Author Topic: WELCOME BRET  (Read 9151 times)

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: WELCOME BRET
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 12:30:54 PM »
[
I will also use this time to bitch about the server speed because I might not be able to get another post in until midnight.   Is this what it was like when you had to dial up?  I'm trying for 1700 posts here people.
This is what happens when more than 10 people a day try to post in this shithole

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:58 PM »
I 100% agree that he is an absolutely perfect candidate. As I've said before, he both is and is not a Snyder guy.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 10:34:33 PM »
We have a very good track record with coaches who were fired from historically better programs. Bert is most definitely a KSU guy.

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2018, 10:46:40 PM »
Bret is a rough ridin’ heart attack/DUI/sex scandal away from having his OC take over 3 years into his contract. 
KU made the better hire....Miles is a sure fire grantee

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2018, 11:39:15 PM »
Bret is a rough ridin’ heart attack/DUI/sex scandal away from having his OC take over 3 years into his contract.
We're the school that hired Bob Huggins.   We resurrected his career and he saved KSU basketball.   Furthermore,  he's coaching dlinemen at New England.   You don't get that opportunity with Belichick if you don't have your act together.
Aside from being only the 2nd sleaziest dirtball to ever roam the sidelines in MHK under former LHCBS [Mangino?] Bret has got to be the most memorable.  He was known to pork court a few scutterheads around campus in his time here (just ask Lefty), but there was also that time he got a DUI here and cried about it to the team begging for their forgiveness.  Arkansas and Wiscy fans will be quick to tell you not much has changed.

Offline IPA4Me

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • El Guapo
    • View Profile
    • Life Advice
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 06:10:13 AM »
It would be one heck of a party.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 08, 2018, 07:46:43 AM »
I like him more now
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 08, 2018, 08:15:59 AM »
I like this Oyster_Trousers guy
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2018, 08:19:30 AM »
Bret’s extracurricular’s don’t even register.  He isn’t a very good football coach.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2018, 08:46:02 AM »
I like this Oyster_Trousers guy

Seems like a total douche to me Ben
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 08, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
 I would take Bret in a heartbeat irl
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 08, 2018, 09:04:06 AM »
Bret’s extracurricular’s don’t even register.  He isn’t a very good football coach.
Agreed,  the big 10 voted him coach of the year because he isn't a very good football coach.  Career .626 win pct.  12 year career: 2 losing seasons,  9 seasons of ranked teams. 

His last 5 years of coaching a P5 team look like this:

Arkansas:   29–34   11–29

That’s a hard pass

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 08, 2018, 09:09:44 AM »
Hard pass for sure.  He appears to have been on a very self destructive path for some years now.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2018, 09:26:53 AM »
You can rationalize it however you want, including dropping Nichols State from the 2nd year schedule and making it look like they played Texas in the regular season, but he still sucks sorry.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #39 on: December 08, 2018, 09:48:52 AM »
not only would beilema be the most risk averse hire of any non-babers candidate i've seen mentioned, he also carries the most upside.

as noted in the re-paste in two posts above this, i view his arkansas tenure as a positive, not a negative. his style of football will maximize k-state's chances of winning in the big 12, he specializes in defense which i think is a plus, he won at a level at wiscy that exceeds program maintainer - he actually took them to greater heights than alvarez did in the six years leading up to his hire - and he stood toe to toe with SEC powerhouses in his second year at a loser arkansas program.

beilema entered the SEC at its absolute peak, particularly the SEC west, where they had roughly five top-10 programs at the time of his arrival; and roughly seven or eight top-20 level teams overall. it would have been tough for urban meyer to turn that around, let alone beilema. don't get me wrong, urban would have turned the corner in due time. but it wouldn't be overnight. that was a hard, hard, hard situation to walk into.

again, i want to point out that in beilema's 2nd year at arkansas, he went up against what undoubtedly is the hardest schedule in the history of college football. they could play football another 100 years, and you won't see a team play a more challenging schedule. and beilema took that 2nd-year team, which was total crap the year prior, and finished 7-6 with a bowl win over texas. he beat ole miss 30-0 as a 3-pt underdog. he went 10-3 against the spread. it was a great coaching job, and arkansas was a top-15 level team. a year later, beilema went 8-5, had a top-20 level team, and also covered the spread in 8 of 13 games. he won three times as an underdog - all on the road, at lsu, at tennessee, at ole miss. he lost to bama by 13 (but covered the spread), he lost to a&m in OT (but covered the spread).

beilema can flat out coach.

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 08, 2018, 10:02:34 AM »
Idk I think the .626 win % coupled with a big 10 COY (and a handful of mediocre seasons where his teams quit buying in) is very gross and Snyderesque.  I thought we were trying to get away from that.

Offline j rake

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
    • @j_rake
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2018, 10:12:42 AM »
Idk I think the .626 win % coupled with a big 10 COY (and a handful of mediocre seasons where his teams quit buying in) is very gross and Snyderesque.  I thought we were trying to get away from that.

k-state tried to get away from that. that's why they targeted the loser north texas coach. he said no, so here you are.

semi consistent 7-5 or 8-4 seasons with the occasional chance at something big when everything lines up every five years is the best that k-state is going to do until further notice. there is nothing in k-state's history, nothing in its recruiting rankings, nothing in its current program status, nothing in its budget, nothing in the level of coach it can possibly hire, to suggest otherwise at this moment in time.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 08, 2018, 10:19:47 AM »

semi consistent 7-5 or 8-4 seasons with the occasional chance at something big when everything lines up every five years is the best that k-state is going to do until further notice. there is nothing in k-state's history, nothing in its recruiting rankings, nothing in its current program status, nothing in its budget, nothing in the level of coach it can possibly hire, to suggest otherwise at this moment in time.

Honestly this is what makes Corey Kleinmon so intriguing. Sure he's likely to go down in flames but there's a shot that he could be really amazing. Six losses in five years is insane!

I realize they are like the FCS version of Bama but still his record is pretty crazy!

Just do something different than what every single peer of KSU would do

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 08, 2018, 10:21:18 AM »
I feel like the arguments against Bret are basically the same as what the arguments against oscar were at the time. Which is lovely given that oscar has a top 20 ranked team coming off an Elite Eight year.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 08, 2018, 10:30:19 AM »
Bielema, Venables and the Pirate would have to tell me a strong no before I considered a mid major candidate.   I will agree that Brets desire should be questioned in the vetting process.   LHC Bill Snyder,  Barry Alvarez and Bill Belichick are pretty good evaluators of coaching talent and all 3 saw something special in Bielema. He seems happy with the Patriots and looks better than his last year at Arky.
Chum it's happening!!!

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: December 08, 2018, 11:05:19 AM »
Not being considered because he drinks a lot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 08, 2018, 11:15:04 AM »
god damnit that rough rider recruited top 30 classes every single year to Arkansas.  He looks like an obese Rob Riggle though. I guess I’ve let my bias towards his total disregard for his own well being cloud my ability to judge him as a high level recruiter and football coach. 

Offline Oyster_Trousers

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 08, 2018, 11:34:09 AM »
Interesting fact my wife use to babysit Rob Riggle’s kids when they still lived in OP.

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 10, 2018, 08:03:12 AM »
I feel like the arguments against Bret are basically the same as what the arguments against oscar were at the time. Which is lovely given that oscar has had a top 20 ranked team coming off an Elite Eight year.