Author Topic: Final 4 Kansas State BB. Not so stupid.  (Read 3615 times)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Final 4 Kansas State BB. Not so stupid.
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:34:16 PM »
CBS believes that we are 1 of 16 teams that can make the final 4.
"
The democratic approach and feel of college basketball's postseason competition is a major selling point of the sport.

2018-19 PREVIEW
Ranking every team, from No. 1 to 353
The 100 (and one) best players
Ranking the 15 best point guards
March is synonymous in sports with only one thing: college hoops. That's a benefit and a burden, but it ultimately reminds us that any school with Division I alliance is in competition for the college basketball's ultimate prize. We get to see this in tangible form through high-stakes league tournaments that beget one of the most beautiful sights in the world: an NCAA Tournament bracket. An arrangement that can include Duke, Kansas and Kentucky in the same vat of frenzy as Tennessee Tech, Murray State, Lehigh and UC Davis.

Whereas college football, which is obviously fantastic in its own ways, has formal, informal and plutocratic ways of limiting its national playoff and championship to a select sect of programs, college basketball at least allows teams for the hopes of getting in and then becoming Loyola-Chicago, Butler, George Mason, Wichita State or VCU. There is no school getting wrongly suppressed the way UCF football was last year ... and, though still undefeated as of now, could again this season.

The reality is, college basketball's mid-majors (and UNLV under Tark does not count) haven't won national titles because it's excruciatingly hard to do so. Schools in power conferences have more resources, coaching advantages and recruiting assets to withstand four months of play -- and then go on to beat five or six good-to-great opponents when it matters most.

Every year college basketball has more national title contenders than college football, but the cache of teams is seldom larger than 20. In 2016 I identified 19 candidates. Last year it was 16 -- as is the number for the season ahead. And not all championship hopefuls can be grouped together.

But I do guarantee to you that one of these 16 will wind up at the end of "One Shining Moment" on the night of April 8,

Kansas
Breakdown: With KU's annual ownership of the Big 12 (if you've lost count, it's going for 15 straight regular season titles, which shouldn't be possible in the material world), it gets tough to sort one really, really good Jayhawks team from another really, really good Jayhawks team as the years go on. But this one truly could be a top-five Kansas crew under Bill Self. Even with the college basketball corruption trial becoming an appendage to the Kansas story of 2018-19 (Silvio De Sousa is indefinitely on leave because of what was uncovered in federal court), the Jayhawks have a stock of veteran talent up front and promising freshmen in the backcourt. Dedric Lawson, who came by way of Memphis, will join forces with Udoka Azubuike to make up what might be the most intimidating 1-2 big man combo in college basketball. Flashy guard Quentin Grimes is likely one-and-done, while Lagerald Vick is back for his senior season. This should be a better team on defense than the one from last season ... which made the Final Four.

Stat to know: The Jayhawks have 10 guaranteed or potential matchups during the regular season against teams that are reasonably projected to finish first or second in their conference: Michigan State, Vermont, Louisiana, Tennessee, Marquette, Wofford, New Mexico State, Villanova, South Dakota and Kentucky. And this doesn't

Kansas State
Breakdown: Claws, Xavier Sneed and The Flush Jr. all come back from an Elite Eight team that got devastated by 16 points to Loyola-Chicago. But since there are seven teams with at least three players on our top 100 (and one) list of the best players in college basketball, and K-State is one of them, they have to be put in this company. After all, the other six are: Kansas, Kentucky, Gonzaga, Nevada, Virginia, Duke. Of those six, Kansas State should be better on defense than Duke, Nevada and maybe Gonzaga and Kentucky. It might be hard to reconcile K-State as a contender for the natty, but this the dark horse category. By its nature it's hard to envision. Still, there's enough on that roster to make this team a threat to win four, five or six games in March and April. Very much will be about the matchups with these Wildcats.

Stat to know: Between Wade, Brown and Sneed, Kansas State returns 43 points, 14 rebounds, seven assists and nearly five steals per game."

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 09:45:00 PM by renocat »

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
Final 4 Kansas State BB. Not so stupid.
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 09:41:28 PM »
If anyone else posted this, literally anyone, I would have read it. Since renocat did, DID NOT READ!
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: Final 4 Kansas State BB. Not so stupid.
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2018, 09:58:28 PM »
Of those six, Kansas State should be better on defense than Duke, Nevada and maybe Gonzaga and Kentucky.

lol

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2018, 09:58:51 PM »
Also who's the third player on the top 100 list???

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 10:12:54 PM »
If anyone else posted this, literally anyone, I would have read it. Since renocat did, DID NOT READ!
You and others are now jumping on the bandwagon cause you it's now a big deal.  All summer crickets.  There are basketball lovers on this board.  KU fans are rabid.  Keeping their chat going all year.  Last night the arena was basically empty except for students and the purple peons on the north end.   I often wonder does our fan base deserve a successful team.  This article should swell us we pride.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2018, 10:14:36 PM »
You and others are now jumping on the bandwagon cause you it's now a big deal.  All summer crickets.  There are basketball lovers on this board.  KU fans are rabid.  Keeping their chat going all year.  Last night the arena was basically empty except for students and the purple peons on the north end.   I often wonder does our fan base deserve a successful team.  This article should swell us we pride.

DID NOT READ
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2018, 10:39:06 PM »
Sneed. Posted this 3 weeks ago. Writers are on his nuts after the tourney

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2018, 11:33:01 PM »
Sneed. Posted this 3 weeks ago. Writers are on his nuts after the tourney
That seems like a stretch

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2018, 11:35:18 PM »
Yeah I think he’s rated as a borderline 2nd :ound pick or something
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2018, 12:36:47 AM »
Yeah, he’s a projected 2nd rounder if he leaves early this year. Scouts go crazy over tourney appearances. Wade isn’t listed to get drafted to if that means anything to you. Brown listed as an early 2nd round draft pick.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2018, 06:08:55 AM »
bandwagon oscar haters can gtfo

Offline EMAWzifried

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2018, 11:02:48 AM »
I would like to think X can take the step up his junior year that Brown and Eade did last year. If he can hit high 30 percent of 3s, he iss a top 100

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2018, 11:18:52 AM »
Yeah, he’s a projected 2nd rounder if he leaves early this year. Scouts go crazy over tourney appearances elite athleticism. Wade isn’t listed to get drafted to if that means anything to you. Brown listed as an early 2nd round draft pick.
FTFY
:adios:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2018, 11:21:10 AM »
Yes! Ty!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2018, 11:32:09 AM »
Someone could look this up, but I wouldn't guess that the intersection of first round picks and Final Four players is huge.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2018, 12:06:57 PM »
Someone could look this up, but I wouldn't guess that the intersection of first round picks and Final Four players is huge.

13 % last year , we can close this ticket.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2018, 09:24:50 AM »
There are plenty of reasons to like this Cats team. The fact that they won 2-3 consecutive games against good teams at the end of March is one of them, but not the highest. Factoring in that Wade didn’t play in those games bumps it up quite a bit though.

One thing is for sure: the margin for error to even get into the tournament is going to be slim after another super crappy non-con.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2018, 07:33:22 PM »
There are plenty of reasons to like this Cats team. The fact that they won 2-3 consecutive games against good teams at the end of March is one of them, but not the highest. Factoring in that Wade didn’t play in those games bumps it up quite a bit though.

One thing is for sure: the margin for error to even get into the tournament is going to be slim after another super crappy non-con.
I trust I am misreading this and you are not complaining about this years non con.  This is a very good and competitive non con that will get us prepared for the Big 12. 

At Marquette,  29KPI
At Texas A&M  47  KPI
Vanderbilt in KC  68 kpi
MU in tournament action.  67 KPI
Georgia State (tournament team)  81 kpi
At Tulsa  114 KPI
George Mason  115 kpi
Southern Miss  166 kpi

Eastern Kentucky at 268, Kennesaw State at 328 and Denver at 219 are the only sure wins I see. 

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2018, 07:54:45 AM »
I’ll grant it’s not as embarrassing as last year’s, but outside of a few recognizable teams I’m still not excited about it. We will see how it turns out, I guess. I don’t put much stock in KPI at this point in the season.

Offline cat97

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2018, 04:47:59 PM »
I’ll grant it’s not as embarrassing as last year’s, but outside of a few recognizable teams I’m still not excited about it. We will see how it turns out, I guess. I don’t put much stock in KPI at this point in the season.
I don't disagree with you about KPI and we will have to see how it turns out. 

For example, Vanderbilts recruiting class has three players.  Two 5 stars and a 4 star.  We should be able to handle them due to experience but won't be a gimme. 

Online BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2018, 11:47:13 PM »
Can you imagine working as hard as KU does toward building your b-ball brand and this other team in KS comes along like, “sure that sounds fun we’ll try that too” and keeps getting in the same covo for a ‘ship?