Author Topic: Texas thread  (Read 15694 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Texas thread
« Reply #125 on: February 13, 2019, 11:29:42 AM »
I also love MM and am jealous as hell about what he is doing but it seems kinda forced, especially when the arena is half empty. 

I am pretty sure he has 3 or 4 kids now so I am not surprised at all showing up at UT games on weeknights has become a much bigger priority for him

What in the world? What would sports attendance look like if local mom and dads only attended games with their kids?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 13, 2019, 11:31:27 AM »
McConaughey : Austin, TX :: Stonestreet : Manhattan, KS

I was about to post exactly this but with KSU/UT.  It's spot on.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 13, 2019, 11:33:09 AM »

It really is. Couple it with the fact that their guy lives in Austin, ours is NEVER moving back to Manhattan.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 13, 2019, 11:36:49 AM »

Man, KSU/UT is great, too.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 13, 2019, 11:52:31 AM »
I also love MM and am jealous as hell about what he is doing but it seems kinda forced, especially when the arena is half empty. 

I am pretty sure he has 3 or 4 kids now so I am not surprised at all showing up at UT games on weeknights has become a much bigger priority for him

What in the world? What would sports attendance look like if local mom and dads only attended games with their kids?
I am saying becoming the Minister of Culture sounds a lot more fun to MM now than it did 5 or 6 years ago with what I assume has been a big change in his lifestyle now he has a family. 

Maybe it is just his investment in the arena but this is a perfect get out of the house excuse for him - "Gee Babe, I am really sorry I have this commitment and must go to the game tonight and leave you to deal with the kids" as he grabs the keys to his Connie with seats upholstered from Bevo XIV

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 13, 2019, 11:56:08 AM »

It really is. Couple it with the fact that their guy lives in Austin, ours is NEVER moving back to Manhattan.

It's spot on, but I think it should be
McConaughey : Stonestreet :: Austin, TX : Manhattan, KS

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: February 13, 2019, 12:04:01 PM »

I am saying becoming the Minister of Culture sounds a lot more fun to MM now than it did 5 or 6 years ago with what I assume has been a big change in his lifestyle now he has a family. 

Maybe it is just his investment in the arena but this is a perfect get out of the house excuse for him - "Gee Babe, I am really sorry I have this commitment and must go to the game tonight and leave you to deal with the kids" as he grabs the keys to his Connie with seats upholstered from Bevo XIV

That's endearing, he dips out to watch his horns like we do with our cats. The difference is his life is 10x more interesting than everyone else on the planet, so he gets to sit on the bench in a burnt orange leisure suit.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2019, 12:11:24 PM »
If I was a Texas fan I would find the MM stuff very annoying

go on.....
If he wants to come to games, great.  Be on TV and the videoboard all the time if you like.  But get out of our huddle and stop trying to be a meme on our bench with your orange jumpsuit every game.  It seems like he's treating the whole thing as a joke.

As an opposing fan that gets to have MM at one of our games, I think it's great and funny.  But if it was my team, the act would be tired after one game imo.

You don't think he's socially literate enough to be in the huddle but not be in the way? I'd bet a million dollars that he's less of a distraction on the bench and in the huddle than some 19 year old dork manager from The Woodlands who wanted to be a Longhorn manager his whole life. Who would they rather have around the team MM or Sean Frye. Not to mention having him around does much more for Shaka and that program than it does McConaughey.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 13, 2019, 12:20:42 PM »
If I was a Texas fan I would find the MM stuff very annoying

go on.....
If he wants to come to games, great.  Be on TV and the videoboard all the time if you like.  But get out of our huddle and stop trying to be a meme on our bench with your orange jumpsuit every game.  It seems like he's treating the whole thing as a joke.

As an opposing fan that gets to have MM at one of our games, I think it's great and funny.  But if it was my team, the act would be tired after one game imo.

You don't think he's socially literate enough to be in the huddle but not be in the way? I'd bet a million dollars that he's less of a distraction on the bench and in the huddle than some 19 year old dork manager from The Woodlands who wanted to be a Longhorn manager his whole life. Who would they rather have around the team MM or Sean Frye. Not to mention having him around does much more for Shaka and that program than it does McConaughey.
Listen, I don't know how socially literate MM is.  All I know is that he's sitting on Texas' bench wearing an ironic three piece suit.  If I was in a huddle with Sean Frye and MM and the rest of my team, my mind would definitely be focused more on MM than Sean Frye.  Then again, I've seen How to Lose a Guy in Ten Days a lot of times, so maybe i'm more susceptible to the MM-effect.

Regardless, I'm not saying he has any tangible effect on the team one way or the other, but I'm saying that if i were a fan of a very talented, but mediocre bubble team that was losing more often than it really should, I'd be frustrated with these theatrics. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 13, 2019, 12:30:12 PM »
As a former dork basketball manager myself, MIR and DLewer are definitely right.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: February 13, 2019, 12:33:33 PM »
If I was a Texas fan, McConaughey as Ambassador of Culture would probably be in my top 2-3 highlights of this season so far.

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 13, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
Yep, he/it's great

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: February 13, 2019, 01:11:03 PM »
MM is a giant stud. I get Dlew's point, but as an opposing fan, I find it awesome AF! That suit! :love:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: February 13, 2019, 01:12:27 PM »
DLew seems to hate the awesome suit more than anything. Very strange.
:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 13, 2019, 01:15:37 PM »
They should do that bump the chest thing every timeout break they get.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: February 13, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »
I'm guessing that @Dlew12 draws parallels between MM's suit and people talking incessantly about new uniforms.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 13, 2019, 02:57:19 PM »
So Keitz did some research and the reason why MM is such a main focus this year is because him and a group are trying to back a 355 Million Dollar new basketball arena/concert venue so they can bring in big acts into Austin, TX. He's steering the thing, so they thought it would be important for him to be the face of the movement. Sounds interesting.

Offline WildcatNkilt

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Had the worst birthday ever on Dec. 5th of '98.
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: February 13, 2019, 03:02:11 PM »
Texas has a $40B endowment, with another $20B+ that comes from the State of Texas.  Not sure why they have to campaign so hard for a measly $355m arena.  That's couch cushion money for them.
Kansas City Blue Barbecue fan.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 13, 2019, 03:03:01 PM »
Kietz's research must've included the same KC Star article I read this morning.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: February 13, 2019, 03:03:44 PM »
Haha, must have.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 13, 2019, 03:08:23 PM »
lol at the idea of Kevin Keitzman researching anything requiring more than 1 google search

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: February 13, 2019, 03:13:05 PM »
when it's KU related he does some digging, but yeah, you're right.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 13, 2019, 03:19:54 PM »
Kietz's research must've included the same KC Star article I read this morning.
At first I was disappointed the article was so short and then i thought "oh well, yeah i guess it makes sense that it's a really short article." 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline CatMission

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 13, 2019, 03:43:17 PM »
I was at the game last night, and to be honest, i didn't even notice MM until almost halftime.  It sounds like he was a staple of the tv coverage though which doesn't surprise me, but it didn't appear to me that he was distracting at all.

As for the arena, it's a done deal that is going to happen because the medical school is expanding onto the land where the Erwin Center is located.  The new arena will be by the football stadium in order to share parking.  And it cannot come soon enough.  That is a really bad arena (not Baylor bad, but bad) made worse by poor attendance and a complete lack of enthusiasm amongst the fans.