Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 445759 times)

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Offical World Cup Thread
« Reply #150 on: June 12, 2010, 11:31:23 PM »
see this is why soccer sucks, hey lets call it a tie guys, everybody wins.  :flush:

agreed. Should always do PK's.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 13, 2010, 01:09:21 AM »
LOL at the announcers talking about tomorrow's game: "What if somebody WINS tomorrow? :surprised: "

I really hope it goes to a draw as well.    :drool:  Very happy with a draw today, like REALLY HAPPY. 

A lot of non-soccer fans just saw this as a pretty boring 1-1 game with a lucky goal thrown in, but we were really pressing for the tie which led to the slower play.  If they would have scored again it would have opened up again, but after we got that goal we were very willing to just take our chances with Howard in goal and it worked out.  If that was a situation where both teams needed the 3 points to advance the game would have looked completely different.

Look for the pace of all the games to pick up as teams get more desperate for points.

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 13, 2010, 11:57:22 AM »
Unfortunately my wish didn't come true.

With Slovenia winning today it looks like next Friday's game just got a lot more interesting.

There is still too many games to be played to know for sure but to me it looks like a loss would put us out, a tie would mean we need to beat Algeria, and a win would mean anything but a loss to Algeria would almost surely put us through.

In case you are wondering how tiebreakers work with points, here is the order.

a) greatest number of points obtained in all group matches;
b) goal difference in all group matches;
c) greatest number of goals scored in all group matches.
If two or more teams are equal on the basis of the above three criteria, their rankings will be determined as follows:
d) greatest number of points obtained in the group matches between the teams concerned;
e) goal difference resulting from the group matches between the teams concerned;
f) greater number of goals scored in all group matches between the teams concerned;
g) drawing of lots by the Organising Committee for the FIFA World Cup.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #153 on: June 13, 2010, 02:31:45 PM »
Australia getting prison raped right now

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 13, 2010, 02:39:57 PM »
yeah, the NAZI's look good.

Offline Dr.Spaceman

• Fan
  • scintillating scotoma
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 13, 2010, 03:20:43 PM »
poor soccerroos   :cry:

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 13, 2010, 04:02:06 PM »
Australia being in this tournament is a f'n joke. They are shite, coming from the pussiest of all qualification groups. The Germans shoulda won 5-0.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #157 on: June 13, 2010, 06:14:02 PM »
New Zealand being in this tournament is a f'n joke. They are shite, coming from the pussiest of all qualification groups. Everyone's gonna beat 'em 50-0.

FYP

The42Yardstick

« Reply #158 on: June 14, 2010, 07:03:04 AM »
Denmark playing good defense against the Netherlands. Would be a huge upset if the Danes won

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: June 14, 2010, 07:24:16 AM »
 :excited:

german weltmeisterschaft is gut.  ballack gone is gut.  hoping if US gets through we won't be matched up with them in round of 16.  will happen if we finish 2nd and they finish 1st in their group.  krauts definitely look the best  so far.  but a lot of the other favorites haven't played.  dutch, spanish, portuguese, cote d'ivoire, brazil

US needs probably needs 5 points to get out of the group.  and 7 to win it.  thought u.s. deserved the draw and with a little more luck could have got the full 3.

through 1/2 the first round of games in the group stage i'm thinking

goalkeeping - .  the south african keeper was awesome against the mexicans, the nigerian keeper kept their team in it against argentina. and tim howard's dominance of that stupid british $!#* of a  keeper was epic

crazy balls and slick pitches - this ball is flying in the altitude and all long passes, if they hit the turf, are bouncing uncontrollably.  the ball also skips real hard on the grass and gets to players a lot faster than they expect.

vuvuzela's - don't mind them and get used to them.  broadcasters though are getting pissed

germans - wow.  aussies are down but that was a downright dominating performance.  germans in last 3 cups have scored 16 goals in their opening game.

out of here until i watch all the games on dvr tonight.

8 games down ... 55 to go

« Last Edit: June 14, 2010, 07:44:24 AM by mcmwcat »

The42Yardstick

« Reply #160 on: June 14, 2010, 07:32:20 AM »
Jesus, Denmark.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 14, 2010, 07:34:03 AM »
lol, though it did hit the dude's back.

The42Yardstick

« Reply #162 on: June 14, 2010, 09:36:38 AM »
About the only exciting thing in the Japan-Cameroon game is that Univision just had a close-up of a cute bird eating a worm on the grass. OMG :love:

The42Yardstick

« Reply #163 on: June 14, 2010, 09:39:09 AM »
GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL HELLO KITTY!!!!

Upset alert?

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 14, 2010, 02:05:34 PM »
Damnit Eto'o

The42Yardstick

« Reply #165 on: June 14, 2010, 02:09:54 PM »
GOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL PAIR OF GUAYS!

suck on it, italy

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 14, 2010, 08:29:42 PM »
The blue samurai will be moving on to the knockout round... and satan's checking the thermostat.  :users:

Offline kat_émawn

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 14, 2010, 11:46:59 PM »
Poor Australia. At least they have the title "SoccerRoos"

Hoping for a bounce back against Ghana!

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 15, 2010, 07:36:06 AM »
another day completed and another dearth of goals.  especially goals that make you open your eyes.  goal of the tournament still belongs to south africa in the first game.   about the 1:15 mark:

i don't have high expectations for today either with Slovakia playing New Zealand and a negative Portugal side taking on Ivory Coast.  good news though with didier drogba being cleared to play: http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jiDsOMk7FTky2mKgJv2_GCGXHCOQ

but Brazil v N Korea in the afternoon game could produce some gems.  or it could produce a shocking result that would put to shame all other shockers

« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:45:31 AM by mcmwcat »

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 15, 2010, 07:45:59 AM »
an ealry usa-slovenia preview: http://theshinguardian.com/2010/06/14/kickstarting-our-usa-vs-slovenia-coverage/

While the Russia win was quality, it did come against a Russian side that was down a man for nearly 40 minutes and down two men for stoppage time.
A better measuring stick that broadcasters should be keying on is the Green Dragons match that transpired the night the States clinched a World Cup trip in Honduras. Slovenia away at Slovakia.

Koren should Sunday he's still got it....
Slovenia calmly went into Slovakia’s den–that’s right the same Slovakia who beat the U.S. 1-nil in November–and walked away with an impressive 2-0 win over a full-strength Slovakian team. The Slovenia attack, led by Robert Koren and Milivoje Novakovic, outplayed the classy triumvirate of Martin Sestak, Marek Hamsik and Vladamir “Jonathan Bornstein is in my pocket” Weiss.”
If you’ve been watching a lot of World Cup, then those last three names are quite household.
In that game, Slovenia scored on a hell of a boombasa (see here) for their first goal and–roll tape below–took a page from the Yankee playbook with a gorgeous counterattack goal. Make sure to press play and watch because TSG will be talking more about the counterattack shortly.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 07:48:24 AM by mcmwcat »

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 15, 2010, 08:19:41 AM »
Also, an imminent podcast will have my World Cup Group winners, My World Cup winner and a break down of my pending World Cup bets.

thanks mr kk  :users:

highest scoring group: group B 6-1, group G 5-1
shocking to bet on a group w/ Greece in it.  although they could spring a ton of goals.  they gave up 2 against s korea.  group G could be a bonanza with n korea going.  but portugal seems to play defensively.  we'll find out today i think if that's a good bet.  right now you're only competition is Germany's Group (D)

golden ball: Xavi 14-1. i like this.  w/ an injured Iniesta in Spain's midfield Xavi could get all the glory

golden boot: Fabiano 10-1.  you took my advice  :blush:

winner: Brazil 5-1.  def cannot argue with this

Offline PowercatPat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • #BID
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 15, 2010, 10:35:06 AM »
Ronaldo is such a whiny little bitch. He flops more than anyone I've ever seen.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 15, 2010, 04:24:55 PM »
Poor Australia. At least they have the title "SoccerRoos"

Hoping for a bounce back against Ghana!

Oh man, congrats on this though

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 15, 2010, 04:40:35 PM »
England vs USA

in Legos.

Offline Pexikan

• Combo-Fan
  • Junkyard Gato
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 15, 2010, 04:43:28 PM »
I overheard the commentators during the Brazil v. North Korea game saying that the N Korea fans in attendance were actually hand picked Chinese people hired to pose as fans. Probably because that little fat facist won't let anyone out of his country for fear of defection.  :rolleyes: