Author Topic: Game of Thrones Thread for people unfamiliar with Game of Thrones  (Read 4204 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Do you guys think they talk in some quasi Old English that's really tedious to listen to?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Game of Thrones Thread for people unfamiliar with Game of Thrones
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »
Probably.  I've been wondering ever since I saw 10 min of that one episode with that ginormous wolf.. is it like Narnia where the animals/dragons can speak to humans?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2019, 02:01:14 PM »
I think I did see the pic of a giant wolf. And maybe a dragon!?!? Now that I think about it, they may not even be on Earth let alone speaking Old English.

I hope that when you start watching it, you know going in that there will be giant wolves and dragons. And little elf people if they have those. Because it would totally suck to watch a couple of seasons and then they spring that kind of bullshit on you. It's like, SURPRISE! It's a giant wolf! Whether you like it or not, you're now watching a show that features a giant wolf!

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2019, 02:02:34 PM »
I can answer these questions if you want, but I understand if you don't want the answer as well.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2019, 02:12:11 PM »
I'm honestly kind of curious how the show evolved. Because I remember hearing about it years ago and it seemed like King Arthur and now it seems more like Lord of the Rings. I've also heard that it is a very horny show, which is probably the part I'd like the most.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 02:16:03 PM »
What's the goal of the people on the show?  I keep hearing about sitting on the iron throne - is that an actual chair?  What's the problem?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 02:31:33 PM »
Do you guys think they talk in some quasi Old English that's really tedious to listen to?

Mostly British accents but lots of others too. I don't think it's tedious.

Probably.  I've been wondering ever since I saw 10 min of that one episode with that ginormous wolf.. is it like Narnia where the animals/dragons can speak to humans?

No, the animals don't talk, but some have a close bond with their human and pretty much understand whatever the human says.

I think I did see the pic of a giant wolf. And maybe a dragon!?!? Now that I think about it, they may not even be on Earth let alone speaking Old English.

I hope that when you start watching it, you know going in that there will be giant wolves and dragons. And little elf people if they have those. Because it would totally suck to watch a couple of seasons and then they spring that kind of bullshit on you. It's like, SURPRISE! It's a giant wolf! Whether you like it or not, you're now watching a show that features a giant wolf!

Imginary planet with (basically) 2 continents in the known world. The wolves are introduced in the pilot but are tiny cute little puppies, they don't get that large for a few years. The dargons are "born" at the end of the first season as tiny little baby dargons. There are little elf people! They aren't shown until briefly in s4 and then a little more in 6.

I'm honestly kind of curious how the show evolved. Because I remember hearing about it years ago and it seemed like King Arthur and now it seems more like Lord of the Rings. I've also heard that it is a very horny show, which is probably the part I'd like the most.

Super horny show with loots of hoots and dongs. The show has definitely slowly introduced more magical or supernatural elements over time. It fits the universe, but it's not really what you think you signed up for from 99% of S1

What's the goal of the people on the show?  I keep hearing about sitting on the iron throne - is that an actual chair?  What's the problem?

The goal differs from person to person. Some want to be king/queen, some just want to chill out and drink. The Iron throne is real and the king's chair (it's made out of swords  :lol: ).
« Last Edit: May 01, 2019, 02:37:52 PM by libstradamus »

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2019, 02:42:49 PM »
Imginary planet with (basically) 2 continents in the known world.

How are these people getting around or even aware of each other?  No electricity or rapid forms of transportation, right?

The goal differs from person to person. Some want to be king/queen, some just want to chill out and drink. The Iron throne is real and the king's chair (it's made out of swords  :lol: ).

What's the hold-up?  Is it a matter of finding this chair and sitting in it or is there some prerequisite?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2019, 02:47:18 PM »
The wolves are introduced in the pilot but are tiny cute little puppies, they don't get that large for a few years. The dargons are "born" at the end of the first season as tiny little baby dargons. There are little elf people! They aren't shown until briefly in s4 and then a little more in 6.

Oh, man. I would be so pissed.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2019, 02:49:43 PM »
Well the current king/queen doesn't really give up their position very easily, you have to take it by force.

It's medieval type times so they get around by horses and boats and eventually a few can ride dragons. The two continents are like a few days boat ride distance from each other. The king controls one continent, the other is a bunch of city-states and nomadic hordes. There are also messenger ravens that can take scrolls between locations fairly quickly.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2019, 02:54:17 PM »
The wolves are introduced in the pilot but are tiny cute little puppies, they don't get that large for a few years. The dargons are "born" at the end of the first season as tiny little baby dargons. There are little elf people! They aren't shown until briefly in s4 and then a little more in 6.

You might be surprised... It's mostly a political drama with shitloads of schemes and betrayals.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2019, 03:02:50 PM »

You might be surprised... It's mostly a political drama with shitloads of schemes and betrayals.

Plus sexy time nudity? Hmm.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2019, 03:23:26 PM »
It's medieval type times so they get around by horses and boats and eventually a few can ride dragons. The two continents are like a few days boat ride distance from each other. The king controls one continent, the other is a bunch of city-states and nomadic hordes. There are also messenger ravens that can take scrolls between locations fairly quickly.

time travel helps with the horses, boats and dragons.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2019, 05:23:01 PM »

time travel helps with the horses, boats and dragons.

Is it time travel or just the showrunners fast forwarding through the boring travel time

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2019, 06:14:35 PM »
it's time travel.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2019, 06:39:47 PM »
The time travel complainers are the worst. Just relax and allow yourself to be entertained.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2019, 08:09:53 PM »
The time travel complainers are the worst. Just relax and allow yourself to be entertained.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2019, 08:54:07 PM »
snape kills dumbledore
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2019, 08:28:40 AM »

No, the animals don't talk, but some have a close bond with their human and pretty much understand whatever the human says.

Oh, so like Pete's Dragon basically.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2019, 08:34:08 AM »
I have no idea what that nerd crap is

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2019, 09:58:09 AM »
Oh, there's time travel too.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2019, 10:04:02 AM »
Is there magic? Or maybe I should say, something we would consider to be supernatural in our world, but could perfectly natural in their world? And if so, do they also have their own concept of magic that includes things not natural to their world?

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2019, 10:17:45 AM »
Is there magic? Or maybe I should say, something we would consider to be supernatural in our world, but could perfectly natural in their world? And if so, do they also have their own concept of magic that includes things not natural to their world?

For the most part the world is non-magical. When people do see magic crap it's unusual and they are either amazed, scared, or think it's some sort of trick. There is a brief appearance of warlocks but everyone thinks they are drug addicts. I can't think of anything magical that is just a normal part of the world except the seasons, summers and Winters can last years at a time.

Online Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2019, 10:17:56 AM »

There is magic, but most of the characters don't really believe in it.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2019, 02:05:50 PM »
Fans of the show seem to be divided. One group says the show has gotten sucky. The other group is trying to rationalize why it has not actually gotten sucky.