Author Topic: official: WELCOME CHRIS KLIEMAN -KANSAS STATE HEAD FOOTBALL COACH  (Read 52491 times)

Offline lakesbison

• Dances With Wolves Aggie
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
    • BisoNation
Re: official: WELCOME CHRIS KLIEMAN -KANSAS STATE HEAD FOOTBALL COACH
« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2018, 10:59:08 PM »
11am ESPN Sat Morning.

Come watch your new coach and SEE WHAT A MACHINE NDSU IS

ps. Theres a Cessna leaving Fargo Sat 7pm..heading to see Carson Wentz (NDSU QB picked #2...  just a tad higher than any KSU draftee) in Dallas..

pss...  pull out a map....draw a line from Fargo to Dallas.....   BINGO...  .Flies RIGHT over Manhattan .... perfect spot for a Refuel....   hint hint hint.    start checking flightaware girls
« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:13:26 PM by lakesbison »
www.BisoNation.com   7 time Natl Champs

K-State is NDSU 3.0  (cuz wyoming is 2.0)

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2018, 11:47:43 PM »
Lol at this hayseed flying to Dallas in a Cessna.
KU made the better hire....Miles is a sure fire grantee

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2018, 06:36:19 AM »
Went do I get the feeling these ndsu guys would let you screw their wives to prove those ladies are good in bed?
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 08, 2018, 10:14:30 AM »

Lol at hayseeds thinking a Cessna isn't a small time dentist plane

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #80 on: December 08, 2018, 10:52:43 AM »
klieman's 2016 team was basically his worst. it was still good enough to beat iowa on the road as a 14.5-pt underdog.

his first game as coach, in 2014, he took on iowa state. ndsu was a 6-pt underdog and won by 20 pts.

his current team is a top-25 level team. ndsu would be roughly a pick 'em if they played syracuse today on a neutral field. they'd be small underdogs (2-3 pts) vs teams like oregon or michigan state. they'd be a 10-pt favorite over this year's k-state team.

here's how klieman's current team would stack up vs the rest of the big 12 (all lines assume neutral field)

ndsu -10 vs k-state
ndsu -3 vs iowa state
ndsu -3.5 vs tcu
ndsu -4.5 vs texas tech
ndsu -17 vs kansas
ndsu -9 vs baylor
ndsu +1 vs texas
ndsu pk vs okla st
ndsu +8 vs wvu
ndsu +13 vs okla

and klieman has had better teams than this one.

so really, you can't knock anything about his coaching, his program, or his results. he's done everything you can possibly do. he's been at it for 25 years, at different stops, performing different roles, including as head coach now where he is leading a dominant team.

his wikipedia resume shows that he was a DB's coach for five years at UNI; that's not even accurate. he was the assistant head coach his first two years, was co-defensive coordinator his third year, and was the full-time defensive coordinator his last two years.

the year he was co-defensive coordinator, he shared the role with ... scott frost.

klieman was the one who called the plays on gameday, not frost.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 08, 2018, 10:57:38 AM »
klieman's 2016 team was basically his worst. it was still good enough to beat iowa on the road as a 14.5-pt underdog.

his first game as coach, in 2014, he took on iowa state. ndsu was a 6-pt underdog and won by 20 pts.

his current team is a top-25 level team. ndsu would be roughly a pick 'em if they played syracuse today on a neutral field. they'd be small underdogs (2-3 pts) vs teams like oregon or michigan state. they'd be a 10-pt favorite over this year's k-state team.

here's how klieman's current team would stack up vs the rest of the big 12 (all lines assume neutral field)

ndsu -10 vs k-state
ndsu -3 vs iowa state
ndsu -3.5 vs tcu
ndsu -4.5 vs texas tech
ndsu -17 vs kansas
ndsu -9 vs baylor
ndsu +1 vs texas
ndsu pk vs okla st
ndsu +8 vs wvu
ndsu +13 vs okla

so really, you can't knock anything about his coaching, his program, or his results. he's done everything you can possibly do. he's been at it for 25 years, at different stops, performing different roles, including as head coach now where he is leading a dominant team.

his wikipedia resume shows that he was a DB's coach for five years at UNI; that's not even accurate. he was the assistant head coach his first two years, was co-defensive coordinator his third year, and was the full-time defensive coordinator his last two years.

the year he was co-defensive coordinator, he shared the role with ... scott frost.

Sold

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 08, 2018, 11:02:08 AM »
Not sold. But if mustang hires CK, I will need jrake to make like 10 more posts like this that I can print out and read every night to stave off crippling depression.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #83 on: December 08, 2018, 11:17:48 AM »
i dug through a bunch of old articles looking for negative-sounding klieman stuff so i could make fun of him, but honestly didn't come up with much. he's far more intriguing than norvell or brown or any similar type guys imo.

two things give me pause though:

-when bohl left for wyoming, it wasn't the super no brainer to give the job to klieman that you would like for it to be. gene didn't look anywhere else in fairness, and klieman was his first and only target. but gene felt the need to interview him to 'feel him out.' gene's account of their meeting was essentially: "i went in feeling good about chris, and after our three-hour meeting, i felt even better." idk, it's nothing alarming but you would like a more full throated endorsement than that.

-if klieman is so obviously good, why was LittreLL gene's apparent top choice, and not klieman?

if snyder retired and gene instantly zeroed in on klieman, liked him so much he wouldn't even waste his time looking elsewhere, i'd view him more favorably. but the reporting we've seen so far indicates that hasn't been the case.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 08, 2018, 11:19:52 AM »

The citations I've flown in have all been incredibly nice.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 08, 2018, 11:21:12 AM »

ndsu -10 vs k-state
ndsu -3 vs iowa state
ndsu -3.5 vs tcu
ndsu -4.5 vs texas tech
ndsu -17 vs kansas
ndsu -9 vs baylor
ndsu +1 vs texas
ndsu pk vs okla st
ndsu +8 vs wvu
ndsu +13 vs okla

rake is so good. And compelling.

Big play offense so far in this playoff game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 08, 2018, 11:23:05 AM »
i dug through a bunch of old articles looking for negative-sounding klieman stuff so i could make fun of him, but honestly didn't come up with much. he's far more intriguing than norvell or brown or any similar type guys imo.

-when bohl left for wyoming, it wasn't the super no brainer to give the job to klieman that you would like for it to be. gene didn't look anywhere else in fairness, and klieman was his first and only target. but gene felt the need to interview him to 'feel him out.' gene's account of their meeting was essentially: "i went in feeling good about chris, and after our three-hour meeting, i felt even better." idk, it's nothing alarming but you would like a more full throated endorsement than that.

-if klieman is so obviously good, why was LittreLL gene's apparent top choice, and not klieman?

if snyder retired and gene instantly zeroed in on klieman, liked him so much he wouldn't even waste his time looking elsewhere, i'd view him more favorably. but the reporting we've seen so far indicates that hasn't been the case.
Because he knew fans would freak out over CK. Even if he thought CK was the greatest FCS coach in history he should feel out other candidates

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #87 on: December 08, 2018, 11:23:38 AM »
Big play offense so far in this playoff game.

if you're looking to see if he exceeds expectations in this game, ndsu was a 24.5-pt favorite

expected pts scored: 35
expected pts allowed: 10

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2018, 11:25:09 AM »

Because he knew fans would freak out over CK. Even if he thought CK was the greatest FCS coach in history he should feel out other candidates

a good AD should be able to sell the right candidate to a fanbase. it shouldn't be a consideration. i guarantee you, if i was the k-state AD and hired a coach everybody melted down about, i'd be at the podium within 3 hours answering questions and by the time i walked off you'd be convinced i just hired the next nick saban.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2018, 11:26:32 AM »
i guarantee you, if i was the k-state AD and hired a coach everybody melted down about, i'd be at the podium within 3 hours answering questions and by the time i walked off you'd be convinced i just hired the next nick saban.

I 100% have no doubt this would be true.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: December 08, 2018, 11:29:59 AM »

a good AD should be able to sell the right candidate to a fanbase. it shouldn't be a consideration. i guarantee you, if i was the k-state AD and hired a coach everybody melted down about, i'd be at the podium within 3 hours answering questions and by the time i walked off you'd be convinced i just hired the next nick saban.

Oh yeah. I'm just saying he has to look around no matter how much he loves CK. He can still sell him as Saban, just say something like "we spoke to a ton of amazing candidates but they just didn't compare to CK". IMO that looks better for Gene than just trotting him out there the day after Bill has his weird personal band concert.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: December 08, 2018, 11:41:00 AM »
 :cheers:
"hey mom, can you turn the tv down, i'm on the phone with kyle klieman"

"who is that?"

"the old north dakota coach! he wants me to play for him!"

"north dakota? i'm not sending you there!"

"no, he coaches at kansas state now"

"the jayhawks?"

"i think so"

"coach, you're with kansas or kansas state?"

"kansas state, and by the way, it's chris"

"oh, sorry chris, so tell me about yourself"

"well i was at north dakota state, not north dakota"

"oops, sorry, so you built that program?"

"well, not exactly, i inherited it from craig bohl who went 43-1 with three national championships the three years before i took over"

"oh, so you were the genius top assistant?"

"not really. so the first year we won the title, i was just the defensive backs coach. but then the next two years i was the defensive coordinator!"

"so you were the defensive mastermind of those teams?"

"well, again no. coach bohl played defense and has coached defense his whole life, so that side of the ball is actually his area of expertise. he gave me the coordinator title to help boost my resume."

"so tell me more about coach bohl, i take it he's having massive success elsewhere?"

"yeah, he's doing alright for himself. he's 28-35 at wyoming, almost .500 in conference, has produced one good offense in five years and won the potato bowl! some fans want him fired..."

"they do?"

"yeah - but they're a vocal minority."

"great to hear! so i'm assuming you have your own style?"

"umm, not exactly. i basically just do what bohl did."

"so what did he do?"

"well, he tries to slow the game down to a crawl. we snap it every 30 seconds. we play field position. we run the ball. power football. we use modern concepts like the play-action pass."

"to have the success you had, you must bring in some awesome recruits!"

"we've had a few good players, sure. but we don't put much emphasis on that. we're big on player development."

"so you just get athletic freaks and then you tr--"

"no, we look for character first. without that, you can't build a family."

"so quick question, if bohl taught you what you know, and he's not even doing that well at wyoming, then what makes you think you'll be able to compete in the big 12?"

"good question! haven't thought about that"

"has gene taylor?"

"probably not, but he only hired me because i came cheap."

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #94 on: December 08, 2018, 11:42:36 AM »
Oh yeah. I'm just saying he has to look around no matter how much he loves CK. He can still sell him as Saban, just say something like "we spoke to a ton of amazing candidates but they just didn't compare to CK". IMO that looks better for Gene than just trotting him out there the day after Bill has his weird personal band concert.

yup, honestly these AD's are all so stupid. if i were an AD, i would be posting on forums like this all the time, i'd have my own blog with brief daily updates, and i'd demand that my top coaches - football and men's basketball - interact with fans on a weekly basis. i'd increase media availability, i'd open portions of practices to the fanbase, and i'd tape my email address and number to every bathroom stall on campus.

i don't know when or why, but at some point along the way athletic departments turned into mini versions of the pentagon; where everything is such a big fuckin secret. at the end of the day, this is sports. sports are supposed to be fun. you enhance the experience of your fanbase and paying customers by making them feel like they are a part of the team; not by walling them off and cutting their access to coaches, players and info.

so many good, qualified, decent coaches get fired on a yearly basis because fans look at a poor win-loss record, assume incompetence, and then demand the coach be run out of town. why do they do this? because they have no other way to evaluate!

but if the coach had a chance to prove his competence, to show you the growth/development that takes place behind closed doors, to share true meaningful insights beyond "we're takin things one day at a time," then i think you would see more coaches last longer than 3.5 years - which is the current norm in sports today.

gene is allowing forums like this one and KSO to control his messaging, and almost all of it is negative. how could it not be? we have nothing else to go off but what we see, and what we see is a whole bunch of meh.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #95 on: December 08, 2018, 11:51:33 AM »
missed this earlier.

4th and 5 from 37 ... and punt.  :Yuck:

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 08, 2018, 11:58:38 AM »
i don't know when or why, but at some point along the way athletic departments turned into mini versions of the pentagon; where everything is such a big fuckin secret. at the end of the day, this is sports. sports are supposed to be fun. you enhance the experience of your fanbase and paying customers by making them feel like they are a part of the team; not by walling them off and cutting their access to coaches, players and info.

Absolutely.

K-State basketball sort of proved that last year way before the tournament run. KSO put out the regular Coffee with Chris thing and many fans (including myself) softened considerably to oscar and the program. Then the winning at the end, and now a lot of us love our good ole goofy oscar. Plus, oscar goes on the Boscoe's Boys podcast this fall and other stuff. Coaches, this isn't hard.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: December 08, 2018, 12:06:14 PM »

Absolutely.

K-State basketball sort of proved that last year way before the tournament run. KSO put out the regular Coffee with Chris thing and many fans (including myself) softened considerably to oscar and the program. Then the winning at the end, and now a lot of us love our good ole goofy oscar. Plus, oscar goes on the Boscoe's Boys podcast this fall and other stuff. Coaches, this isn't hard.

I am not familiar with any of those oscar-outreach-moments that you cited, as my hatred for him has prevented me from reading anything about him or K-State basketball anymore.  However, you have piqued my interest....and as a result, probably proved your point about the opportunities that coaches and AD's have to "win hearts and minds."  It's the Christmas season after all...perhaps I should think about this more....

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: December 08, 2018, 12:43:51 PM »

gene is allowing forums like this one and KSO to control his messaging, and almost all of it is negative. how could it not be? we have nothing else to go off but what we see, and what we see is a whole bunch of meh.

Very true. Everyone is like, “this coaching search is such a dumpster fire” when it’s really just the rumors/speculation/message boarding that is disorganized and all over the place. As for the actual search, who knows, but the odds are it’s actually much more organized than people think.

Now I think it would be a bad idea to have a lot of fan interaction during the search because (1) any current coaches don’t want publicized that they’re looking to leave, and (2) it hurts your negotiating position. But no matter who we end up with I’d be a lot happier if Gene takes the podium and gives a detailed explanation of the search and decision making process.

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: December 08, 2018, 12:50:49 PM »

The citations I've flown in have all been incredibly nice.

I too can attest that Cessnas are decent aircraft (better than Beachcraft IMO), but it’s the 5+ hour flights back from Tulsa to KC because of unrelenting headwinds.
KU made the better hire....Miles is a sure fire grantee