Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1015662 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #2000 on: April 16, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »
Just watched the original Evil Dead. The idea is brilliant, but horror movies just don't stand the test of time. It's hard to get past the terrible graphics and people being Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!). So I'm glad they made a remake.

2 and army of darkness are better.

Yeah, there really isn't even a need to watch the first one. 2 is basically a remake of 1, and AoD is just an awesome movie all around.

I, personally like all of them. AoD is phenomenal though. Excited to see the new one.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 16, 2013, 12:11:16 PM »
I enjoyed hunger games a lot.    :dunno:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Domino

• One by One
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2002 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:38 PM »
Biutiful

It was the first time I've seen Javier Bardem act outside of Skyfall or No Country For Old Man. It's surprising how normal he looks. It was a very weird script, a few scenes seemed unimportant and out of place, but Bardem delivered one of the best performances I've ever seen. If I started a "Top 3 Acting Performances since 2005" thread, would anyone participate?

I'm pretty sure he had a small role in that Jamie Foxx/Tom Cruise movie. He was one screen for a grand total of 120 seconds.

Last seen - Seven Samurai, an absolute classic. But brace yourself, it's 3 1/2 hours long.

I think I'll watch Rashomon over the weekend.

Oh guck dude. We should hang out. I get down on some samurai flicks. Akira Kurosawa is incredible.

Would love to do that sometime. PM me if you're in the greater KC area.

Also, since I had the most stressful part of the week taken care of, will watch Throne of Blood tonight. Unless I'm missing something, Hulu plus does not have Ran by Kurosawa, so I may end up renting that from Amazon for a night.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 16, 2013, 09:07:36 PM »
:D
Army of darkness is just an action nerdfest, not horror at all.

Dark comedy?

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #2004 on: April 17, 2013, 12:11:22 PM »
Gummo
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0119237/
I'm guessing that Poet Warrior and Harmony Korine would have some mild disagreements.

Do the Right Thing
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097216/?ref_=sr_1
I think this has aged well. Spike's best.

Killer Joe
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1726669/
Funny and disturbing. Nice showing from Friedken (although I prefer Bug)

Evil Dead (2013)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1288558/?ref_=sr_1
Nice homage to the original, but not as fun (also severely lacking in the oscar Campbell department).
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:19:05 PM by theswo »

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: April 19, 2013, 02:28:54 PM »
I Saw The Devil (2010): Basically an Asian version of Man On Fire, but with violence similar to Saw. If you can stand a few gruesome torture scenes, the psychology behind the killer and the guy getting revenge is pretty cool.

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: April 19, 2013, 02:30:04 PM »
Started The Master last night but fell asleep. Joaquin Phoenix though, holy crap, so good

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: April 19, 2013, 02:32:36 PM »
I Saw The Devil (2010): Basically an Asian version of Man On Fire, but with violence similar to Saw. If you can stand a few gruesome torture scenes, the psychology behind the killer and the guy getting revenge is pretty cool.

sooooo Law Abiding Citizen??
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: April 19, 2013, 02:34:03 PM »

It's definitely more violent than Law Abiding Citizen. Probably more violent than that and Man on Fire combined.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: April 19, 2013, 02:37:44 PM »

It's definitely more violent than Law Abiding Citizen. Probably more violent than that and Man on Fire combined.

Just giving you a hard time, friend. I'll consider watching it.

Offline daBish7

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: April 19, 2013, 04:00:43 PM »

One of my favorites from last year!

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: April 20, 2013, 11:28:28 AM »
"The Artist" may have been slightly overrated, but I guess 90% of "Best Pictures" are. I thought it was fun. It deserved Best Actor and I understand it getting Best Director. But just because they made a movie from the 1930's in 2011 doesn't mean it should be best picture.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: April 20, 2013, 11:57:06 PM »
Tried to watch the kings speech like 3 times and fell asleep every time. I just can't do it, it's so boring.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: April 21, 2013, 10:55:06 AM »
"The Artist" may have been slightly overrated, but I guess 90% of "Best Pictures" are. I thought it was fun. It deserved Best Actor and I understand it getting Best Director. But just because they made a movie from the 1930's in 2011 doesn't mean it should be best picture.

There are only 2 or 3 Best Picture winners that really impressed me.  Then again, after going through the list, I realize I have only seen a dozen of them.  Might have to spend combo fanning season going back through and watching all the best pictures through about 1970, except Titanic.  The eff I am watching that shitbox again.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: April 21, 2013, 01:38:53 PM »

There are only 2 or 3 Best Picture winners that really impressed me.  Then again, after going through the list, I realize I have only seen a dozen of them.  Might have to spend combo fanning season going back through and watching all the best pictures through about 1970, except Titanic.  The eff I am watching that shitbox again.

It's a fun adventure. I tried to go through all of the AFI's top 100 but only got through 70. Will probably try to get closer this summer. It's surprising how entertaining some of the really old ones can be, especially Charlie Chaplin.

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: April 21, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
Django Unchained.  Woof, way too long and shitty.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: April 21, 2013, 01:51:00 PM »

It's a fun adventure. I tried to go through all of the AFI's top 100 but only got through 70. Will probably try to get closer this summer. It's surprising how entertaining some of the really old ones can be, especially Charlie Chaplin.

I still haven't seen the Godfathers.  It is just really hard for me to dedicate that amount of time to a movie.  Might try for one this week.  Jakesie, any added bonuses (details that it would help me notice) for doing both in a short period of time or just whenever for the second?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: April 21, 2013, 01:57:28 PM »

I still haven't seen the Godfathers.  It is just really hard for me to dedicate that amount of time to a movie.  Might try for one this week.  Jakesie, any added bonuses (details that it would help me notice) for doing both in a short period of time or just whenever for the second?

Nah, they're pretty seperate stories. I would say the second one is almost stand alone, but you have to know how Mikey got to where he's at in order for the second one to be as powerful as it is.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: April 21, 2013, 02:25:51 PM »

This movie is great. Watched it about a year ago. Extremely good performances all around. Definitely intense and definitely not at all like Man On Fire.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: April 22, 2013, 03:13:28 PM »
life of pi was really good.  i didn't want to watch it, because i assumed it was something that it was not.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: April 22, 2013, 03:15:58 PM »
I saw oblivion. It was fine. no major regrets.

I would have enjoyed it way more had the trailers not been so revealing

Offline SabiNation

• Katpak'r
  • USA Handball - Rio 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: April 22, 2013, 03:34:06 PM »
life of pi was really good.  i didn't want to watch it, because i assumed it was something that it was not.

These were my thoughts exactly.  It was very nice, but it helped that my expectations were low going in
"If i worked for the NY times, and my boss told me 'hey. if you keep ranking ksu so high, we may fire you' i would tell my boss to 'bring it on.'"  -FFF

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: April 22, 2013, 04:19:18 PM »
Watched How to Survive a Plague several extremely powerful moments.  Not perfectly done and the pacing and tone is a little too uneven, the ending is good.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: April 22, 2013, 05:43:35 PM »

Too smart for you huh.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: April 22, 2013, 06:08:11 PM »

Too smart for you huh.

Watched it last night. Thought it was extremely good.