 20%. I was able to return my Rebel. I picked up the Rebel plus the telephoto lens for $480.

Good timing, bing cash back is being discontinued I believe in July (you still have 12 months to get your cash back rewards though).

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2010, 09:09:59 AM »

Good timing, bing cash back is being discontinued I believe in July (you still have 12 months to get your cash back rewards though).

Yeah, July 30th. They're going all out right now. HP is at 25%. A few other smaller places around 40-50%.

Online CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2010, 01:27:10 PM »
Seriously looking at buying a Canon Rebel T2i.
Does anyone have one? Thoughts?
I'm needing a decent "starter" type zoom lens also.

Also, has anyone purchased something like this off of eBay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-T2i-550D-Digital-Rebel-2-LENS-16GB-New-Kit-/300483606323?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item45f637f733

Giant kit with lots of extras...just a little weary.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2010, 01:29:35 PM »
One kind of photography thread are you losers running here with one freaking photo in it?  JFC.  :clack:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2010, 01:32:31 PM »
Seriously looking at buying a Canon Rebel T2i.
Does anyone have one? Thoughts?
I'm needing a decent "starter" type zoom lens also.

Also, has anyone purchased something like this off of eBay?
http://cgi.ebay.com/Canon-EOS-T2i-550D-Digital-Rebel-2-LENS-16GB-New-Kit-/300483606323?pt=Digital_Cameras&hash=item45f637f733

Giant kit with lots of extras...just a little weary.

Friend has the T2i. Loves it. I looked at getting kits like that off ebay. It seems legit.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2010, 10:39:13 PM »
buying a 7d in January after I cash in some vacation time at work.   :excited:
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2010, 11:15:20 PM »
Most of the stuff in that kit (besides the camera and lenses) is garbage.  You'd be better off buying here, IMO. 

As to what camera to buy, we've gotten to the point where you can make tremendous pictures with any new camera you happen to buy. Sure there are some things that one camera can do better than another, a feature here and there that one camera has that another doesn't, but the differences are minor enough that they don't matter all that much.

Go somewhere and hold the cameras. Look through the viewfinder. Figure out how to change the aperture, shutter speed, and iso settings. Make those changes while keeping the camera to your eye. Decide which camera feels better to you.   Get that camera, Because this is where any real differences that exist show up.  Then go out and start taking pictures.

Also, for Steve Dave, from the last couple of months:

Offline KSU_foo

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 09:07:03 AM »
Most of the stuff in that kit (besides the camera and lenses) is garbage.  You'd be better off buying here, IMO. 

As to what camera to buy, we've gotten to the point where you can make tremendous pictures with any new camera you happen to buy. Sure there are some things that one camera can do better than another, a feature here and there that one camera has that another doesn't, but the differences are minor enough that they don't matter all that much.

Go somewhere and hold the cameras. Look through the viewfinder. Figure out how to change the aperture, shutter speed, and iso settings. Make those changes while keeping the camera to your eye. Decide which camera feels better to you.   Get that camera, Because this is where any real differences that exist show up.  Then go out and start taking pictures.

Also, for Steve Dave, from the last couple of months:

Balloon Fiesta??  Did you get a delicious breakfast burrito and apple cider??

Online CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 28, 2010, 09:33:10 AM »

Thanks for the advice. I thought the other stuff (bag, tripods, etc) in that kit looked crappy, esp. since they don't list a brand for them (same thing for some lenses in some of their other kits)

Yes, B&H is awesome...spent lots of time at various websites checking out specs reviews, etc. I really like the 60D, but it's a little outside my price-range. I like the T2i also, but didn't feel quite as "camera-y" when I was testing it. Looks like the T2i is the winner for me.

Oh, and nice pics!
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 28, 2010, 09:54:42 AM »
Balloon Fiesta?? 

A launch over Lake Travis in Austin.  Those d00ds like to get up early.   :users:

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 26, 2011, 01:30:56 AM »
Bought myself an Olympus E-P1 a couple of weeks ago. Less than 2 years old, but got refurbed off Adorama. Finally found a price point I could handle, and clincher was being able to use the 5 Rokkor lenses I have for my Minolta SRT 101. $15 adapter off eBay and all that glass now works on the micro 4/3 mount.

No viewfinder, but haven't had much trouble using manual focus on the LCD so far as I've been testing it. Thing's built like a tank, too.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 26, 2011, 10:27:05 AM »
Viewfinders are incredibly overrated on dslr's. you won't miss it.

Offline HeinBallz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 26, 2011, 10:59:08 PM »
Bought myself an Olympus E-P1 a couple of weeks ago. Less than 2 years old, but got refurbed off Adorama. Finally found a price point I could handle, and clincher was being able to use the 5 Rokkor lenses I have for my Minolta SRT 101. $15 adapter off eBay and all that glass now works on the micro 4/3 mount.

No viewfinder, but haven't had much trouble using manual focus on the LCD so far as I've been testing it. Thing's built like a tank, too.

I've got three of these, I collect them like Buicks - very under rated camera.  Bought an omega enlarger this winter and looking for sinks & time to build a dark room in my garage.  Not in a hurry, just something I thought I'd kick around to teach my kids photography basics so they'll understand where photography came from instead of just the point & click that it's turning into.
Good is better than Evil because it's nicer.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2011, 09:14:47 PM »

I've got three of these, I collect them like Buicks - very under rated camera.  Bought an omega enlarger this winter and looking for sinks & time to build a dark room in my garage.  Not in a hurry, just something I thought I'd kick around to teach my kids photography basics so they'll understand where photography came from instead of just the point & click that it's turning into.

Yeah.  Great cameras.  Built like tanks, learn to shoot on them and you can shoot with anything.  The built in exposure meter (needle/loop) is fantastic for teaching/learning the interrelation between aperture, shutter speed and ISO.  So excited that I can use the lenses with my new camera.  I already like the quality I get with them better than the 14-42 zoom that came with the camera.

Offline slimz

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 25, 2011, 02:03:20 AM »
Anybody bought any cameras lately?

Interesting Pentax announcement the other day...interchangeable lenses with a P&S-sized sensor. $800?  Must be going for a non-USA market with that one...

New Panasonic and Olympus mu 4/3 arriving now/soon...

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2011, 01:52:06 PM »
i bought a canon s95, great point and shoot camera

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline slucat

• GIRL ALERT, GIRL ALERT
  • Combo-Fan
  • This SLU, not the city
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:31 AM »
I got a Nikon D3100 in March.  Love it, I just have the kit lens 18-55mm (for now). 

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2011, 11:41:00 AM »
A few weeks ago I got my first non point and shoot camera. Canon Xti with kit lens. I like it, it takes WAY better pics than any P&S I've used, but there's a lot for me to learn before I can really know even half its capabilities. Got it used off ebay for $250. Seemed like a decent deal to me.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2011, 11:55:25 AM »
A few weeks ago I got my first non point and shoot camera. Canon Xti with kit lens. I like it, it takes WAY better pics than any P&S I've used, but there's a lot for me to learn before I can really know even half its capabilities. Got it used off ebay for $250. Seemed like a decent deal to me.

That is a good deal. I loved my dslr, but I didn't have the time or money to keep it up, so I sold it.