Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 545434 times)

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #3075 on: October 04, 2019, 08:50:37 AM »
yes that is partly true for me but would be the least divisive candidate for most of america

i also think the freedom dividend will have the most benefit to my own life, and also probably true for a majority of americans compared to any other policy

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3076 on: October 04, 2019, 09:53:27 AM »
yes that is partly true for me but would be the least divisive candidate for most of america

i also think the freedom dividend will have the most benefit to my own life, and also probably true for a majority of americans compared to any other policy

health care, child care and raising taxes on the rich would benefit way more aericans than $1,000/mo inflation dividend.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3077 on: October 04, 2019, 10:14:09 AM »

health care, child care and raising taxes on the rich would benefit way more aericans than $1,000/mo inflation dividend.

So you couldn't spend $1000/month on health care or child care?  Who do you think would pay the bulk of a VAT and carbon tax?

I'd really like to hear from you and MIR on why the freedom dividend would be inflationary.  I challenged MIR a couple weeks ago to explain why, but never got any response.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3078 on: October 04, 2019, 11:26:56 AM »

So you couldn't spend $1000/month on health care or child care?  Who do you think would pay the bulk of a VAT and carbon tax?

I'd really like to hear from you and MIR on why the freedom dividend would be inflationary.  I challenged MIR a couple weeks ago to explain why, but never got any response.

VAT is going to affect poor people way more than rich, any consumption tax does. A carbon tax without huge investments in transportation infrastructure will really hurt the rural poor.

I think we should evaluate policies of candidates but also ideologies and theories of change and Yang would be first in line to cut Social Security and the rest of the entitlement programs and turn them over to "disruptive innovators." He fundamentally believes that entrepreneurship is the key to solving our problems. So that's what we will get.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3079 on: October 04, 2019, 11:53:26 AM »

VAT is going to affect poor people way more than rich, any consumption tax does. A carbon tax without huge investments in transportation infrastructure will really hurt the rural poor.

I think we should evaluate policies of candidates but also ideologies and theories of change and Yang would be first in line to cut Social Security and the rest of the entitlement programs and turn them over to "disruptive innovators." He fundamentally believes that entrepreneurship is the key to solving our problems. So that's what we will get.

Glad to see you dropped the idea that the Freedom Dividend is inflationary.

Consumption taxes only affect the poor more than the rich on a relative basis compared to income.  They affect the rich much more on an absolute basis, though.  Additionally, the Freedom Dividend affects both groups the same on an absolute basis, so that means it's benefiting the poor much more on relative basis.  If you are receiving $12,000 per year ($24,000 for a couple), what would your annual spending have to be to be worse off under a 10% VAT?  And that's just spending, not income.

In terms of a carbon tax the rural poor would be better off paying a little bit more for energy and receiving $12,000 per year per person.  The additional energy costs are quite small compared to what you are receiving back.  A carbon tax that just goes to fund other government programs is going to be bad for the rural poor.  A carbon tax that is rebated back to the population on a per capita basis is not going to make them worse off.

Low-income households are going to be better off receiving support that is not means tested.  With mean-tested benefits, they are penalized with implicit taxes when income starts going up.  With the Freedom Dividend, you don't receive less benefits the more you earn.

I am all for looking at ways to improve the entitlement programs that we have.  It's completely ridiculous that we have no privatization in Social Security at all.  Chile was able to privatize their social security program.  Sweden has a partially privatized system.  Neither is perfect, but there are some pretty easy ways to at least partially privatize Social Security in the US.  I'm not looking for more of the same in a presidential candidate.  I'm looking for someone who's going to change the way these issues are looked at.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3080 on: October 04, 2019, 01:47:47 PM »

are the other candidates that much better in those areas? i see he's not in favor of taxing the rich, but even if rich were taxed more perhaps 1k a month still outweighs it?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3081 on: October 04, 2019, 10:02:16 PM »
got warren's ass.

q3 fundraising guesses with actual results

warren - 25 = 25
buttigieg - 19 = 19
sanders - 17 = 25
biden - 16 = 15
harris - 8 = 12
yang - 8 = 10
booker - 6 = 6
beto - 5
klobuchar - 4
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3082 on: October 05, 2019, 05:55:47 AM »
Thank you for saving Breadline Bernie US healthcare!

https://twitter.com/breathesaltair/status/1180071876791537670?s=21

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3083 on: October 05, 2019, 07:48:19 AM »
Incredible cringe factor here

https://twitter.com/drmistercody/status/1180188237320482816

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3084 on: October 05, 2019, 02:05:01 PM »

Glad to see you dropped the idea that the Freedom Dividend is inflationary.

Consumption taxes only affect the poor more than the rich on a relative basis compared to income.  They affect the rich much more on an absolute basis, though.  Additionally, the Freedom Dividend affects both groups the same on an absolute basis, so that means it's benefiting the poor much more on relative basis.  If you are receiving $12,000 per year ($24,000 for a couple), what would your annual spending have to be to be worse off under a 10% VAT?  And that's just spending, not income.

In terms of a carbon tax the rural poor would be better off paying a little bit more for energy and receiving $12,000 per year per person.  The additional energy costs are quite small compared to what you are receiving back.  A carbon tax that just goes to fund other government programs is going to be bad for the rural poor.  A carbon tax that is rebated back to the population on a per capita basis is not going to make them worse off.

Low-income households are going to be better off receiving support that is not means tested.  With mean-tested benefits, they are penalized with implicit taxes when income starts going up.  With the Freedom Dividend, you don't receive less benefits the more you earn.

I am all for looking at ways to improve the entitlement programs that we have.  It's completely ridiculous that we have no privatization in Social Security at all.  Chile was able to privatize their social security program.  Sweden has a partially privatized system.  Neither is perfect, but there are some pretty easy ways to at least partially privatize Social Security in the US.  I'm not looking for more of the same in a presidential candidate.  I'm looking for someone who's going to change the way these issues are looked at.

The vast array of problems that affect lower to middle income families due to huge increases in the prices of health care, education, and housing that happened at the same time there was a break in the link between worker productivity and wages aren't going to go away for $1,000/month.

You should really look in to what relative and absolute mean and then go back to the drawing board, because your thinking here is shoddy. The poor are hit harder by consumption taxes (especially in a state like Kansas that taxes groceries) because the poor have much less discretionary spending. Their consumption spending is to live and all taxes on that basic survival consumption squeezes them much more REALTIVELY than a guy deciding whether to add the Bose surround sound option on his new truck. Your bullshit about how the VAT will affect rich more on an "absolute basis" (because they consume more) and benefit the poor more on a relative basis (because they are desparate? lol!) gave me a heads up that you were absolutely the kind of person for whom this scheme is designed to impress.

The Freedom Benefit will absolutely have an impact on housing without any push for supply side interventions. Landlords will literally go rent-seeking in this environment. Look at BAH rate setting in communities surrounding military bases and see what happens to rents for both military and civilian. Without major interventions to increase the supply of housing, this problem will worsen.

As for your ideas about privatizing Social Security, I rest my case. The whole idea is simply a stalking horse for cutting all other benefits and just claiming that it is a UBI, which it isn't.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3085 on: October 05, 2019, 02:11:17 PM »
One thing is clear: It sucks to be poor. How do we fix that problem?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3086 on: October 05, 2019, 02:37:14 PM »
One thing is clear: It sucks to be poor. How do we fix that problem?

$1,000/month.  BOOM! solved.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3087 on: October 05, 2019, 02:43:46 PM »
Lol. I feel you.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3088 on: October 06, 2019, 04:25:28 AM »
Elon Musk is the smartest person in the world and he endorses Yang /thread

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3089 on: October 06, 2019, 08:04:07 AM »
Elon has a cringe factor off the charts. Very smart though.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3090 on: October 06, 2019, 12:24:24 PM »
Elon Musk is the smartest person in the world and he endorses Yang /thread

I think we can all agree that most of us here share the same political and class interests as a weirdo billionaire.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3091 on: October 06, 2019, 04:36:12 PM »
im just going to have to side with the genius who thinks a lot about the future who knows a ton about technology and economics than random posters from goEMAW :dunno:

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3092 on: October 07, 2019, 09:03:58 AM »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3093 on: October 07, 2019, 10:24:24 AM »
Liz Warren:  Always lyin, trying to float (another) lie that she was fired as a teacher for being pregnant. 

SMDH.  Just a shame ChiCom Joe is so corrupt, he'd be a shoe-in for the nom.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3094 on: October 07, 2019, 10:26:13 AM »
Focus shifting folks

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3095 on: October 07, 2019, 10:42:40 AM »
Mega corrupt-racist-war monger ChiCom Joe under scrutiny

Liz Warren back to lyin Liz

Bernie recovering from a heart attack

BetoDork getting weirder by the day

It explains a lot in terms of what is going on in Washington.

Offline Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3096 on: October 07, 2019, 11:56:31 AM »
I think that's an endorsement for Pete.

Offline Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3097 on: October 07, 2019, 12:00:43 PM »
I think that's an endorsement for Pete.

I'd say it's more of an endorsement for the candidate with the fourth best betting odds.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3098 on: October 07, 2019, 02:02:05 PM »
Dax has already thoroughly discredited/destroyed Pete ITT.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3099 on: October 07, 2019, 05:33:21 PM »
pretty good fundraising out of ol' klobsie.

q3 fundraising guesses with actual results

warren - 25 = 25
buttigieg - 19 = 19
sanders - 17 = 25
biden - 16 = 15
harris - 8 = 12
yang - 8 = 10
booker - 6 = 6
beto - 5
klobuchar - 4 = 5
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."