Author Topic: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!  (Read 1016749 times)

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
Re: Recent motion picture viewing - Add your own!
« Reply #3250 on: January 09, 2014, 01:50:39 AM »
Prince Avalanche

Paul Rudd and kid from Girl Next Door.  These two are essentially the only two characters in the film (save for 2 others, who are on the screen for roughly 5 minutes total).  It's pretty funny but isn't what I would call a comedy.  It's a nice movie to look at too -- it's set in the woods and the there are a lot of cool shots of streams and trees and the sky and junk, if you're into that sort of thing.

4/7.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: January 09, 2014, 11:17:49 AM »
Prince Avalanche

Paul Rudd and kid from Girl Next Door.  These two are essentially the only two characters in the film (save for 2 others, who are on the screen for roughly 5 minutes total).  It's pretty funny but isn't what I would call a comedy.  It's a nice movie to look at too -- it's set in the woods and the there are a lot of cool shots of streams and trees and the sky and junk, if you're into that sort of thing.

4/7.

Watched this the other night. Pretty much dead on review. Some weird crap goes on in it (that woman who gets in and out of the old drunks truck).

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:23 AM »
Prince Avalanche

4/7.

Watched this the other night. Pretty much dead on review. Some weird crap goes on in it (that woman who gets in and out of the old drunks truck).
Yeah.  I had to do some research afterard on just what exactly the hell she was doing in the movie.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: January 09, 2014, 11:30:34 AM »
Prince Avalanche

4/7.

Yeah.  I had to do some research afterard on just what exactly the hell she was doing in the movie.

PRINCE AVALANCHE SPOILERS

Care to elaborate? I didn't feel too compelled. Figured she was a ghost or something, or the old guy was also a ghost. Idk.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: January 09, 2014, 11:35:27 AM »
Yeah basically.  I forgot that at the beginning of the movie it said four people died in the fire.  Also, she's supposed to represent the softer more redeeming quality of the two guys and the older drunk ("don't become attached to women," etc) is supposed to have represented their worse qualities.  I had forgotten that it said 4 people died.  The chick was one of them, and the three kids playing at the end are supposed to have been the other three.

Pretty strange movie, but even aside from all the weird stuff, it was pretty enjoyable.  Girl Next Door kid looks different. 

Offline Matt Siebrant's Left Hand

• Combo-Fan
  • I'm a Cat person
    • View Profile
« Reply #3255 on: January 09, 2014, 12:00:22 PM »
The Comedy

A dark comedy from Tim Heidecker. Didn't receive great reviews but I guess I enjoyed the movie because I'm familiar with Tim's unique deadpan style.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: January 09, 2014, 12:14:34 PM »
The Comedy

A dark comedy from Tim Heidecker. Didn't receive great reviews but I guess I enjoyed the movie because I'm familiar with Tim's unique deadpan style.

This was actually one of the best movies I watched last year. I still think about it and the impact it had upon viewing. Huge fan of Heidecker and his comedy, but this was something far beyond most of his other stuff. Actually, I think his other works plays perfectly into the main theme of the movie. One of the few movies I continually think about post-watching.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: January 09, 2014, 06:22:31 PM »
Just saw Wolf on Wall St.  Honestly, I feel pretty exhausted, and it's nothing to do with it being 3 hours.  Just a lot of general dick-ishness.  Was def cheering for Coach Taylor by the end.

Enjoyed it tho

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: January 09, 2014, 07:24:42 PM »
watched Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus and fell in love with Heath Ledger ( :cry:) and Christopher Plummer (again) and Lily Cole and sort of Andrew Garfield

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: January 09, 2014, 08:21:57 PM »
that movie was weiiiiiiiird, chunks. 

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: January 09, 2014, 08:35:52 PM »
that movie was weiiiiiiiird, chunks.
I want to be Terry Gilliam when I grow up

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: January 10, 2014, 11:13:59 AM »
The Spectacular Now

A nice little indie dramedy (more drama, less comedy).  Not the most original concept (popular boy meets dorky girl, but don't be so fast to judge a book by its cover!).  Anyhow, i thought this was very well done and does a good job of presenting the main character's flaws and his love interest's flaws, but still entices the viewer to root for them.

A great coming of age film. Best movie I've seen in the last few weeks. I would recommend to anybody.

15 minutes in, this movie appears pretty Dlewy
:adios:

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: January 10, 2014, 11:48:56 AM »
12 Years a Slave - Best movie of the year (although I'm about to watch "Her" so it may not hold that title for long). Definitely the most real feeling slave movie I've ever watched. Since he starts out a free man and ends up a slave it makes it feel more real because it's like, man if someone snatched me up right now and made me a slave that'd really suck. And it makes you think about that the whole movie. Not to mention Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Paul Dano and Benedict Cumberbatch are all in it. I really like the way McQueen uses music as well. He uses it very little and when it's in there you barely notice it because of it's subtlety, which also added to the realness of the movie.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: January 10, 2014, 12:44:46 PM »
The Spectacular Now

A nice little indie dramedy (more drama, less comedy).  Not the most original concept (popular boy meets dorky girl, but don't be so fast to judge a book by its cover!).  Anyhow, i thought this was very well done and does a good job of presenting the main character's flaws and his love interest's flaws, but still entices the viewer to root for them.

A great coming of age film. Best movie I've seen in the last few weeks. I would recommend to anybody.

15 minutes in, this movie appears pretty Dlewy

This movie was so god damn adorable it was painful for the first hourish, then heartbreaking and :KSUBrian: and the redeeming.  Great watch.
:adios:

Offline Willesgirl

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: January 10, 2014, 12:49:06 PM »
12 Years a Slave - Best movie of the year (although I'm about to watch "Her" so it may not hold that title for long). Definitely the most real feeling slave movie I've ever watched. Since he starts out a free man and ends up a slave it makes it feel more real because it's like, man if someone snatched me up right now and made me a slave that'd really suck. And it makes you think about that the whole movie. Not to mention Michael Fassbender, Brad Pitt, Paul Dano and Benedict Cumberbatch are all in it. I really like the way McQueen uses music as well. He uses it very little and when it's in there you barely notice it because of it's subtlety, which also added to the realness of the movie.

I really want to see this film, but I don't know if I will. Sounds way too depressing. Have you ever seen Diving Bell and the Butterfly? I was depressed for a month straight after watching it. I can't go through that again.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: January 10, 2014, 02:23:32 PM »
Oh my gosh you guys! There is a large gap between "Her" and the second best movie of the year. I loved everything about it. Futuristic, but believable (unlike most futuristic movies), acting, directing, the color schemes used throughout. It challenges/questions the most simple principles of relationships. And not just one aspect, like every aspect. And the conversations about feelings and what it means to feel are just so perfect. I really hope it's not too far out there to win Best Picture, because I can see all the old white guys who get to vote thinking that.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: January 10, 2014, 02:28:48 PM »
Oh my gosh you guys! There is a large gap between "Her" and the second best movie of the year. I loved everything about it. Futuristic, but believable (unlike most futuristic movies), acting, directing, the color schemes used throughout. It challenges/questions the most simple principles of relationships. And not just one aspect, like every aspect. And the conversations about feelings and what it means to feel are just so perfect. I really hope it's not too far out there to win Best Picture, because I can see all the old white guys who get to vote thinking that.

:D

that video game alien tho  :lol:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: January 10, 2014, 02:42:13 PM »
Just got caught up on the last few pages of this thread. Wow. What a great couple of pages. I really want to see 12 Years A Slave, Her, and Words Words Words because I love Bo.

And thanks to Dlew's site that is also a virus that you shouldn't open, I can watch them all!  :excited:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: January 10, 2014, 04:36:02 PM »
World's Greatest Dad

Robin Williams. Edgy dark comedy that's pretty funny. 

Offline theKSU

• Katpak'r
  • Team KSU
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: January 10, 2014, 06:22:40 PM »
Saw Catching Fire last night and it was quite good--almost as good as the first one, which I thought was surprisingly excellent bit of Sci-Fi for adults. Really looking forward to the next 2 (though I wish it was just a trilogy.)  Quickest 2.5 hour movie I've ever sat through. ***1/2 out of 4.

Mr. Banks was nice, funny, sweet. Kind of thing you can take your prude parents to. I give it ***/4.

I can't wait to see Her, as the reviews have been off the charts. I am curious to see if it knocks Gravity off my number 1 movie of the year. I saw a similar movie (sci fi romance) called TiMer, which was pretty decent for a Netflix movie.

I really have a long list of movies in theaters right now that I want to see, but I'll need to hold off for rentals so I have something to carry me through the doldrums of summer comic book crap.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #3270 on: January 10, 2014, 07:05:47 PM »
Her was amazing. Saw it last night. :love:

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3271 on: January 11, 2014, 10:11:39 PM »
The Lone Survivor was really really good. 

You really feel with the soldiers

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3272 on: January 11, 2014, 10:12:19 PM »
think i'm gonna go to the 10am smauuuuuuug showing if my pakedness allows

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #3273 on: January 12, 2014, 08:48:04 AM »
Walter Mitty is a good date movie. OK for the kids too.

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #3274 on: January 12, 2014, 04:53:53 PM »
The Lone Survivor was really really good. 

You really feel with the soldiers

Brutal.   Got a little dusty there at the end.