Author Topic: recruiting  (Read 5305 times)

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
recruiting
« on: January 24, 2019, 08:37:46 AM »
So OU bball has some of the shittiest attendance i've ever seen even when they have a decent team. other than the year Hield was a senior they haven't been all that good. How does Lon Kruger continue to sign a bunch of studs almost every year? i don't get it.
kruger is a little bit of a name around here for obvious reasons but outside of KS i don't think kids really know who he is. does he have some assistants who have pipelines to kids thru relationships?
i dont understand with the tradition and better atmosphere why Weber shouldn't be out recruiting Kruger

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: recruiting
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 10:59:43 AM »
We already our recruit them. We're better every year. Next...

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 11:14:33 AM »
i would snap switch recruits with them. can you imagine oscar with good recruits :love:

but maybe he needs the buy-in 5 heart types :dunno:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 11:44:58 AM »
He’s gonna have 2 first teamers this year in the Big 12

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 11:57:55 AM »
ok, mind changed, i wouldn't want to switch our 3 star recruits for oklahoma's 4 stars.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2019, 12:04:13 PM »
We have two 4 stars on this team

Offline surly

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2019, 03:56:53 AM »
monty murphy is top 150 now :thumbs:

Offline Catman2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2019, 12:53:14 PM »
This kid should help.  DaJuan Gordon plays in Peoria tonight.

4A: Belleville West (32-4) vs. Curie (34-1), 7:15 p.m.
The game of the weekend. The Belleville West Maroons are the defending Class 4A state champions and the Chicago Curie Condors are the state’s current top-ranked team.
“It’s going to sell tickets,” Curie coach Mike Oliver said. “I love the challenge and we got it. I told the guys if you want to be the best we have to go down there and beat Belleville West.”
Both teams are experienced and have star power. For Belleville West it is EJ Liddell, an Ohio State recruit and the reigning Mr. Basketball. For Curie it is DaJuan Gordon, the Sun-Times Player of the Year and Kansas State recruit.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2019/03/07/2019-chicago-sun-times-player-year-curie-dajuan-gordon/

Offline Catman2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 12:40:03 PM »
DaJuan Gordon scored 10 for Curie. Maybe better today in consolation game.

Belleville West w/ size clearly the better overall team.

https://www.pjstar.com/sports/20190315/class-4a-state-semifinal-no-2-belleville-west-beats-top-ranked-curie

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 04:03:44 PM »

The game of the weekend. The Belleville West Maroons are the defending Class 4A state champions and the Chicago Curie Condors are the state’s current top-ranked team.
“It’s going to sell tickets,” Curie coach Mike Oliver said. “I love the challenge and we got it. I told the guys if you want to be the best we have to go down there and beat Belleville West.”
Both teams are experienced and have star power. For Belleville West it is EJ Liddell, an Ohio State recruit and the reigning Mr. Basketball. For Curie it is DaJuan Gordon, the Sun-Times Player of the Year and Kansas State recruit.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2019/03/07/2019-chicago-sun-times-player-year-curie-dajuan-gordon/
i hope Gordon is a star but he was our 2nd or 3rd choice and not recruited by big boys

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2019, 06:38:39 PM »

i hope Gordon is a star but he was our 2nd or 3rd choice and not recruited by big boys
Seriously, 4 star and Chicago Player of the Year.  Murphy pushing for best player in Houston. 

Offline Catman2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 01:10:52 AM »
Last update on young Mr. Gordon. 
Seems like a humble kid with a good upside.

https://www.suntimeshighschoolsports.com/2019/03/16/curie-pulls-away-rockford-east-4a-third-place-game/

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 11:27:44 AM »

Seriously, 4 star and Chicago Player of the Year.  Murphy pushing for best player in Houston.

oscar is still landing 3 stars, yes, but 2 are top 150 3 stars (currently the top 130 are 4 stars and higher on Rivals). Murphy is #138, Gordon is #144, getting top 150 guys is an improvement. Gordon is also a late bloomer, didn't start Varsity until later in HS, uncommon for someone who is Mr Chicago Basketball. IIRC Diarra was also a late bloomer, didn't focus on basketball until later in high school. IMO oscar has been good at identifying who isn't just great in high school, but who has potential to be a great college player.

Our biggest deficiency is consistently getting good bigs. Wade is the exception. Guard talent has been and will continue to be a strength.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2019, 12:22:08 PM »

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2019, 01:19:39 PM »
oscar is still landing 3 stars, yes, but 2 are top 150 3 stars (currently the top 130 are 4 stars and higher on Rivals). Murphy is #138, Gordon is #144, getting top 150 guys is an improvement. Gordon is also a late bloomer, didn't start Varsity until later in HS, uncommon for someone who is Mr Chicago Basketball. IIRC Diarra was also a late bloomer, didn't focus on basketball until later in high school. IMO oscar has been good at identifying who isn't just great in high school, but who has potential to be a great college player.

Our biggest deficiency is consistently getting good bigs. Wade is the exception. Guard talent has been and will continue to be a strength.

To add, IIRC, Wade grew dramatically late in his high school career.  Coupled with his small town status, that thinned out competition for him quite a bit.

Offline kashi1965

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2019, 01:37:14 PM »

seriously being named chicago player of the year or houston's best player don't mean anything. they are certainly NOT the caliber of players of previous winners of those honors. these players are fine but would be bench players at the blue bloods and were not heavily recruited despite these honors. and as i said we didn't go after gordon hard until we lost out on others first

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2019, 01:42:24 PM »

Oscar has an eye for undervalued guards. Maybe Murphy and Okie Gordon heralds the start of finding the same quality bigs. Wade was a special heritage case Johnson and Maurice were the only other freshmen he brought in who weren't hopeless projects or just too unathletic and short (Stockard).

Offline Catman2

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2019, 01:53:37 PM »

To add, IIRC, Wade grew dramatically late in his high school career.  Coupled with his small town status, that thinned out competition for him quite a bit.

Agree Big Sam, D. Gordon will need to fill out too. Thin but very quick. The other Gordon, Antonio, from Oklahoma, must be growing as we speak. Probably a legit 6-8, listed at 6-9 on ESPN and Tulsa World has him “Antonio Gordon, Lawton Ike 6-10 Sr.” ( 2nd team Oklahoma 5A State Tournament team)

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2019, 01:54:39 PM »

seriously being named chicago player of the year or houston's best player don't mean anything. they are certainly NOT the caliber of players of previous winners of those honors. these players are fine but would be bench players at the blue bloods and were not heavily recruited despite these honors. and as i said we didn't go after gordon hard until we lost out on others first

You mean like the totally overrated Grimes? How in the world was that meh talent ever considered a top-10 recruit? I imagine he shot better in high school, but his ball handling and athleticism are underwhelming and no threat to take anyone to the hole. I am willing to bet D. Gordon puts up far better numbers next year.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2019, 02:51:40 PM »
Neither Wade or Murphy are bigs in oscar's 4 out 1 in offense. Dean is a tall face up player who can drag a defender onto the block if he needs to. I imagine the coaches will develop Murphy into the same. If Dean was a big Carti would be starting instead of Mak.

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2019, 07:58:43 AM »

seriously being named Chicago player of the year or houston's best player don't mean anything. they are certainly NOT the caliber of players of previous winners of those honors. these players are fine but would be bench players at the blue bloods and were not heavily recruited despite these honors. and as i said we didn't go after gordon hard until we lost out on others first

seriously saying it "don't mean anything" is dumb. I get what you're saying, he isn't a KG, D Rose, Isaiah Hawkins level talent. But it does mean something, that he is the best player on one of chicago's best teams, and if you read his story you'd get why blue bloods didn't heavily recruit him. He wasn't on many team's radar until a year ago.

And stop acting like you know how "hard" we went after recruits like you have any inside info. Ya we lost out on some top 100 talent but holy crap why are you upset about landing a rising 150 talent? So weird.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2019, 08:17:10 AM »
murphy looks like he should be rated higher, though the competition doesn't look great in that video. he's got skills

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2019, 08:39:55 AM »
murphy looks like he should be rated higher, though the competition doesn't look great in that video. he's got skills
Hes a four star rated number 80 on ESPN.  (Scout)   Transferred to Concordian LUtheran high school last fall where Weber said the coaches have improved his three point shot.  Murphy attended our A$M game and Weber said then that he has grown and is pushing 6ft 9.   He certainly looks like a guy that can be about as good as the work he is will to put in to continue growing his game.  We'll have to see about that part.