Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 545861 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #4900 on: February 04, 2020, 02:01:21 PM »
It seems dumb that anyone goes first. Just have everyone go on the same day like the general.

That's a fantastic way to centralize the power even more. The primaries season is literally the only bit of populism left in American politics. With a system like that the only presidents in our lifetime that would have still been elected are the Bush x2
Populism for Iowa and New Hampshire and SC maybe, but then Kansas and Indiana and Oregon either don't matter at all, or only get to choose from the 2 or 3 remaining candidates they had no say in narrowing down to.
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4901 on: February 04, 2020, 02:15:08 PM »
It seems dumb that anyone goes first. Just have everyone go on the same day like the general.

That's a fantastic way to centralize the power even more. The primaries season is literally the only bit of populism left in American politics. With a system like that the only presidents in our lifetime that would have still been elected are the Bush x2

I listened to the fivethirtyeight podcast series on our primary process in America and came away thinking that unless we go to a parliamentary strong party, multi-party system, our system is pretty much the best way to go about it with minor tweaks.

Having Super Tuesday be the whole thing would be a disaster and would take away basically all power from people to choose candidates.  With only two parties to choose from to begin with, we would make our system even less democratic (and it is already pretty un-democratic).

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4902 on: February 04, 2020, 02:31:04 PM »

I listened to the fivethirtyeight podcast series on our primary process in America and came away thinking that unless we go to a parliamentary strong party, multi-party system, our system is pretty much the best way to go about it with minor tweaks.

Having Super Tuesday be the whole thing would be a disaster and would take away basically all power from people to choose candidates.  With only two parties to choose from to begin with, we would make our system even less democratic (and it is already pretty un-democratic).
I just don't know how giving everyone the ability to vote at the same time on the same people results in "less-democratic".  It seems like the thing you remove is the ability to gain a bunch of momentum based on the 10% of Iowans who are willing to spend an evening caucusing.
:adios:

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4903 on: February 04, 2020, 02:31:55 PM »
Yeah, I think it's in the interest of everyone to have a long vetting process such as we have.

The caucus system is dumb though, but I don't really understand the purpose I guess.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4904 on: February 04, 2020, 02:37:36 PM »

I just don't know how giving everyone the ability to vote at the same time on the same people results in "less-democratic".  It seems like the thing you remove is the ability to gain a bunch of momentum based on the 10% of Iowans who are willing to spend an evening caucusing.

Because you would need an insane amount of money needed to run a national campaign would limit the field from the start, if you had a multi-candidate field you would have a much bigger chance of no decisive winner and having to essentially go back to the party deciding at the convention. It would be a disaster.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4905 on: February 04, 2020, 02:40:22 PM »
If there was a short 2-3 week election cycle where candidates did a series of debates and then a national election of registered Democrats to winnow the field, then a longer election cycle with some sort of hybrid system primaries that would possibly be better. But you can't have strong parties in a two-party system.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4906 on: February 04, 2020, 02:46:14 PM »
This is why I favor no money in politics and a reddit-like system where candidates can make their pitches directly.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4907 on: February 04, 2020, 03:08:03 PM »
President-electing for all of america shouldn’t happen for a lot of the same reasons there shouldn’t be a national champion system in major college sports.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4908 on: February 04, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
Huffington Post
Pete Buttigieg: When I Said ‘Victorious,’ I Actually Meant Something Else

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e398b3ac5b6ed0033ad033d?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

:ROFL: :lol: :ROFL: :lol:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4909 on: February 04, 2020, 04:06:43 PM »
Hard hitting stuff

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4910 on: February 04, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
Huffington Post

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5e398b3ac5b6ed0033ad033d?utm_source=share&utm_medium=ios_app&utm_name=iossmf

:ROFL: :lol: :ROFL: :lol:

Goddamnit, I hate that you people keep forcing me to defend Buttigieg. He has literally said in every interview that has asked that he doesn't view victory as having the most delegates. He hasn't been inconsistent with his message. These candidates need to stop giving statements rebutting dumb fucks on twitter. 75% of the people chirping him hasn't read or listened to crap beyond social media.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4911 on: February 04, 2020, 04:09:07 PM »
Huffington Post

:ROFL: :ROFL:

Goddamnit, I hate that you people keep forcing me to defend Buttigieg. He has literally said in every interview that has asked that he doesn't view victory as having the most delegates. He hasn't been inconsistent with his message. These candidates need to stop giving statements rebutting dumb fucks on twitter. 75% of the people chirping him hasn't read or listened to crap beyond social media.
Go on, MIR...

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4913 on: February 04, 2020, 04:16:11 PM »
I will, thanks.

I don't even want to read twitter right now. I'm certain that it's filled with batshit crazy bernie bots that don't know jack crap about what has been happening here, talking about how bernie is being cheated. Yeah dumbfucks the Democratic establishment is helping some gay 30 something from rough ridin' south bend, that minorities apparently can't trust. It's so rough ridin' dumb, makes me want to hang myself.

I told you guys during the summer that he was going to do well. In the fall I said he would win. They busted their ass here, they earned it. I don't think they can keep up the momentum, but I might be wrong. If he has to keep doing what he did here, they'll run out of gas.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #4914 on: February 04, 2020, 04:17:57 PM »
bernie bros on the tweeter losing their ever loving crap about pete with the early lead

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4915 on: February 04, 2020, 04:20:29 PM »
I will, thanks.

I don't even want to read twitter right now. I'm certain that it's filled with batshit crazy bernie bots that don't know jack crap about what has been happening here, talking about how bernie is being cheated. Yeah dumbfucks the Democratic establishment is helping some gay 30 something from rough ridin' south bend, that minorities apparently can't trust. It's so rough ridin' dumb, makes me want to hang myself.

I told you guys during the summer that he was going to do well. In the fall I said he would win. They busted their ass here, they earned it. I don't think they can keep up the momentum, but I might be wrong. If he has to keep doing what he did here, they'll run out of gas.
Lol. I mean, Pete is the best. He's capable of bringing in moderates who were traditionally more conservative, such as myself. Why won't you accept us?! :cry:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4916 on: February 04, 2020, 04:21:18 PM »
All the batshit crazy LibDorks (of which there are 10's of millions) would all be wise to get behind the only hope of the (D).

Mike Bloomberg

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4917 on: February 04, 2020, 04:21:45 PM »
If you nominate Bernie, I'm sitting this one out, just fyi.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4918 on: February 04, 2020, 04:21:48 PM »
I will, thanks.

Lol. I mean, Pete is the best. He's capable of bringing in moderates who were traditionally more conservative, such as myself. Why won't you accept us?! :cry:

When push comes to shove, you'll be pulling the lever for Trump whoever the Dems nominate.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4919 on: February 04, 2020, 04:22:54 PM »
When push comes to shove, you'll be pulling the lever for Trump.
I have never and never will, $!#*.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4920 on: February 04, 2020, 04:23:46 PM »
Yes you will, the mean libs will make you.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4921 on: February 04, 2020, 04:24:18 PM »
Man, you don't know the first thing about me...

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4922 on: February 04, 2020, 04:24:48 PM »
Although I do like cryin' libs...

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #4923 on: February 04, 2020, 04:25:53 PM »
Man, you don't know the first thing about me...
I know enough.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4924 on: February 04, 2020, 04:26:31 PM »
Although I do like cryin' libs...

I think ChinStalker is one of those "I held my nose" bullshit excuse guys, so don't pay any attention.