Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016001 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #12450 on: July 07, 2023, 07:56:42 PM »
going to see the new indiana jones movie with my kids and nephews today. probably going to suck but maybe it won't!

SUCKED BIGTIME! maybe would have been ok if it was an hour shorter.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12452 on: July 18, 2023, 12:27:04 PM »
I was a bit disappointed with Glass Onion. It had some fun moments, but I was still very ready for it be over 15 minutes or so before it did.  It seemed too detached from the real world for me.  None of the actors provided any grounding.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12453 on: July 18, 2023, 11:35:47 PM »
I really liked ‘Dog’ with Channing Tatum. I love dogs, and feel good movies, and it was just over 90 minutes long. A lot of boxes checked for me.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12454 on: July 24, 2023, 10:22:10 AM »
Saw Barbie on Saturday. Was a lot of fun, a few contrived and goofy things but that's the vibe of the movie and it was well well worth seeing. Had some deeper things to talk about of course with Barbie, but even for Ken I think it was a good journey for him and really Gosling looked like he was having the most fun of anyone.

I think the fight amongst the ken's was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

There will be a ton of costumes from this movie come Halloween
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12455 on: July 24, 2023, 11:10:46 AM »
Going to see Oppenheimer tonight!  :excited: :excited: :excited:
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12456 on: July 24, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »
Asteroid City was fine but I didn't like the format with the play and Brian Cranston. I kind of just tuned all of that out.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12457 on: July 24, 2023, 09:30:51 PM »

Really want to see it too. Had a friend do the full Barbenheimer and I'm jealous of that

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12458 on: July 24, 2023, 09:41:21 PM »
Saw Barbie on Saturday. Was a lot of fun, a few contrived and goofy things but that's the vibe of the movie and it was well well worth seeing. Had some deeper things to talk about of course with Barbie, but even for Ken I think it was a good journey for him and really Gosling looked like he was having the most fun of anyone.

I think the fight amongst the ken's was probably one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Further more thoughts (mild spoilers). I love this uber woke narrative about this movie being portrayed by the matt walshes, Ben Shapiro's et al of the world cause to me the movie superficially plays to that while also recognizing men as important, worth appreciation and respect. That's the whole point of ken's journey. He's so infatuated with Barbie he can't imagine how life without her. He goes to the real world. Finds it practically reversed of barbieland, and loves that he's finally taken seriously. Like yes in the end the Barbies " prevail" but that's also not the point. The point is they (barbies) took the Ken's for granted, didn't allow them to really understand themselves and they can be their own man without a woman. Call it woke, but the ultimate message I got was whether you're a guy or a girl, you don't need the other to define you, and you can be who you are with or without the other.

Offline waks

• this blog's dick pic expert
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Aggieville's Original Gastropub
    • View Profile
« Reply #12459 on: July 24, 2023, 11:20:21 PM »

Really want to see it too. Had a friend do the full Barbenheimer and I'm jealous of that
Saw it on Thursday. Ran a little long and the third act seemed unnecessary but pretty freaking good overall.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #12460 on: July 25, 2023, 08:55:40 AM »

Saw it on Thursday. Ran a little long and the third act seemed unnecessary but pretty freaking good overall.
Yeah it was a long movie but I thouroughly enjoyed it. Saw in the 70mm IMAX format too. Only 2 theaters in TX and 19 have that format in the US. Would go see it again.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12461 on: July 25, 2023, 09:01:21 PM »
Saw Oppenheimer on Sunday and Barbie on Monday, not sure if I qualify for the achievement. They were both amazing, very glad I saw in theater.

Barbie especially was a monumental achievement, especially given the source material.  My only gripe was the Will Ferrell casting, automatically makes it feel like a joke movie. They should have had John Hamm or done other man-king CEO type

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12462 on: July 25, 2023, 09:13:28 PM »

Further more thoughts (mild spoilers). I love this uber woke narrative about this movie being portrayed by the matt walshes, Ben Shapiro's et al of the world cause to me the movie superficially plays to that while also recognizing men as important, worth appreciation and respect. That's the whole point of ken's journey. He's so infatuated with Barbie he can't imagine how life without her. He goes to the real world. Finds it practically reversed of barbieland, and loves that he's finally taken seriously. Like yes in the end the Barbies " prevail" but that's also not the point. The point is they (barbies) took the Ken's for granted, didn't allow them to really understand themselves and they can be their own man without a woman. Call it woke, but the ultimate message I got was whether you're a guy or a girl, you don't need the other to define you, and you can be who you are with or without the other.
This was kind of my take. I thought it was hilarious when gosling went to the library, learned about the patriarchy then took it back to barbieland. Went from sleeping "wherever" to having the supreme court justices being his cheerleaders.

It was a "fun" movie, probably won't watch it again but it was enjoyable.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12463 on: July 26, 2023, 11:07:34 AM »
My only gripe was the Will Ferrell casting, automatically makes it feel like a joke movie. They should have had John Hamm or done other man-king CEO type

It's not a 'joke' movie?

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12464 on: July 26, 2023, 03:08:21 PM »
Did the double feature on Monday and everything that has been said about both is 100% accurate.

How many people do you think did the double feature? How elite of a crew am I in?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12465 on: July 26, 2023, 03:45:00 PM »
Did the double feature on Monday and everything that has been said about both is 100% accurate.

How many people do you think did the double feature? How elite of a crew am I in?

I believe Tom Cruise said he was going to do it so I would say a pretty elite crew.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #12466 on: July 26, 2023, 04:13:30 PM »
My only gripe was the Will Ferrell casting, automatically makes it feel like a joke movie. They should have had John Hamm or done other man-king CEO type

It's not a 'joke' movie?
No, it is an artistic masterwork

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #12467 on: August 07, 2023, 10:52:22 AM »
To argue the length of Oppenheimer, I would argue that the third act of the movie was easily far and away the best part of the film. I thought the end was so satisfying. If you can go see it in 70mm IMAX. It was fantastic and worth every penny.

Barbie is incredible and I enjoyed both movies very very much.

Once Hollywood gets done with the strike and starts getting back to work which will probably be longer than we all anticipate. They need way more one-off movies. The Marvel-Verse has America way too comfortable with just OK prequels or sequels. The last two Sundays going to the movies has been the most fun in a theater in years.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2023, 10:56:08 AM by GregKSU1027 »
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline Sandstone Outcropping

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • a punk who rarely ever took advice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12468 on: August 07, 2023, 02:51:15 PM »
Saw Oppenheimer on Sunday and Barbie on Monday, not sure if I qualify for the achievement. They were both amazing, very glad I saw in theater.

Barbie especially was a monumental achievement, especially given the source material.  My only gripe was the Will Ferrell casting, automatically makes it feel like a joke movie. They should have had John Hamm or done other man-king CEO type
Saw _Barbie_ last noc with Mrs SSOC and before enjoying beers on the roof of Tallgrass. Would 10/10 recommend both. Neither Mrs SSOC or I grew up playing with Barbies but we felt that the movie was both hilarious and surprisingly poignant.

Online Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12469 on: August 07, 2023, 10:19:43 PM »
Will Ben Shapiro's vocal opposition of Barbie lead more people to see it? I imagine most people who would be convinced not to see it because of his take were never going to see it in the first place. But a number of people who were okay waiting to see it once it was streaming might go to theaters to see it just to spite him.

THOUGHTS?!?!

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12470 on: August 08, 2023, 10:05:12 AM »
i watched driveways the other night on Prime.  nice short movie -- only about an hour and 20. 

the birthday scene at the bingo hall was one of the sweetest, most wholesome five minutes of film i've ever watched.  the movie comes recommended.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12471 on: August 11, 2023, 02:37:03 PM »
The last two Sundays going to the movies has been the most fun in a theater in years.

Did you not see Top Gun: Maverick in the theater you dumb idiot?

*sorry for calling you a dumb idiot.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12472 on: August 11, 2023, 02:40:48 PM »
Watched the first half of a film called 'Let Him Go' last night with my wife. We went to bed halfway through, not because we weren't enjoying it but because we were very sleepy and ready for bed. I very much enjoyed the first half and am looking forward to watching the rest of it tonight. Diane Lane and Kevin Costner are a great 1-2 punch.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12473 on: August 16, 2023, 06:09:13 PM »
Watched the rest of it, pretty darn good. Also one crazy scene with a hatchet whoa! /SPOILERS

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #12474 on: August 16, 2023, 10:54:05 PM »
I walked out of Oppenheimer because it was too long  :sdeek: