Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 535068 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #5225 on: February 14, 2020, 10:30:39 AM »
Are you calling them key just because they’re the ones most Republicans agree with?

I’ve had a very hard time determining what Trump prioritizes policy wise.

build the wall
give tax breaks to the rich
repeal obamacare
own the libs

he maybe shifted the order of priority around but republicans were not veering too far from those way back in the 2016 primaries. It's why Rubio and Jeb were trying to throw insults back at Trump instead of critiquing his policies. Because they didn't disagree with any of his policies.

https://www.npr.org/2018/01/25/580222116/the-gops-evolution-on-immigration

Part of the proposed solution was to speak compassionately about the issue of immigration. Here's how former George W. Bush adviser Karen Hughes put it in an opinion piece published by Politico:

"The immigration rhetoric that came out of the Republican primary seemed harsh, unwelcoming and offputting to many minority voters. Obama increased his share of the Hispanic vote and won it 69 percent to 29 percent (per The New York Times exit poll); likewise he built a huge margin among Asian voters, 74-25, almost doubling the margin of his support compared to 2008. Both of those constituencies are hardworking, upwardly mobile, family-oriented, and should be open to Republican appeals if we don't make them feel unwelcome."

yeah also

But Mark Krikorian, an advocate for less immigration at the Washington, D.C., think tank Center for Immigration Studies, has a his own theory. He doesn't think attitudes toward immigration have changed much at all among Republican voters. He thinks it's a case of past leaders simply being out of touch with where the party rank and file were on the issue.

"Ordinary Republican voters were just much more hawkish on immigration than Republican politicians and advisers and fixers and donors and the whole political class," Krikorian said.

Conservative voters were strong enough to prevent passage of immigration legislation pushed by President George W. Bush, whose support among Hispanics reached 40 percent in the 2004 election, a high for the GOP.

Trump didn't significantly change views of the party (it was already happening), he just brought it to the front and put into an easy-to-digest format

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: February 14, 2020, 10:39:13 AM »
Trump has $200 million plus in the war chest now.  If Bernie gets nominated the money will come pouring in from everywhere. 

If you want Trump gone you sure AF don’t want Bernie.  FFS #facepalm

Clinton outspent Trump 5:1

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: February 14, 2020, 10:48:17 AM »
Trump has $200 million plus in the war chest now.  If Bernie gets nominated the money will come pouring in from everywhere. 

If you want Trump gone you sure AF don’t want Bernie.  FFS #facepalm

Clinton outspent Trump 5:1

It's a different dynamic now.   Clinton lost because her campaign thought they had it in the bag. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5228 on: February 14, 2020, 10:50:45 AM »
I thought they lost because the libs were too mean?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: February 14, 2020, 10:54:18 AM »
when you have the two shittiest candidates of all time face off there can be only one loser, unfortunately

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: February 14, 2020, 10:57:24 AM »
when you have the two shittiest candidates of all time face off there can be only one loser, unfortunately

LMAO y’all thought i meant Clinton :lol: fohhh!

(it was us, the United States citizens who were the losers  :blank:)

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: February 14, 2020, 11:03:19 AM »
Lib twitter is all sorts of mad about Bloomberg. Makes me think Bloomy may be alright. Which is something considering Bloomy’s work to date trying to convince me he isn’t. Quite the pickle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read that twitter string and are cool with that infiltrating our political system, I'm perfectly cool with you being on the dax side of the issue. That didn't even mention that he has one of the largest news media companies in the country and instructed them not to cover him critically.
I think it’s bad that it is a part of our political system, kind of like how I think that the Belicheck/Vrabel trick to do delay of game-false start-delay of game to milk more time off the clock is bad. It is bad, but within the rules, so if you have the means to do it and decide not to, you aren’t playing to win. 

I appreciate that Bloomberg is seemingly playing to win.

It's a really poor comparison. Vrabel is taking advantage of a loophole in the rules, that they have little to no power to change. Bloomberg, Trump, et al, are using their money to continue to keep a thumb on the scale to protect the status quo. If Bloomberg came out and said, "I'm doing this to ensure that another American can never ever buy an election again," then vowed his remaining billions to ending poverty, then I'd be all for this.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: February 14, 2020, 11:08:19 AM »
Lib twitter is all sorts of mad about Bloomberg. Makes me think Bloomy may be alright. Which is something considering Bloomy’s work to date trying to convince me he isn’t. Quite the pickle.

If you read that twitter string and are cool with that infiltrating our political system, I'm perfectly cool with you being on the dax side of the issue. That didn't even mention that he has one of the largest news media companies in the country and instructed them not to cover him critically.
I think it’s bad that it is a part of our political system, kind of like how I think that the Belicheck/Vrabel trick to do delay of game-false start-delay of game to milk more time off the clock is bad. It is bad, but within the rules, so if you have the means to do it and decide not to, you aren’t playing to win. 

It's a really poor comparison. Vrabel is taking advantage of a loophole in the rules, that they have little to no power to change. Bloomberg, Trump, et al, are using their money to continue to keep a thumb on the scale to protect the status quo. If Bloomberg came out and said, "I'm doing this to ensure that another American can never ever buy an election again," then vowed his remaining billions to ending poverty, then I'd be all for this.
I dunno, Bloomberg is doing something that is also essentially a loophole in the rules to increase his chance of winning. They should for sure change the rules, but moral victories don’t win elections
:adios:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: February 14, 2020, 11:12:27 AM »
The various elements of the status quo are always protected no matter who is president. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5234 on: February 14, 2020, 11:16:50 AM »
I promise I'm not being disingenuous here, but MIR, what is your ideal 1000 foot view of how campaigns should be financed.  Safe to assume capped donation from private individuals? 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: February 14, 2020, 11:40:19 AM »

I dunno, Bloomberg is doing something that is also essentially a loophole in the rules to increase his chance of winning. They should for sure change the rules, but moral victories don’t win elections

You think the Citizens United ruling is a loophole in the rules?

Online MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: February 14, 2020, 11:49:16 AM »
I promise I'm not being disingenuous here, but MIR, what is your ideal 1000 foot view of how campaigns should be financed.  Safe to assume capped donation from private individuals?

Contribution limits, spending limits, removal of the not-for-profit exemption, no super pacs. I'd be willing to flex on the no super pacs rule, but they would need to be heavily regulated.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5237 on: February 14, 2020, 11:57:31 AM »
Are you calling them key just because they’re the ones most Republicans agree with?

build the wall
repeal obamacare
own the libs

he maybe shifted the order of priority around but republicans were not veering too far from those way back in the 2016 primaries. It's why Rubio and Jeb were trying to throw insults back at Trump instead of critiquing his policies. Because they didn't disagree with any of his policies.

You are missing the two issues (closely related) that are key to Trump's appeal to many Republicans and a smaller subset of Independents.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: February 14, 2020, 12:01:00 PM »

Contribution limits, spending limits, removal of the not-for-profit exemption, no super pacs. I'd be willing to flex on the no super pacs rule, but they would need to be heavily regulated.
Seems reasonable. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: February 14, 2020, 12:09:54 PM »
Everyone should get the president they want.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: February 14, 2020, 12:38:50 PM »

Okay, so maybe we are talking past each other. Bloomberg is doing something that is fully within the rules, so it’s more like a coach deciding to utilize the forward pass to try to score points.
:adios:

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5241 on: February 14, 2020, 12:42:24 PM »

Okay, so maybe we are talking past each other. Bloomberg is doing something that is fully within the rules, so it’s more like a coach deciding to utilize the forward pass to try to score points.

I'm not saying I agree with MIR on this issue, but I think the situation is more like Vrabel bleeding the clock "within the rules," and then also being the chair of the rules committee and opposing changing the rule.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5242 on: February 14, 2020, 01:23:34 PM »

build the wall
repeal obamacare
own the libs

You are missing the two issues (closely related) that are key to Trump's appeal to many Republicans and a smaller subset of Independents.
Ok you can tell me what I missed I guess

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5243 on: February 14, 2020, 01:24:50 PM »
Pro life / conservative judges

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: February 14, 2020, 01:51:45 PM »
Yup, republicans will look the other way on literally any behavior as long as he keeps not rough ridin' up on those two things
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: February 14, 2020, 05:57:18 PM »

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: February 14, 2020, 06:00:38 PM »
I bet Bernie has shitloads of oneworld miles. He only flies American, because he loves this country.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5249 on: February 14, 2020, 06:16:39 PM »
Is that really Bernie?