Author Topic: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats  (Read 544605 times)

Offline LickNeckey

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #fakeposts
    • View Profile
Re: 2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #425 on: January 30, 2019, 01:48:59 PM »
Unfortunately it’s just a political issue now. And I think Obama does deserve some blame for that.

Tribal issue for sure.

ACA was largely a conservative position before Obama touched it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: January 31, 2019, 01:27:10 PM »
a more interesting centrist billionaire.

https://twitter.com/JonLemire/status/1090938357293699073
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: January 31, 2019, 01:28:31 PM »
Is Beto really not running?  It would be like stealing candy from a baby with all these idiots.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 01, 2019, 08:07:18 PM »
warren is an interesting candidate.  it is perhaps unfortunate that she's a very poor politician.

https://twitter.com/dylanmatt/status/1091451705273843712
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 01, 2019, 08:10:40 PM »
oh and booker made it official today.  kinda weird to do it on a friday, imo.  and even worse the friday before the super bowl.  nonetheless, he's probably the most underrated candidate at the moment.  if i was interested in betting on 2020 candidates at this point in time, i'd probably be putting money on him.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 01, 2019, 08:53:21 PM »
booker sucks imo but prob a good horse to back

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 01, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
why do you think he sucks, sd?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 01, 2019, 09:18:08 PM »
why do you think he sucks, sd?

as a candidate or to me personally? to me personally I would vote TF out of him if he was the Dem against Schulz/Trump Indy/Pub tickets. I think he sucks crap as a realistic Dem candidate in that he is (for better explanation) a cop. He's (relatively) moderate, pro-biz, (again, relateively). I like him, should have worded my post better about it.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 01, 2019, 09:30:24 PM »
yeah, to you.  it's good (for him) that you like him.  it's interesting that you think of him as a moderate, since his voting record as a senator is far to the left, but all of the crazy lefty people hate him and think of him as a centrist piece of crap.

he'd kinda be mumped if all the centrists believed his senate record and no one on the hard left did.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: February 02, 2019, 12:31:26 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #435 on: February 02, 2019, 07:05:47 AM »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 02, 2019, 07:38:35 AM »
I'm also interested in the line of thought that booker is 100% for certain corrupt based on his time in NJ and it being a 100% certainty that anyone in NJ politics for that length of time is corrupt.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 02, 2019, 08:18:03 AM »
His cameo in parks and rec with Orrin Hatch was funny so he is already culturally relevant.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 02, 2019, 08:53:35 AM »
Booker’s endorsement from Chris Christie probably won’t do him any favors.  I honestly think sys still hasn’t processed where the Democratic Party is, and as such, should only be read so that you can learn that the opposite of whatever he thinks is happening or who he likes will do well in the Dem primary.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: February 02, 2019, 09:10:13 AM »
I think the Democratic Party hasn’t processed that, despite their media wing’s best efforts, in a non-Trump election they are going to lose the support of all the centrists they have now. Might be a good strategy to push 2020 left, but I think it will fall hard after that.
:adios:

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 02, 2019, 09:59:18 AM »
I think the Democratic Party hasn’t processed that, despite their media wing’s best efforts, in a non-Trump election they are going to lose the support of all the centrists they have now. Might be a good strategy to push 2020 left, but I think it will fall hard after that.

You are right but not for the reason you are saying.  There isn't a mass of "centrist" voters that hate the policies you are complaining about.  There are way more people in this country that are very conservative socially that want New Deal economic policies, not that there is a force of people like you that will swing an election.  The problem is that none of these policies will ever get through even a pretty favorable Senate unless there is some real magic and the filibuster is gone.  So, since we are in the realm of ideas, all the better to stake out some actually valuable real estate instead of the centrist think tank means tested garbage that appeals to no one and allows people like Trump to prosper by rightfully pointing out that nothing ever changes and the politicians don't care about you.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: February 02, 2019, 10:09:14 AM »
Not interested in booker. I think many Dems will flock to Harris but someone much further left will draw some stiff competition. Castro is still very much my preference, but with being out of the national public eye for a while he’s gonna have to do something to grab people’s attention. Should do well at the debates.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 02, 2019, 10:11:52 AM »
Not interested in booker. I think many Dems will flock to Harris but someone much further left will draw some stiff competition. Castro is still very much my preference, but with being out of the national public eye for a while he’s gonna have to do something to grab people’s attention. Should do well at the debates.

Castro is a weirdo.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: February 02, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
Go on

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: February 02, 2019, 12:23:03 PM »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
2020 presidential candidate 'crats
« Reply #445 on: February 02, 2019, 12:43:25 PM »
You think he’s weird because he believes emphasizing education is the key to staying economically competitive?

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: February 02, 2019, 12:54:44 PM »
You think he’s weird because he believes emphasizing education is the key to staying economically competitive?

the way he talks and his phrasing is weird. also, if the solution is just everyone going to college to get a "better job" eventually you just have college educated garbage men and janitors and pay them more? While education is important and essential for every person, not sure that we need the middle step there if the claimed goal is to help people out of poverty.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: February 02, 2019, 03:18:03 PM »
Booker’s endorsement from Chris Christie probably won’t do him any favors.  I honestly think sys still hasn’t processed where the Democratic Party is, and as such, should only be read so that you can learn that the opposite of whatever he thinks is happening or who he likes will do well in the Dem primary.

with the caveat that i didn't say that i like booker, or even that i thought he was going to win, i said i thought he was undervalued, which is not the same thing.

i think i have a decent understanding of who the democratic primary electorate is.  i am very aware that i am not in the center of that electorate.

i also don't think where candidates were eight years ago is going to be as important to people as some think.  what is booker saying now that you think is out of step with primary voters?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: February 02, 2019, 04:13:08 PM »

the way he talks and his phrasing is weird. also, if the solution is just everyone going to college to get a "better job" eventually you just have college educated garbage men and janitors and pay them more? While education is important and essential for every person, not sure that we need the middle step there if the claimed goal is to help people out of poverty.

Well there’s plenty of policy to be debated that’s for sure. I took his comment to mean that for America to stay competitive in the global market we need to focus on developing a highly skilled workforce cause were not gonna do it through manufacturing or coal mining. Which I agree with.

As for the phrasing, yeah it’s worded weird but if political catchphrases were important to me I’d probably be voting Trump.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: February 02, 2019, 04:29:08 PM »

2024 is a very long ways away.