Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016883 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #2025 on: April 22, 2013, 09:09:01 PM »
I still haven't seen the Godfathers.  It is just really hard for me to dedicate that amount of time to a movie.  Might try for one this week.  Jakesie, any added bonuses (details that it would help me notice) for doing both in a short period of time or just whenever for the second?
I watched both in a weekend a few weeks ago and it was really awesome to watch it unfold.  I suppose you could watch them separately, but watching them together was tops.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2026 on: April 22, 2013, 10:11:28 PM »
Godfather pt 2 is increds

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2027 on: April 22, 2013, 10:45:08 PM »
Amc showed them cut into chronological order one time. It was cool

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2028 on: April 23, 2013, 10:14:19 PM »
Say what you want about "Argo" but that was the most intense 30 minutes I've ever sat through (non K-State sports related).

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2029 on: April 24, 2013, 07:45:54 AM »
Say what you want about "Argo" but that was the most intense 30 minutes I've ever sat through (non K-State sports related).

that's so weird because it wasn't intense.  you must be an intensity pussy.  no big deal tho. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2030 on: April 24, 2013, 10:46:04 AM »

that's so weird because it wasn't intense.  you must be an intensity pussy.  no big deal tho.

i don't think i felt one iota of intensity in that entire film. gov't guy was all "lets make a fake movie." other gov't guys were all "we don't have any better ideas." canadian guys were all "we are the real heros here but we are canadian and we aren't going to make a big thing of it." first gov't guy was all "i'm ben affleck."

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2031 on: April 24, 2013, 10:54:36 AM »

Didn't think Argo was that intense, but it was a good movie. ZDT was intense and was a very good movie.

I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2032 on: April 24, 2013, 11:43:00 AM »
You guys serious? The whole time they were at the airport I couldn't really breathe. Reminded me of the Boxcutter episode of Breaking Bad, or the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2033 on: April 24, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
You guys serious? The whole time they were at the airport I couldn't really breathe. Reminded me of the Boxcutter episode of Breaking Bad, or the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2034 on: April 24, 2013, 11:48:00 AM »
Man KSC, I can't wait to give all my goEMAW buds free drinks on Friday then turn to you and be like "Yeah, that Bud Lights $10. Sorry, bro".

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2035 on: April 24, 2013, 11:50:02 AM »
Gummo
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119237/
I'm guessing that Poet Warrior and Harmony Korine would have some mild disagreements.

I like his motion pictures. Julien Donkey-Boy is his best.

Offline PoetWarrior

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2036 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:02 AM »
No one has made more hateable motion pictures than Sam Raimi.

« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:58:56 AM by PoetWarrior »

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2037 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:51 AM »

completely serious. to compare that scene to the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is off base, imho. some directors have a knack for drawing anxiety out of the viewer. Kathryn Bigelow has it. Tarantino has it. Ben Affleck does not. Part of the reason is because he doesn't develop the relationship with the characters and the viewer. I found most of the people in Argo to be completely static and was unable to relate with their circumstance or the challenges they faced.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2038 on: April 24, 2013, 11:55:23 AM »

wow man. i can't believe you would say something like that about Spider Man 3.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2039 on: April 24, 2013, 11:57:26 AM »

completely serious. to compare that scene to the opening scene of Inglorious Basterds is off base, imho. some directors have a knack for drawing anxiety out of the viewer. Kathryn Bigelow has it. Tarantino has it. Ben Affleck does not. Part of the reason is because he doesn't develop the relationship with the characters and the viewer. I found most of the people in Argo to be completely static and was unable to relate with their circumstance or the challenges they faced.

#TeamJakesie on this one. even when they were on the plane i was uneasy.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2040 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:49 PM »

Agreed on the characters. But it worked for me for some reason. We didn't know the characters at the beginning of Inglorious Basterds, either. I really didn't think I would be alone on this. Maybe I just related with it because of my time in Uganda. Being the only white person in crowded places like that is pretty nerve-racking, even if you're not being sought out to be tortured. But I also can't imagine I'm the only person in this discussion who has experienced that.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2041 on: April 24, 2013, 12:10:31 PM »
Man KSC, I can't wait to give all my goEMAW buds free drinks on Friday then turn to you and be like "Yeah, that Bud Lights $10. Sorry, bro".

interesting that you call me a goEMAW bud because i considered us to be real life friends.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2042 on: April 24, 2013, 12:19:21 PM »

interesting that you call me a goEMAW bud because i considered us to be real life friends.

They're not mutually exclusive.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2043 on: April 24, 2013, 12:30:25 PM »
Was in airports a bunch this weekend and watched:

1. Perks...Wallflower - was good.  Not amazing, but good.  Solid movie.

2. Argo - I really liked it a lot.  I also thought the airport scene was intense. The part where they are sorting out the tickets and especially the part where the plane is taking off were very good.

3. Django - This is QT's second best movie behind Pulp.  I really like the Jonah Hill scene, too. 

4. Zero Dark Thirty - I liked this one more than I thought I would.  Lots of ppl said that the movie kinda sucked other than the last half hour.  I disagree and liked how they basically reconstructed the way Maya progressed.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2044 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:16 PM »

2. Argo - I really liked it a lot.  I also thought the airport scene was intense. The part where they are sorting out the tickets and especially the part where the plane is taking off were very good.

3. Django - This is QT's second best movie behind Pulp.  I really like the Jonah Hill scene, too. 

4. Zero Dark Thirty - I liked this one more than I thought I would.  Lots of ppl said that the movie kinda sucked other than the last half hour.  I disagree and liked how they basically reconstructed the way Maya progressed.

These are the last 4 movies I have watched  :D

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2045 on: April 24, 2013, 12:43:27 PM »

Agreed on the characters. But it worked for me for some reason. We didn't know the characters at the beginning of Inglorious Basterds, either. I really didn't think I would be alone on this. Maybe I just related with it because of my time in Uganda. Being the only white person in crowded places like that is pretty nerve-racking, even if you're not being sought out to be tortured. But I also can't imagine I'm the only person in this discussion who has experienced that.

Don't think it has much to do with racial unease. For example, the 'straunt scene in Basterds where Shoshanna has to sit down with the persecutor of her entire family was extremely effective in building tension due to the actors themselves, the history of the characters, and the pace of the scene, among other things. Kathryn Bigelow seems to have a far greater control over the pace of her movies than what Affleck did in Argo. The entirety of the Hurt Locker is a demonstration in patience and drama. There are several other directors who have a fantastic grasp on this concept, but Bigelow is an easy example. Affleck seems to struggle with it in Argo, and, imo, fails in separating the idea of an action flick from one immersed entirely in drama.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2046 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:05 PM »

Don't think it has much to do with racial unease. For example, the 'straunt scene in Basterds where Shoshanna has to sit down with the persecutor of her entire family was extremely effective in building tension due to the actors themselves, the history of the characters, and the pace of the scene, among other things. Kathryn Bigelow seems to have a far greater control over the pace of her movies than what Affleck did in Argo. The entirety of the Hurt Locker is a demonstration in patience and drama. There are several other directors who have a fantastic grasp on this concept, but Bigelow is an easy example. Affleck seems to struggle with it in Argo, and, imo, fails in separating the idea of an action flick from one immersed entirely in drama.

I agree with everything you said, but I still think it was better than what you're giving it credit for. I'm not trying to convince you on that, because it's a matter of opinion. I'm not saying I agree with it winning Best Picture or anything.

I think Ben Affleck does a good job of consistently making B+ movies. The fact that he hasn't had any major flops says a lot about him. But I sincerely doubt he ever makes a grade A movie either.

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2047 on: April 24, 2013, 12:51:44 PM »

These are the last 4 movies I have watched  :D

:thumbs:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2048 on: April 24, 2013, 12:54:12 PM »

I agree with everything you said, but I still think it was better than what you're giving it credit for. I'm not trying to convince you on that, because it's a matter of opinion. I'm not saying I agree with it winning Best Picture or anything.

I think Ben Affleck does a good job of consistently making B+ movies. The fact that he hasn't had any major flops says a lot about him. But I sincerely doubt he ever makes a grade A movie either.

def. a matter of opinion. and i can't say that it was an absolutely horrible film. i just didn't like it that much.  :cheers:

Offline ew2x4

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2049 on: April 24, 2013, 01:31:05 PM »

Uwe Boll!