Author Topic: oscar still sucks  (Read 23591 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: oscar still sucks
« Reply #75 on: March 24, 2018, 09:01:26 PM »
I think it’s totally fair to put an asterisk on that season, but the fact is Frank never got his players to that point and Weber did.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 24, 2018, 09:02:09 PM »
I think it’s totally fair to put an asterisk on that season, but the fact is Frank never got his players to that point and Weber did.

I mean weber never got his players to that point either

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 24, 2018, 09:06:10 PM »
There's a higher value placed on tournament success than what needs to be, absolutely. The entire sport is structured around winning in March though, it's literally the point of all of this. If you want to play it your way, it definitely seems you're not placing the proper weight on the conference championship season.

clearly, he gets no credit for that because he didn't recruit a single contributor to that team.

Frank wasn't going to get what was needed from any of the key pieces, outside of perhaps Angel and JO, to win a conference championship. He recruited that team but it wasn't his team.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 24, 2018, 09:07:55 PM »
Thus the asterisk. My point is that if you put yourself in mean Gene’s shoes today, where exactly is the evidence that you could get a coach who would give you better results than Weber has the last 5 years?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 24, 2018, 09:09:45 PM »
There's a higher value placed on tournament success than what needs to be, absolutely. The entire sport is structured around winning in March though, it's literally the point of all of this. If you want to play it your way, it definitely seems you're not placing the proper weight on the conference championship season.

clearly, he gets no credit for that because he didn't recruit a single contributor to that team.

Frank wasn't going to get what was needed from any of the key pieces, outside of perhaps Angel and JO, to win a conference championship. He recruited that team but it wasn't his team.

Perhaps. At the same time, oscar wasn't going to recruit that team on his own, either.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 24, 2018, 09:11:11 PM »
Agreed

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 24, 2018, 09:11:28 PM »
Thus the asterisk. My point is that if you put yourself in mean Gene’s shoes today, where exactly is the evidence that you could get a coach who would give you better results than Weber has the last 5 years?

It's easy to think Frank's five years were better than oscar's six overall. Like, not hard at all.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: March 24, 2018, 09:12:08 PM »
My point is that if you put yourself in mean Gene’s shoes today, where exactly is the evidence that you could get a coach who would give you better results than Weber has the last 5 years?

Found it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/defiant-and-wounded-rick-pitino-insists-he-did-nothing-wrong--and-wants-back-in/2018/03/21/681d3616-2c6d-11e8-8688-e053ba58f1e4_story.html

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 24, 2018, 09:14:56 PM »
My point is that if you put yourself in mean Gene’s shoes today, where exactly is the evidence that you could get a coach who would give you better results than Weber has the last 5 years?

Found it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/defiant-and-wounded-rick-pitino-insists-he-did-nothing-wrong--and-wants-back-in/2018/03/21/681d3616-2c6d-11e8-8688-e053ba58f1e4_story.html

In.  Where do I send my kids’ college money?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 24, 2018, 09:15:16 PM »

Found it.

lol. He won't get hired, not because he got into trouble with the NCAA, but because there's no chance he's going to be able to get a top 150 ever again.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: March 24, 2018, 09:18:08 PM »
It took a lot of courage and compassion to keep Wade on the bench.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 24, 2018, 09:21:38 PM »
It took a lot of courage and compassion to keep Wade on the bench.

Jesus Christ

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 24, 2018, 09:25:33 PM »
most coaches would have taken a cattle prod to him, but not weber.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 24, 2018, 09:47:45 PM »
Didn't look ready to play.
Conditioning and mental toughness always an issue with oscar. No energy outside of one run in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 24, 2018, 09:49:31 PM »
Didn't look ready to play.
Conditioning and mental toughness always an issue with oscar. No energy outside of one run in the second half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hahahahahahaha, this guy.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 24, 2018, 09:56:24 PM »
Frank also earned a 2 seed and didn't luck into a joke of a run
Frank didn't realize he wasn't running an offense until Bobby Knight called him out on national tv.  Luckily, Brad Underwood had one and installed it mid season.  I thought Frank was great at some things and suffered elsewhere.  Coach W is a stronger tactician, weaker recruiter.

Hopefully, the exposure will open some recruiting doors.  Not many coaches would trust the word of a player regarding an injury vs a final 4.  Says a lot about Webers integrity.
Are you insinuating that oscar's wait until 12 on the clock then set a half assed pick and roll is some sort of enlightened offensive set?
:adios:

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 24, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »

It's easy to think Frank's five years were better than oscar's six overall. Like, not hard at all.

Frank ain’t walking back through that door, and if Pitino really is clean he’d jump ship by year 2-3.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #92 on: March 24, 2018, 10:00:04 PM »
25-12 (10-8) with an Elite 8 appearance is better than all but one of Frank's seasons.

the only way you can say that is if you value tournament success over all other variables.  which is fine if you do, but you may as well just say it.

I have long been on record that tournament runs are poor ways to evaluate a coach's performance. How you performance in conference shows how well you're doing.

That isn't to say tourney runs aren't fun, but consistent high conference finishes ultimately lead to more fun tourney runs.

We should switch conferences, or at least invite nu and cu back.  Like cutting poverty by redefining what poverty means.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 24, 2018, 10:11:08 PM »
25-12 (10-8) with adn Elite 8 appearance is better than all but one of Frank's seasons. what are we even doing if we can't say this was a good season

This.

Even with 23 wins and a loss to Virginia, it's the 2nd best season IMO since the New Era began.

The 2011 Big12 conference was shitty as a whole compared to this season. Don't judge it solely on a 5 seed we were given. Only  4 of our 16 games in Big 12 were vs Tourney teams. We were not a top 20 team. We lost to 5th place CU all 3 times. 

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 24, 2018, 10:13:36 PM »
I can't believe how quickly people forget how dysfunctional Frank's teams were at times. We literally installed the pin wheel offense one year.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 24, 2018, 10:19:30 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 24, 2018, 10:22:27 PM »
The 2011 Big12 conference was shitty as a whole compared to this season. Don't judge it solely on a 5 seed we were given. Only  4 of our 16 games in Big 12 were vs Tourney teams. We were not a top 20 team. We lost to 5th place CU all 3 times. 

that team finished #32 in KenPom, this team finished #42. FWIW

also check your stats

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 24, 2018, 10:31:44 PM »

that team finished #32 in KenPom, this team finished #42. FWIW

also check your stats

Great. KenPom had that team higer.  Is that your 100% reasoning why it's better.

That's like , Joe Smith, exclusively saying this was better than 2011 because Elite 8 vs Rd of 32

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 24, 2018, 10:32:45 PM »
FSD how come the 71-72 cats elite eight team won 13% more games than the 17-18 cats and still fell 2 short of the elusive 25 win mark?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 24, 2018, 10:34:10 PM »
FSD how come the 71-72 cats elite eight team won 13% more games than the 17-18 cats and still fell 2 short of the elusive 25 win mark?

lack of effort.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."