Author Topic: Manhattan International Airport Master Thread  (Read 49034 times)

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
Re: mhk-ord?
« Reply #175 on: January 01, 2012, 06:37:23 PM »
Looks like an extra flight daily to Chicago according to the Merc.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2012, 08:11:13 AM »
This is old but hadn't seen in posted. 

http://www.cityofmhk.com/DocumentView.aspx?DID=10726

Also, anyone know any new rumblings of expansion?  Wasn't Get Hit our MHK insider?  You still around?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2012, 08:12:22 AM »
i've heard possible frontier to denver rumblings. far from confirmed.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2012, 08:17:32 AM »

yeah, I was wondering if their pulling out of Wichita was a sign that this could be moving forward. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2012, 08:39:27 AM »

yeah, I was wondering if their pulling out of Wichita was a sign that this could be moving forward. 

Could be worse places I'd have to drive to if I needed to use all my Frontier miles.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: August 06, 2012, 08:44:21 AM »
frontier now flys direct from Omaha to LA, Orlando, Denver and DC. They pulled their Milwaukee direct when they added the LA flight. lol, see ya later SMELLwaukee. 

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: August 06, 2012, 08:51:36 AM »
frontier now flys direct from Omaha to LA, Orlando, Denver and DC. They pulled their Milwaukee direct when they added the LA flight. lol, see ya later SMELLwaukee.

hmmm...OMA>MHK>DEN?

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: August 06, 2012, 09:03:02 AM »
it's funny.  frontier pulled their MCI-LAX direct in favor of an omaha-lax direct.  idiots.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: August 06, 2012, 09:04:27 AM »
Give me a day, I'll check with my airport source and see if they know anything.  You better not be getting my hopes up....

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: August 07, 2012, 12:07:21 PM »
They have a very specific set of improvements for the coming decade. It's ALL about finding the money. The next item is a jetway. Will cost 1.7 mill. Parking lot improvements. Have to decide if they free parking, paid parking to help offset the cost of expanding the lot (then you give up one odd the benefits-free parking which attracts people but then you have to figure out how to pay for the improvements. The terminal needs to be 3.5 times bigger than it is right now. Big bucks, where do those come from? The data on usage currently justifies a west bound flight and is being shopped around. Will not be American as they don't go direct to Denver. Good problems to have. NBAF stalling has slowed things down.

sounds pretty positive :dunno:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: August 07, 2012, 12:10:56 PM »
it's like, i keep hearing how the terminal needs to be way bigger than it is but i just don't see why. build whatever runaway thingy you need to build and let's go get some more flights!

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: August 07, 2012, 05:43:12 PM »
i feel like there should be some sort of pocket planes fundraiser or something.  i have no idea how the logistics would work, but man oh man it would feel awesome to funnel a bunch of flights in/out of mhk  :AA:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: August 14, 2012, 08:38:09 AM »
Attended the unveiling today of the proposed enhancements to the airport. There were three possible designs presented and they each cost the same, so it's a style decision now. They asked for input from the public. The one I liked the best had a roof line that looked like three ocean waves back to back washing across the roofline. The first phase will be to add significant new parking. THe grassy area currently in front of the airport terminal will become parking. They will have both short term and long term paid parking (unattended). That will start in January. Then next Spring they will be the first section onto the terminal and also add a jetway access to the planes. Then in 2014 the big addition will hopefully start that will make the terminal 3.5 times bigger. The current high arched center area will become the lobby and restaurant dining area. Additional baggage claim area with two "T" shaped conveyer bag claim areas, new car rental area, additional gates, meeting room spaces, etc being added. It looks great and will definitely elevate The AP. They are seriously working with several carriers to head west. It will definitely be Denver for the destination. If its United it will prob be two daily flights. One morning and one early pm. Would be 50 passenger planes. If its Frontier would be 1 flight 4 days per week in a 120 passenger plane. That's really to big for Man to fill up. Hope to have those Denver flights by June but just waiting on the carriers. Also good chance of adding a 4th daily Dallas flight. No addl flights to Chicago for now. Military account for 50% of the Dallas flights now. NBAF is not a big issue for the airlines as they don't really know how to measure its impact and they just consider it another possible employer. The airport folks thinks it will have a large impact, particularly thru the university.

Boffom line...exciting days at the Man airport. Will really give it a regional feel and have a big economic impact. Great time to be living in Manhattan.
Also, the new K18 work will not be finished until Jan 2013. There will be two roundabouts at the Scenic Drive overpass to access the frontage road that will run parallel to the new K18. You will be able to enter the airport from either the frontage road which will run all the way to Ogden or from K18. Should have pics in the paper Tuesday

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: August 14, 2012, 08:39:36 AM »
twice daily united to denver possibilities  :horrorsurprise:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: August 14, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
the united jets would be Embraer ER4s

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/United_Airlines/United_Airlines_Embraer_ERJ-145.php

I'm guessing the 120 seat frontier jet would be an A318.  Would be stupid to A) fly something that big into/out of MHK right now and B) fly it only 4 times a week.  The united plan sounds much better.

http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/Frontier_Airlines/Frontier_Airlines_Airbus_A318.php

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: August 14, 2012, 08:52:45 AM »
Attended the unveiling today of the proposed enhancements to the airport. There were three possible designs presented and they each cost the same, so it's a style decision now. They asked for input from the public. The one I liked the best had a roof line that looked like three ocean waves back to back washing across the roofline. The first phase will be to add significant new parking. THe grassy area currently in front of the airport terminal will become parking. They will have both short term and long term paid parking (unattended). That will start in January. Then next Spring they will be the first section onto the terminal and also add a jetway access to the planes. Then in 2014 the big addition will hopefully start that will make the terminal 3.5 times bigger. The current high arched center area will become the lobby and restaurant dining area. Additional baggage claim area with two "T" shaped conveyer bag claim areas, new car rental area, additional gates, meeting room spaces, etc being added. It looks great and will definitely elevate The AP. They are seriously working with several carriers to head west. It will definitely be Denver for the destination. If its United it will prob be two daily flights. One morning and one early pm. Would be 50 passenger planes. If its Frontier would be 1 flight 4 days per week in a 120 passenger plane. That's really to big for Man to fill up. Hope to have those Denver flights by June but just waiting on the carriers. Also good chance of adding a 4th daily Dallas flight. No addl flights to Chicago for now. Military account for 50% of the Dallas flights now. NBAF is not a big issue for the airlines as they don't really know how to measure its impact and they just consider it another possible employer. The airport folks thinks it will have a large impact, particularly thru the university.

Boffom line...exciting days at the Man airport. Will really give it a regional feel and have a big economic impact. Great time to be living in Manhattan.
Also, the new K18 work will not be finished until Jan 2013. There will be two roundabouts at the Scenic Drive overpass to access the frontage road that will run parallel to the new K18. You will be able to enter the airport from either the frontage road which will run all the way to Ogden or from K18. Should have pics in the paper Tuesday

:woot:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: August 14, 2012, 08:56:03 AM »
but, I mean, can you imagine "Grizwald" the grizzley bear or "Stu" the rabbit sitting on the MHK tarmac  :horrorsurprise:

HI STU!  :excited:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: August 14, 2012, 08:57:42 AM »
KK, please include said pics in sunday digest :thumbs:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: August 14, 2012, 08:59:12 AM »
INCLUDE THE PICS KK!

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: August 14, 2012, 09:02:27 AM »
i've only flown frontier once and it was for work. sat down and realized every seat had a tv. jackpot. waited for the person to come around so i could purchase it or whatever and when she got to my seat, she swiped a card for me and said it was already included in the price of my ticket.  :gocho:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: August 14, 2012, 09:04:44 AM »
i've only flown frontier once and it was for work. sat down and realized every seat had a tv. jackpot. waited for the person to come around so i could purchase it or whatever and when she got to my seat, she swiped a card for me and said it was already included in the price of my ticket.  :gocho:

they also have fat tire.  watched the OSU v. Arizone football game last year while pounding fat tire's.  frontier is a great.  probably my favorite domestic coach carrier. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: August 14, 2012, 09:08:56 AM »

they also have fat tire.  watched the OSU v. Arizone football game last year while pounding fat tire's.  frontier is a great.  probably my favorite domestic coach carrier.

it was pretty fantastic. reward availability bad though, right? would still start churning that barclays card like crazy though regardless.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: August 14, 2012, 09:12:42 AM »

it was pretty fantastic. reward availability bad though, right? would still start churning that barclays card like crazy though regardless.

yeah, it sucks.  you can find low level award travel but some dates they black out on certain routes and some you have to plan well ahead to book on points.  I've got almost 60k and am considering just booking a high level 50k RT instead of continually searching for a low level 25k.  usually the cheapest carrier to vegas or denver from omaha though. and much better flight experience than Southwest who usually comes in second on price and last place on screaming kids.  frontier also doesn't open up booking until around the time SW does.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 14, 2012, 09:13:53 AM »
outside of the great flight experience and animals on the jets though, you should be rooting for that United twice daily imo. 

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 14, 2012, 09:34:48 AM »
 :dance: <Is there someway I can make this gentleman dance harder, because right now he is understating how hard I am dancing.  Significantly.