Author Topic: Surviving Starkville: travel tips for Cats in the Deep South  (Read 12721 times)

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Surviving Starkville: travel tips for Cats in the Deep South
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2019, 11:29:19 AM »
If it's anything like when I went to Auburn, the average number of teeth per mouth is probably around 4 when you are off campus. On campus, most of the students are only missing 1 or 2 teeth.

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2019, 12:32:40 PM »
As a Miss State fan, I found this thread hilarious.  I personally would like to welcome Wildcat Nation to StarkVegas.  I went to optometry school with a guy from K-State in the mid 90's.  Great guy!  So for those of you making to trip, I can let you in on some tidbits and advice for Starkville and Mississippi State.  First and foremost, food and drink:  There is an area called the Cotton District that is close to campus.  It has some good places to eat and drink.  Limited size places and limited parking.  It is an area that is growing and will have much more to offer by 2020.  Check out Bin 612, Two Brother's(bbq tacos and smoked meats), Commodore Bobs and Bulldog Burger(upscale burger place with adult milkshakes with alcohol).  Downtown you have Restaurant Tyler, The Grill, and on Hwy 12 you have Harvey's.  Little Dooeys is world famous due to Herbstreit and Corso but it is meh.  You guys being from Kansas won't like it IMO.  Pettys is a shack on 12 that has lot's of good food including BBQ.  Dave's Darkhorse Tavern has good pizza and so does Lost Pizza co.  Starkville is a small town but becomes packed on Friday night especially in the Cotton District.  So go early to eat.   

Now Gameday:Parking is a nightmare.  There are pay lots just off of campus that are only $10 and you can ride a bus in.  Most of the lots are Bulldog Club only closer to Davis-Wade Stadium.  There are some grass lots fairly close that are $30. They only take debit or credit.  Again get there early.  We will start tailgating around 8:00 am.  As far as our fans, most of us are welcoming unless you are a Bammer or Corn Dog just kidding.  We welcome all fans at our tailgate.  You'll find most people polite and welcoming.  Last year we had fans from every team that we played at home stop by and visit.  I expect a knock down drag out of a game.  Should be a good one.  Good Luck and safe travels.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 12:37:27 PM by leeidoc »

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2019, 12:38:37 PM »
As a Miss State fan, I found this thread hilarious.  I personally would like to welcome Wildcat Nation to StarkVegas.  I went to optometry school with a guy from K-State in the mid 90's.  Great guy!  So for those of you making to trip, I can let you in on some tidbits and advice for Starkville and Mississippi State.  First and foremost, food and drink:  There is an area called the Cotton District that is close to campus.  It has some good places to eat and drink.  Limited size places and limited parking.  It is an area that is growing and will have much more to offer by 2020.  Check out Bin 612, Two Brother's(bbq tacos and smoked meats), Commodore Bobs and Bulldog Burger(upscale burger place with adult milkshakes with alcohol).  Downtown you have Restaurant Tyler, The Grill, and on Hwy 12 you have Harvey's.  Little Dooeys is world famous due to Herbstreit and Corso but it is meh.  You guys being from Kansas won't like it IMO.  Pettys is a shack on 12 that has lot's of good food including BBQ.  Dave's Darkhorse Tavern has good pizza and so does Lost Pizza co.  Starkville is a small town but becomes packed on Friday night especially in the Cotton District.  So go early to eat.   

Now Gameday:Parking is a nightmare.  There are pay lots just off of campus that are only $10 and you can ride a bus in.  Most of the lots are Bulldog Club only closer to Davis-Wade Stadium.  There are some grass lots fairly close that are $30. They only take debit or credit.  Again get there early.  We will start tailgating around 8:00 am.  As far as our fans, most of us are welcoming unless you are a Bammer or Corn Dog just kidding.  We welcome all fans at our tailgate.  You'll find most people polite and welcoming.  Last year we had fans from every team that we played at home stop by and visit.  I expect a knock down drag out of a game.  Should be a good one.  Good Luck and safe travels.

what do you mean by this?

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2019, 12:39:23 PM »
Kansas has good BBQ from what I've heard.   And it's a vinegar based sauce.

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2019, 12:43:51 PM »
Be sure to check out "The Junction" that's our main tailgating area closest to the stadium. But look for the black tents too up by the frat houses. That's where we tailgate because we have a company set it up and all we do is show up with food or get it catered.  They set up the tents and tv and take it all down.  It's the way to go.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2019, 12:45:52 PM »
gotcha.  thanks for the informative post

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2019, 12:56:01 PM »
Be safe, friends!!!!

Ts and Ps

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2019, 01:15:15 PM »
The parking situation sounds like it'll work well for dong-paint'n.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 02:16:16 PM by Trim »

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2019, 01:24:42 PM »
"starkville mississippi" is a depressing google image search

Offline Dumdeedum

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 10, 2019, 01:26:53 PM »
Black tents? Cotton District?

Planning on arriving Friday. Where's exactly can I find Elivs's birthplace in Starkville?

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 10, 2019, 01:28:23 PM »
What kind of swamp creatures do your BBQ joints serve?  I'd kind of like to try some nutria burnt ends.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2019, 01:29:24 PM »
Is there a place that sells fried alligator sticks near the stadium?

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2019, 01:31:35 PM »
For Nutria you might have to go to Louisiana.  Most of our BBQ is pork and chicken.  Some places have beef.  The cheese fries at Bin 612 goes great with a cold one.  You an get different toppings, buffalo chicken is my personal favorite.  Also have shrimp or avocado; among others.

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2019, 01:32:20 PM »
Is there a place that sells fried alligator sticks near the stadium?

Not that I'm aware of....

Offline I_have_purplewood

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2019, 01:36:41 PM »
Thanks for the nice posts cotton chopper but I'm still a little leary.  Nobody has a place called the 'Cotton District'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Fifteen minutes later, when the Kansas locker room opened its doors to the media, the Jayhawks were still crying. Literally, bawling. All of them. I've never seen anything like it, and I've seen devastated college locker rooms -- after losses in the Final Four, the national championship game -- ever

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2019, 01:37:17 PM »
leeidoc,

what is your prediction for the score saturday?

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2019, 01:54:26 PM »
Thanks for the nice posts cotton chopper but I'm still a little leary.  Nobody has a place called the 'Cotton District'. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lol.   https://www.cottondistrictms.com/history-of-cd/

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2019, 01:54:57 PM »
leeidoc,

what is your prediction for the score saturday?

28-24  You pick 'em

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2019, 02:10:26 PM »
their state food is skunk.  You can get it almost anywhere

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2019, 02:35:42 PM »
It's against the law to sell "cold ones" like this sock proposes.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2019, 02:47:25 PM »
OAN:  You can drink beer on campus while tailgating even though it's "against the law".  Just bring a cooler and put it in a cup.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2019, 02:48:41 PM »
OAN:  You can drink beer on campus while tailgating even though it's "against the law".  Just bring a cooler and put it in a cup.

Are we allowed to put ice in the cooler? I've heard it's illegal to drink cold beer there.

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2019, 02:50:12 PM »
And get to the game EARLY.  Last game I was in line to go into the stadium at my traditional 45 minutes before kickoff and I missed the first series.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2019, 02:51:12 PM »

Are we allowed to put ice in the cooler? I've heard it's illegal to drink cold beer there.

Also are the "adult milkshakes" mentioned earlier warm?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline leeidoc

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2019, 02:52:31 PM »

LOL  Yes you can have ice.  Plenty of cold beer sold in Starkville.  Now back when I was there in the early 90's, they only sold it hot at the stores.  But that law was changed a looooooong time ago.