Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1017189 times)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #12300 on: February 28, 2023, 10:58:54 AM »
Rocky IV is funny because CF3 is right: there's a montage like every 5 minutes.  And it's very, very corny.

But come on, it's fun stuff.  IF HE DIES, HE DIES.  IF I'S CAN CHANGE, AND YOU'S CAN CHANGE, EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!  Maybe RogerEbertFor3 should settle down and not expect Citizen Kane when he watches the pulp fiction East versus West 3rd sequel to a boxing movie.

Rocky IV is great, but Rocky is also absolutely a classic film, so I can see how someone could think IV is ridiculous in comparison.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12301 on: February 28, 2023, 11:03:41 AM »
Rocky IV is funny because CF3 is right: there's a montage like every 5 minutes.  And it's very, very corny.

But come on, it's fun stuff.  IF HE DIES, HE DIES.  IF I'S CAN CHANGE, AND YOU'S CAN CHANGE, EVERYBODY CAN CHANGE!  Maybe RogerEbertFor3 should settle down and not expect Citizen Kane when he watches the pulp fiction East versus West 3rd sequel to a boxing movie.

Rocky IV is great, but Rocky is also absolutely a classic film, so I can see how someone could think IV is ridiculous in comparison.
Sure but like, it's pretty well accepted that Rocky is different from the sequels and kind of its own thing.

Rocky IV is still fun if you know that it's not the same as Rocky (which is pretty well established when the Robot shows up).

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline WonderMeal

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12302 on: February 28, 2023, 11:47:49 AM »
I don't get a lot of posting time these days due to personal complications, but I had to chime in here on Cf3's 0 Tacos Take. ("0TT") This post took me like 3 days to type out on a phone bc I can't get Tapatalk but I proceeded anyway bc I'm that committed to it.

Been watching Rocky movies with CF3 jr to get ready for Creed III and I have a hot take.

Of the first 4 Rocky movies, IV is the worst by a lot. The acting is terrible, the story is super predictable and boring, the fight is dumb because there's like 200 knockout level punches. There are 3 montages in the movie, they all suck. The training scene song "Hearts on Fire" is terrible. The crowd turning on their national hero and supporting Rocky is stupid. The scene where Apollo dies is ridiculous, Rocky holds a dying Apollo in his arms as the press crowds around taking pictures- there's not a doctor or paramedic around?

Rocky I and Rocky II are great movies, that have great characters. Rocky III is a good movie but is kind of corny.

People who think they love Rocky IV are either dumb or haven't seen it since they were 12.

While I enjoy Cf3 a great deal, this is a terrible take. (Also Rocky definitely deserves its own thread. =mods?=)

Rocky Bonafides
I completed a Rocky rewatch with the Li'l Meals a few years ago. I also had a high school relationship that was centered around the rank order of Rocky movies and whether III or IV was better. For a long time, Rockys I-V were the only movies I owned on DVD. A guy I know was playing "Hearts on Fire" as we lifted weights together less than two months ago, and the song absolutely still gets the blood pumping. So believe me when I state: Cf3's take is unequivocally wrong.

Cultural Endurance of Rocky IV
Rocky IV--while I agree, a different movie than Rocky I--is the best for exactly the reasons Cf3 hates it. Most people can name 1-2 iconic lines or scenes from Rockys I-III, but anyone who has seen it can name significantly more memorable moments from IV. They might remember the run up the stairs and "Adriaaaaaan," but that's all that most casual fans remember. And they probably can't tell you if those moments happen in I, II, or III.

But if people hear someone talking about Rocky IV, they will either say "Is that the one with the Russian?" or just immediately start quoting it--just as DQ did. They will talk about the training montage, Drago getting injected with Soviet steroids, Rocky winning the Cold War, "If I's can change," Apollo dying, the sexy robot, etc. They remember much more about the film than Rocky I, II, III, or V.

Rocky I may have an Oscar, but no one remembers where Rocky and Adrian met, how he proposed, how he trained (other than the stair scene), that the final fight was a Rocky loss, etc.

Culmination of Previous / Foundation for Future Movies
Rocky IV is an inflection point in the franchise. It is the culmination of the Apollo and Adrian storylines (both die during or after IV). It is Rocky at the peak of his powers--he has vanquished all foes.

It is also the basis for the Creed franchise. Is Adonis as bitter at the world if his dad doesn't die at the hands of Drago? (spoiler alert) It is literally the foundation for Creed II, as Adonis fights Drago's son (in a movie that made me IRL cry on a Southwest Airlines flight). We literally do not have the Creed franchise as we know it without Rocky IV.

Pre-Eminent Montage
The two iconic montages of the series are the Snow Montage (IV) and the Stairs Montage (I). But if you watch it again, the Rocky I montage is really just Rocky running around Philly or working out in a dirty gym for the first couple of minutes. Stallone's feats are impressive, but his body isn't necessarily overwhelming. The thing that makes it iconic is the music. (Note: most people think Eye of the Tiger is from the Rocky I montage. It's not.) Even when he gets to the top of the steps, he's by himself, he just kind of dances around, and then there's a freeze frame.

The Snow Montage blows it out of the water. The music is more "of its time." (Tons of hilarious synth.) The juxtaposition between Drago's training in a super high tech Soviet lab vs. Rocky's American can-do spirit out in the wilderness. (He helps a horse get unstuck from the snow like 10 seconds in?) Rocky is followed--and subsequently ditches--some KGB members. He cuts a ton of wood. His body is way more chiseled (probably from pulling Paulie in a sled, not from anything synthetic) than in I. Drago punches the computer thing. Rocky does an insane ab bend thing on a table that I have literally never seen another human do. He lifts a giant bag of rocks and also a bunch of people in a...chariot? It concludes with Our Guy climbing a MOUNTAIN and yelling his opponent's name loud enough for all of Soviet Russia to hear him.

Heck, it's even a DOUBLE MONTAGE. We get to see Rocky and Drago montaging together, as enemies (and future buds).

People will say that Rocky I is the best montage, because they remember the stairs and because they think it's Eye of the Tiger playing. But it's clear that IV's montage is better.

Best Villain
Drago is a better villain than Apollo and Clubber Lang. Apollo may be a better character, but Drago is a better villain.

Most Rewatchable
It's easily the most rewatchable movie of the series--a point MIR has already made. Rocky I is actually kind of slow. Rocky II is kind of the same movie as I but not as groundbreaking. Rocky III is beloved by Mr. T fans but is kind of a proto-IV. Rocky V and Rocky Balboa are largely ignored.

The movie that my kids wanted to rewatch the most? Rocky IV. The one they look forward to watching when we're back together? Rocky IV. 

I could go on, but it's more important to get this post out than to make sure it's perfect.  @Cartierfor3, ain't gonna be no rematch.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12303 on: February 28, 2023, 12:05:45 PM »
Great post WM.  I think you're dead wrong when you say IV>I.  They're just different kinds of movies.  But I is a considerably better movie than IV, imo. IV is largely camp, but good camp!  I is a bonafide film. I will also challenge your take that IV has a more concrete place in the cultural zeitgeist than I.  Nothing in IV approaches the iconic stair ascent in I.  Hell, the cliche of punching meat in I probably has more cultural staying power than anything in IV. 

I do very much like IV though.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12304 on: February 28, 2023, 12:06:04 PM »
Holy crap.  Here's a fitting response to that rebuttal of Cf3's hot take:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12305 on: February 28, 2023, 12:08:23 PM »
WM!!!!  :love:

CF3 can crap on IV as a film all he wants, but the thing i can't get past is he said the montages in IV suck.  :lol:

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12306 on: February 28, 2023, 12:09:51 PM »
The real steaming hot take here is that CF3 thinks 3 is better than 4. WTF is that?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12307 on: February 28, 2023, 12:14:06 PM »

CF3 can crap on IV as a film all he wants, but the thing i can't get past is he said the montages in IV suck.  :lol:
some of the montages in IV are NOT GOOD (looking at you car driving memories montage!)!  but there's a whole bevy to choose from, so some of the montages are elite.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12308 on: February 28, 2023, 01:02:35 PM »
Love Rocky and Creeds!  Creed 2 was pretty meh but so were some of the Rocky movies!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12309 on: February 28, 2023, 01:25:29 PM »

some of the montages in IV are NOT GOOD (looking at you car driving memories montage!)!  but there's a whole bevy to choose from, so some of the montages are elite.

my favorite part about the IV barn montage is that it answers the question "how would Tevye train for a championship heavyweight fight?"

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12310 on: February 28, 2023, 01:27:51 PM »
What kind of low grade people does Wondermeal run around with who think Eye of the Tiger is in Rocky I? Even a new born baby knows that song is from Rocky III

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12311 on: February 28, 2023, 01:31:27 PM »
oh Rocky unstuck a horse? makes a ton of sense that he'd be able to beat Ivan Drago in the ring. I'm kind of surprised more boxers don't train by, you know, running the snow and freeing stuck equine.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12312 on: February 28, 2023, 01:33:11 PM »

slowly driving in a car remembering scenes from the other movies, man that gets the juices flowing.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12313 on: February 28, 2023, 02:43:07 PM »
I thought Tár was great. The ending really comes out of nowhere.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12314 on: February 28, 2023, 02:51:13 PM »
I rewatched Creed last night. (we will get to Rocky V and Rocky Balboa to complete the series but skipping ahead for now) It's very good! The montage scenes were great and made sense and weren't stupid!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12315 on: February 28, 2023, 04:12:03 PM »
As a kid I liked Rocky V because Tommy “the Duke” Morrison visited my elementary school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12316 on: March 01, 2023, 06:37:54 PM »
As a kid I liked Rocky V because Tommy “the Duke” Morrison visited my elementary school

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tommy the duke morrison visited my table at a westport bar one night, sat down, pulled out some booger sugar, did a couple of rails, then peaced out

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12317 on: March 04, 2023, 09:54:16 PM »
Just watched Hustle (Adam Sandler basketball movie). I enjoyed it a lot! Kinda different from a normal movie and then had the longest montage in history and then was still pretty good!

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12318 on: March 04, 2023, 11:54:21 PM »
What kind of objects did Sandler lift in the montage

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12319 on: March 05, 2023, 09:43:44 AM »
What kind of objects did Sandler lift in the montage
Mostly a stopwatch with him saying motivational things over and over. (He is doing the coaching).

Also queen latifah plays his wife

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12320 on: March 05, 2023, 02:34:04 PM »
Knocked out Creed II.

I prefer Creed due to Rocky's role but really like Creed II also! But Michael B Jordan is kinda too small to be a believable heavyweight IMO.

Montages in that one get a 4 out of 5

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #12321 on: March 05, 2023, 10:12:52 PM »
Finally saw Arrival.  Very good!

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12322 on: March 05, 2023, 10:38:44 PM »
I watched Triangle of Sadness with my parents. They both hated it, but I enjoyed it. I thought the ending could have been better.

Ya, I didn't see it coming. Seemed rushed for a long movie.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #12323 on: March 06, 2023, 02:06:34 PM »
Finally saw Arrival.  Very good!
One of my favorite movies of the last few years.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12324 on: March 06, 2023, 03:01:10 PM »
I introduced Rocky IV to my kids this Christmas because it's a Christmas movie. It's the best Rocky by far. Bearded Rocky lifting up all his friends and family in the wagon as part of the Siberian training montage!  :love: I wish he would have kept the beard for the fight. But maybe it's against the rules?

Order of Rocky's best to worst: 4, 1, 2, gap, 3, big gap, 5, huge gap like one million grand canyons plus one million of that one moon crater that is even deeper than the grand canyon, Rocky Balboa