Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016410 times)

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #8025 on: March 13, 2017, 12:58:19 PM »
The African Queen (1951) -  :zzz: .5 / 7 this movie did not age well. bogie is ok (but why did they make him canadian??) but hep is really bad

High Crimes (2002) - :users: :users: :users: .5 / 7 exactly what you would think. early 2000's judd: brows and crying scenes. jim caviezel: aww shucks why is this happening to me? morgan freeman: why am i not in every scene? because i am very good at everything and should be in every scene. amanda peet: i'm crazy hot fyi. BONUS! adam scott: i can has military haircut!

Every Secret Thing (2014) -   :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: :don'tcare: / 7 i think i liked it, but it certainly could have been better. if you're into a story about two 11 year old girls kidnapping and sort of accidentally killing an infant, and then fast forward to what are their lives like now that they're 18 and out of prison, this may be for you. it's kind of a debbie downer, but there is some interesting psychological/racial/fat shaming material to digest as well.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8026 on: March 13, 2017, 01:35:25 PM »
Amanda peet was/is a def cutie pie

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8027 on: March 13, 2017, 02:01:11 PM »
Storks - Not terrible.  The story didn't make sense to me but there were some pretty funny one-liners and I really liked some of the songs.  The lumineers song at the end is very catchy.  It's not in the same league as most pixar and/or dreamworks productions but it was decent and the kids liked it.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #8028 on: March 13, 2017, 04:21:35 PM »
Amanda peet was/is a def cutie pie

she's def not aged well

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8029 on: March 13, 2017, 04:32:38 PM »
stfu mikey

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8030 on: March 15, 2017, 11:15:18 PM »
Captain Fantastic 8/10

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8031 on: March 16, 2017, 11:41:55 AM »
LOGAN

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8032 on: March 22, 2017, 10:47:25 AM »
Has anyone seen Raw? Apparently it's the goriest movie out in a long time...most theaters are handing out barf bags with your ticket.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8033 on: March 22, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
Storks was surprisingly good and funny.

I liked Fantastic Beasts way more than I thought I would. Kinda fun to see Harry Potter world without Harry Potter.

Did I discuss Lego Batman? I liked Lego Batman. A little too long, but smarter and funnier than I expected.

Sounds like I'll be renting Logan when it comes out.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8034 on: March 22, 2017, 11:11:48 AM »
Oh and my wife saw Beauty and the Beast with the kids. She was super excited about this movie and came home super disappointed. Said she might have enjoyed it more if she hadn't been comparing the songs to the animated version. Also (this one's for you Lib7) said the gay stuff with LeFou was a bit over the top for a kids movie.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8035 on: March 22, 2017, 11:13:13 AM »
I saw Beauty and the Beast and didn't notice LeFou being any different than in the cartoon, where he was also pretty blatantly gay.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #8036 on: March 22, 2017, 11:29:24 AM »
I saw Beauty and the Beast and didn't notice LeFou being any different than in the cartoon, where he was also pretty blatantly gay.
Maybe you lack gaydar?

The Big Train

« Reply #8037 on: March 22, 2017, 11:33:13 AM »
Has anyone seen Raw? Apparently it's the goriest movie out in a long time...most theaters are handing out barf bags with your ticket.

According to Wikipedia it's only made 35k in two weeks so I would say the chances are slim to say the least.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8038 on: March 22, 2017, 11:39:44 AM »
Oh, wow. I looked it up and I guess the "gay moment" was at the end where he's shown dancing with a dude in a dress for like 2 seconds. I didn't even notice that.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #8039 on: March 22, 2017, 12:00:39 PM »
Yeah, the gay thing is pretty funny considering the over the top reaction to it  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8040 on: March 22, 2017, 12:07:47 PM »
Is 'Arrival' any good?  Thinking of redboxing it.  One person told me it was a one way ticket to snoozetown usa, but another person told me it was a one way ticket to pretty goodtown usa.  Someone can break the tie for me if they want.

i can't remember if i gave it a 6/7 or 7/7.  would probably go with 6/7 for general consumption and 7/7 for people closer to my movie tastes.

I'll give you a comparison: if you're a dumbass who enjoys movies like Ex Machina that make you feel smart by pretending to be way more profound than they actually are, you'll like Arrival. For me it was 4.5 out of 5 Mehs. I'm shocked this thing got a best pic nom.

Storks was surprisingly good and funny.

I liked Fantastic Beasts way more than I thought I would. Kinda fun to see Harry Potter world without Harry Potter.

Did I discuss Lego Batman? I liked Lego Batman. A little too long, but smarter and funnier than I expected.

Sounds like I'll be renting Logan when it comes out.

your shits starting to make sense, bro

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8041 on: March 22, 2017, 12:24:48 PM »
I saw Beauty and the Beast with Mrs. YD and we really enjoyed it. I am not hung up on how it compares to the original, I haven't seen the animated version since I was a kid. Luke Evans was the best part of the movie, but the rest was also very enjoyable.

We were also aware of all the "hysteria" about LeFou being gay, but didn't get that vibe from the movie at all. The only person that might have been hinted at as gay was a gentleman who for a few seconds of the movie seemed to enjoy suddenly being in a dress. Everything else was overblown nonsense that I am sure came from angry people who hadn't seen the movie.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8042 on: March 22, 2017, 12:39:30 PM »
I saw Beauty and the Beast with Mrs. YD and we really enjoyed it. I am not hung up on how it compares to the original, I haven't seen the animated version since I was a kid. Luke Evans was the best part of the movie, but the rest was also very enjoyable.

We were also aware of all the "hysteria" about LeFou being gay, but didn't get that vibe from the movie at all. The only person that might have been hinted at as gay was a gentleman who for a few seconds of the movie seemed to enjoy suddenly being in a dress. Everything else was overblown nonsense that I am sure came from angry people who hadn't seen the movie.

Luke Evans was Gaston, right? My wife said he was the best part.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8043 on: March 22, 2017, 01:55:48 PM »

Luke Evans was Gaston, right? My wife said he was the best part.

Yes and he played it brilliantly. To be fair though, I felt the entire cast was strong. If I had to nitpick, Dan Stevens as the beast was probably the weakest casting and I think he did pretty well. The voice cast for the enchanted castle people were spot on.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8044 on: March 22, 2017, 03:26:50 PM »
So I guess Disney is going to remake most of their movies this way. They're printing money. I didn't think Cinderella was all that great but the model works.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8045 on: March 22, 2017, 03:37:47 PM »
So I guess Disney is going to remake most of their movies this way. They're printing money. I didn't think Cinderella was all that great but the model works.

Between these live action remakes, Marvel, and Star Wars. . .I just imagine the Disney execs swimming in money Scrooge McDuck style.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8046 on: March 22, 2017, 03:49:40 PM »
Money Monster wasn't terrible

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8047 on: March 22, 2017, 11:10:07 PM »
Passengers was an interesting idea. Guy is faced with a horrible decision in a horrible situation. Then the horrible bill comes due. Then.... they kinda just switched to a conventional Hollywood ending. Still enjoyable but felt like a missed opportunity.

I think this movie would have been even more interesting if they had cast an ordinary looking dude instead of Chris Pratt.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2017, 04:39:28 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8048 on: March 23, 2017, 12:51:32 AM »
Fences. It may get better but I made it 20 minutes. Drunk angry mysogyny isn't my jam. It's an easy role. I'm also not a huge Denzel fan. So my opinion may be a bit skewed.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8049 on: March 23, 2017, 12:53:15 AM »
Anyway, worst 20 minutes of a movie I've watched in years. Nothing about his plight is worth caring about. Terrible film.