Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 541532 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #5200 on: February 14, 2020, 12:29:58 AM »

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2020/02/aoc-bernie-sanders-campaign-iowa

Cross post?

Sounds like Team AOC was all ready to go Cancel Culture over Joe Rogan.

Things like this are what frustrates me about Bernie and how he's choosing to run his campaign in 2020. The Rogan stuff and getting pissed at AOC because she had the temerity to actually express Bernie's true feelings about ICE instead of soft-pedaling to not offend potential voters. If you're going to be a progressive then be one.

If there's one thing we can all agree on about Bernie it's that he's a half-hearted progressive.

That isn't my critique, I think his ambition to be president sometimes gets in the way of progressive ideals. To me, it gives pause about whether or not he will have the stomach to be a change agent or he will legislate to try to win or keep a legislative majority in 2022, then legislate to win re-election in 2024.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5201 on: February 14, 2020, 12:35:06 AM »
It would be incredibly stupid for the party to nominate someone who doesn't have the plurality of delegates.

It would literally destroy the party. I'd take four more years of trump's racist bullshit if it led to the destruction of the Democratic Party.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5202 on: February 14, 2020, 12:43:14 AM »
Lib twitter is all sorts of mad about Bloomberg. Makes me think Bloomy may be alright. Which is something considering Bloomy’s work to date trying to convince me he isn’t. Quite the pickle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you read that twitter string and are cool with that infiltrating our political system, I'm perfectly cool with you being on the dax side of the issue. That didn't even mention that he has one of the largest news media companies in the country and instructed them not to cover him critically.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5203 on: February 14, 2020, 04:49:46 AM »
Do they explain what "no one" means? Because literally no one representing the Democrats against Trump kinda seems unlikely

I think it means that no candidate has been determined by the start of the convention. Possibly because none have a majority of delegates or something like that. ???

yeah, that no one receives a majority of pledged delegates.  the model also gives the odds that each candidate receives a majority or plurality of pledged delegates.  sanders is at 53% for the latter at the moment.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5204 on: February 14, 2020, 05:47:55 AM »
Lib twitter is all sorts of mad about Bloomberg. Makes me think Bloomy may be alright. Which is something considering Bloomy’s work to date trying to convince me he isn’t. Quite the pickle.

If you read that twitter string and are cool with that infiltrating our political system, I'm perfectly cool with you being on the dax side of the issue. That didn't even mention that he has one of the largest news media companies in the country and instructed them not to cover him critically.

Uhhhh, no. That was the part where he was doing his best to convince me isn’t alright.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5205 on: February 14, 2020, 06:01:39 AM »
Yes Bloomberg is an awful person.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5207 on: February 14, 2020, 07:30:34 AM »

I think it’s bad that it is a part of our political system, kind of like how I think that the Belicheck/Vrabel trick to do delay of game-false start-delay of game to milk more time off the clock is bad. It is bad, but within the rules, so if you have the means to do it and decide not to, you aren’t playing to win. 

I appreciate that Bloomberg is seemingly playing to win.
:adios:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5208 on: February 14, 2020, 08:19:31 AM »

Uhhhh, no. That was the part where he was doing his best to convince me isn’t alright.

The left is also kind of mad at bloomy for the racist-y stuff fwiw

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5209 on: February 14, 2020, 08:34:35 AM »
Also him spending $1 billion on this election has me pretty uneasy.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5210 on: February 14, 2020, 08:47:40 AM »
It would be incredibly stupid for the party to nominate someone who doesn't have the plurality of delegates.

It would literally destroy the party. I'd take four more years of trump's racist bullshit if it led to the destruction of the Democratic Party.

I think that could definitely happen if he is re-elected.  Seems to me they have already accomplished a fair amount of irreparable damage to the party.
@mikec2w

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5211 on: February 14, 2020, 08:49:30 AM »
I thought Trump becoming the nominee would destroy the republican party. I guess it still might in the long run.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5212 on: February 14, 2020, 08:58:52 AM »
I thought Trump becoming the nominee would destroy the republican party. I guess it still might in the long run.

The Republican Party showed incredible adaptability. Most members were able to re-align their values and key policy positions to conform with their new leader. It’s officially the party of Trump now for an unfortunate majority of the party.

Will be interesting if the Dems can do the same if Bernie wins.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5213 on: February 14, 2020, 09:12:44 AM »

The Republican Party showed incredible adaptability. Most members were able to re-align their values and key policy positions to conform with their new leader. It’s officially the party of Trump now for an unfortunate majority of the party.

Yeah. Do you think they stay MAGA post-Trump or do they go back to pretending they aren't racist nationalists?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5214 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:27 AM »
Trump has $200 million plus in the war chest now.  If Bernie gets nominated the money will come pouring in from everywhere. 

If you want Trump gone you sure AF don’t want Bernie.  FFS #facepalm

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5215 on: February 14, 2020, 09:34:45 AM »
Also him spending $1 billion on this election has me pretty uneasy.

It would have been hilarious if he'd instead offered Trump that money in exchange for resigning.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5216 on: February 14, 2020, 09:35:25 AM »

Trump's key policy positions are pretty much indistinguishable from pre-trump mainline Republican positions which made it pretty easy for them. Dems will need to shift more with Bernie

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5217 on: February 14, 2020, 09:46:30 AM »
Are you calling them key just because they’re the ones most Republicans agree with?

I’ve had a very hard time determining what Trump prioritizes policy wise.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5218 on: February 14, 2020, 09:47:57 AM »
Are you calling them key just because they’re the ones most Republicans agree with?

I’ve had a very hard time determining what Trump prioritizes policy wise.

build the wall
give tax breaks to the rich
repeal obamacare
own the libs

he maybe shifted the order of priority around but republicans were not veering too far from those way back in the 2016 primaries. It's why Rubio and Jeb were trying to throw insults back at Trump instead of critiquing his policies. Because they didn't disagree with any of his policies.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5219 on: February 14, 2020, 09:53:40 AM »
Trump was the only republican candidate for president who wanted to build a wall in 2016.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5220 on: February 14, 2020, 09:55:48 AM »
Trump was the only republican candidate for president who wanted to build a wall in 2016.

perhaps literally, but did any disagree with the fundamentals?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5221 on: February 14, 2020, 09:57:08 AM »

perhaps literally, but did any disagree with the fundamentals?

Probably just Jeb.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5222 on: February 14, 2020, 10:04:15 AM »
When Republicans were fiscally conservative and did not want to take money away from the military I think they were generally anti-wall.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #5223 on: February 14, 2020, 10:06:09 AM »
LOL, he was they only one with the guts to admit it and vocalize what Republicans have been wanting for decades. 

Trump is the natural progression of Republican thought and policies.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5224 on: February 14, 2020, 10:09:52 AM »
They used to call it "border security." They're happy to replace that with "the wall." Or with "shooting trespassers on sight." The KEY thing is keeping outsiders out.