Author Topic: Thread for the not really all that sentimental  (Read 5326 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Thread for the not really all that sentimental
« on: December 03, 2018, 08:34:47 AM »
We've done this before. The first time around, I watched some DVD and felt a little nostalgic. A tear came to my eye.

Now, I'm probably more relieved than anything. He probably stayed too long.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: Thread for the not really all that sentimental
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2018, 08:54:31 AM »
No question about it, he absolutely stayed too long. Bill did tons of great things. He also did tons of other shitty things like withholding bowl rings.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2018, 09:52:54 AM »
His clock management in important games was Andy Reid lol bad.  I'll never forget how bad the ending of the '96 Cotton Bowl was with the whole crowd screaming call a time out and we don't and Kavanaugh throws that INT in the endzone cuz hurry up.  BTW eff BYU.

Offline purplehaze

• Combo-Fan
  • #RP4POTUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2018, 10:00:27 AM »
Whew I'm relieved other fans are also not sad about this. To me it's more sad that he has no life outside of football and wanted to keep coaching moreso bc he doesn't know how to live apart from it. I hope he finds contentment in retirement.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2018, 10:04:45 AM »
Whew I'm relieved other fans are also not sad about this. To me it's more sad that he has no life outside of football and wanted to keep coaching moreso bc he doesn't know how to live apart from it. I hope he finds contentment in retirement.

He can internally play math games to pass the time in his special ambassador role, i.e. I'm getting paid $1.25m/year for this, so how much am I getting paid for each nut I eat at this nutPAK?

Offline grainer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2018, 10:05:11 AM »
^^^ This. I remember pre-Bill well, so I’m glad we got past that. But I was always flummoxed by the overall poor post season performance of his teams - yeah, we got some bowls, finally, but messed a lot of those games up.
Also, I read he’s going to continue to have an “advisory” role in the ath dept, so he’ll still be around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2018, 10:50:12 AM »
his advisory role won't help the university in its coaching search, thanks bill

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2018, 11:07:51 AM »
His overt nepotism this time around definitely rubbed me the wrong way, too.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2018, 11:20:19 AM »
Not sure whether to put his pregame playlist that never changed in this thread or the sentimental thread.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2018, 11:40:37 AM »
Not sure whether to put his pregame playlist that never changed in this thread or the sentimental thread.

as with most of his quirky stuff, it depends on how good the team is.

when we were good - tradition! gets me excited for game day.

when we were bad - this program is stale and out of touch with players/recruits

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2018, 11:56:25 AM »
He had a legitimate opportunity to leave us set up for success and he chose to instead use it as platform to lobby for his son to get the job. That taints his legacy for me.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2018, 12:19:42 PM »
No real legacy tainting or anything for me.  It was time, I'm happy he's gone.  I'm not more sentimental just because he retired.  Him retiring 3 years ago, yesterday, or 3 years from now doesn't make those good times any closer or farther away from today.

The timing of his retiring has nothing to do with those good times being in the past, reminding me that that they're over or reminding me that they happened.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 12:24:16 PM by TheHamburglar »
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 12:50:31 PM »
The two threads certainly aren't mutually exclusive. We was just a regular ass football coach when it came to the treatment of his players. Two very public cases, Ell and Corey Sutton, we're borderline criminal. I can't even begin to imagine some of the foul crap that happened they didn't see the light of day.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 01:11:05 PM »
My only regret with how this all went down is that we didn't have the satisfaction of seeing his ass CANNED.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2018, 01:24:53 PM »
My only regret with how this all went down is that we didn't have the satisfaction of seeing his ass CANNED.

well, I think we did...

Offline Stupid Fitz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Go Cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2018, 02:08:36 PM »
I wish he would just leave now. Thanks for everything Bill, but rough ridin' beat it.

Your Pal,

SF

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2018, 02:10:57 PM »
Fwiw, him sticking around a couple years too long drove off Currie and made his son a completely unviable candidate.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 03, 2018, 02:11:43 PM »
Fwiw, him sticking around a couple years too long drove off Currie and made his son a completely unviable candidate.

lol no

Offline grainer

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 03, 2018, 02:37:58 PM »
I wish he would have left on an upbeat so that I COULD have had a reason to feel sentimental.  As it is, I just think he became like any other old phuck...losing his filter and finer points of cognition, in favor of supreme entitlement. All signs of ego-centrism that has been, in no small part, enabled by all the KSU’ers that could find no fault with him, EVER.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Andy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 03, 2018, 04:04:45 PM »

lol no

Fair to laugh but if bill steps down after 2012 he maybe gets away with handing it to sean.  And if he does it 2 yrs ago after the cancer and Currie hires leavitt then good chance Currie is still here.

Anyway, whatever.  It's over now, and after enduring these last couple of years I couldn't be happier.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2018, 07:05:48 PM »

lol no

Fair to laugh but if bill steps down after 2012 he maybe gets away with handing it to sean.  And if he does it 2 yrs ago after the cancer and Currie hires leavitt then good chance Currie is still here.

Anyway, whatever.  It's over now, and after enduring these last couple of years I couldn't be happier.

This is exactly what I said to Dlewy a week ago. If his end game was to make sure Sean was HC he should have just retired when we didn't have an AD and almost assuredly Sean would have got the "interim" job for the 2017 season. That would have been his pilot for the full time gig.

But, poor clock management dooms Bill again.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2018, 07:18:59 PM »
So Carl Ice basically was going to hand Venzy blank checks this year but would have let Sean Snyder take over the program in 2017? 

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2018, 07:59:49 PM »
He beat my team a lot. It sucked a lot.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2018, 08:10:09 PM »
Canadian guy I know, and his pals (all really active bbs posters) were contacted during early 2.0 via an intermediary about scheme involving red and blue paint, and some stairs....allegedly on the behest of a HOF coach.  Anyway, Canadian guy and his pals were a little too old for those sorts of shenanigans, even at that time, and passed, but had some suggestions on some younger Canadians. Those younger Canadian bbs’ers were not too young, and accepted the challenge.  Those younger Candians grew up to be fine older Canadians and continue to make us all proud to this day. 

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2018, 08:14:34 PM »
So Carl Ice basically was going to hand Venzy blank checks this year but would have let Sean Snyder take over the program in 2017?

Maybe. Maybe not. But if that was the hand he wanted to play, late in the 2016 offseason would have been the time to do it.