Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 545350 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #1925 on: May 01, 2019, 09:12:43 PM »
Millennials: "You know what we need? Ineffective policy wonks"

Gen X'ers: "You know what we need? Intellectual commoners who motivate by talking in cliches."

Is that what you think a great leader is?

It was an extreme counter to an extreme example. I'll say this though, our current president is absolutely an example of a great leader who knows nothing about policy or law.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1926 on: May 01, 2019, 09:21:59 PM »
Great leaders don’t have all their decisions undermined by the ones they’re leading (aka “deep state”).

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1927 on: May 01, 2019, 09:36:24 PM »

Gen X'ers: "You know what we need? Intellectual commoners who motivate by talking in cliches."

It was an extreme counter to an extreme example. I'll say this though, our current president is absolutely an example of a great leader who knows nothing about policy or law.

How is he a great leader. In my definition that implies (partly) a unifier. Parody post?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1928 on: May 01, 2019, 09:46:09 PM »

I think he is the opposite. A great ideas guy (from his base's POV), but an ineffectual leader. Pence would have gotten so much more done.
:adios:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1929 on: May 01, 2019, 10:16:15 PM »

How is he a great leader. In my definition that implies (partly) a unifier. Parody post?

A great leader has nothing to do with being a party unifier, absolutely positively literally, nothing. I don't even know if that's possible in this political climate. Is the eventual Democratic nominee not a leader, because whomever wins the nomination will definitely have about half the party pissed off. They'll eventually unite but it will be against cheeto, not for anyone.

Chubs is a leader because he can push people to places far beyond what they, or anyone else, thought they were capable of. His means are irrelevant to himself or the people he leads and there is something to be said about the sheer number of people willing to be led by him despite all that comes with that.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1930 on: May 01, 2019, 10:27:02 PM »
yeah, he has like 95% of pubs completely wrapped around his finger.  if he has followers, he must be a leader.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1931 on: May 01, 2019, 10:47:29 PM »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1932 on: May 01, 2019, 10:53:52 PM »
it's one definition.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1933 on: May 01, 2019, 10:55:37 PM »

Quite rough ridin' obviously, yeah, that's what I said. There are roughly 60 million people who agree with me. He can be a great leader and I and others can completely disagree with every rough ridin' thing that person is and stands for. How many people in this world would have 60 million people willing to be led by them? I think Ronald Reagan was just as dangerous that the dumpy cheeto is, do you not think he was a leader?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1934 on: May 01, 2019, 11:02:33 PM »

Quite rough ridin' obviously, yeah, that's what I said. There are roughly 60 million people who agree with me. He can be a great leader and I and others can completely disagree with every rough ridin' thing that person is and stands for. How many people in this world would have 60 million people willing to be led by them? I think Ronald Reagan was just as dangerous that the dumpy cheeto is, do you not think he was a leader?

Well I already voiced my problem with your definition. Trump himself claims he is undermined at every turn by people whose only rough ridin' job is to do what he says. That makes for a pretty shitty leader in my book.

As to your question, I think a better question would be whether a sitting president in this generation could command less than 60 million  people if they tried.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1935 on: May 01, 2019, 11:16:44 PM »
yes, i definitely think one could.  i don't underestimate trump's ability.  there is a non-zero chance he ends our democracy.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1936 on: May 01, 2019, 11:39:47 PM »

Well I already voiced my problem with your definition. Trump himself claims he is undermined at every turn by people whose only rough ridin' job is to do what he says. That makes for a pretty shitty leader in my book.

As to your question, I think a better question would be whether a sitting president in this generation could command less than 60 million  people if they tried.

You really don't think being undermined doesn't come with being in charge? Abe Lincoln was undermined more than any president in the history of the country, not a leader for you? You are conflating being a shitty president and an even shittier human with being a leader. The history of the world is littered with leaders who were bad people and others who ultimately failed. It's actually much tougher to find someone historically who fits your seemingly amazingly narrow definition.

And no, a sitting president can't command less than 60 million people if they tried? How many people in this country has what it takes to endure a primary election, a general election, then have 60 million people willing to be led by them? There are literally 7 of those people alive in this country.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1937 on: May 02, 2019, 12:09:45 AM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #1938 on: May 02, 2019, 12:14:00 AM »
I’m not going to dissect each of the points I find ridiculous, but I do find it funny that MIR & sys’s conception of a leader (someone who lots of people mimic even if their actual employees don’t respect them enough to follow orders) would put Elton John, Elvis, and Madonna as probably the three greatest leaders of the last century.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1939 on: May 02, 2019, 04:28:13 AM »
WTF

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1940 on: May 02, 2019, 08:31:44 AM »
Elvis never meant crap to me.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1941 on: May 02, 2019, 08:33:29 AM »
Kind of agree that mir is just describing a celebrity and not a leader
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #1942 on: May 02, 2019, 08:37:58 AM »
Yang will be at a park near me Friday night.  If I end up free and the dog's up for it, I will provide some #coverage. 

The coverage will probably be mostly of the crowd.

Can't we just get that from the politics or gaming threads on 4chan? How many yang supporters can get over the social anxiety to be seen in public?

A dozen?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1943 on: May 02, 2019, 08:38:37 AM »
Yeah lib gets it.  I'll take one more shot at explaining.  If having followers makes you a leader, then an egg on Instagram is among the greatest leaders of our day along with Ariana Grande, Katy Perry, Selena Gomez, and the Rock. You are conflating leader with influencer.  Leadership is intentionally driving people to achieve a goal.  Trump sucks at that.  The fact he has been influential doesn't make him any more of a leader than Justin Bieber (105+ million followers on Twitter).

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1944 on: May 02, 2019, 09:25:04 AM »
Gen X Males that I know here in KC think Warren is a Shrill Shrieking crazy woman.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1945 on: May 02, 2019, 09:34:41 AM »
Gen X Males that I know here in KC think Warren is a Shrill Shrieking crazy woman.

yeesh

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1946 on: May 02, 2019, 09:57:59 AM »
No one who aspires to be President will be a good leader.  We need to force a good leader to be president against their will.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1948 on: May 02, 2019, 10:04:16 AM »
Leadership is intentionally driving people to achieve a goal.  Trump sucks at that. 

what makes you think his goal isn't to watch fox news, insult people on twitter, say racist crap, fill his hotels and clubs with paying customers and not get arrested?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1949 on: May 02, 2019, 10:07:47 AM »
beto is doing a town hall in council bluffs saturday (council'tucky lmao) and I would irl probably go but I'm not going to be here