Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 447988 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)
« Reply #5925 on: June 23, 2016, 11:17:25 PM »
 :crossfingers:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5926 on: June 23, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5927 on: June 23, 2016, 11:28:47 PM »
rumblings?

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5928 on: June 24, 2016, 07:28:59 AM »
i'll give jk another WC

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5929 on: June 24, 2016, 08:34:30 AM »
rumblings?
It's not happening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5930 on: June 24, 2016, 09:06:20 AM »
Can I see a shortlist of options for next coach so I can decide what I want going forward?  tia.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5931 on: June 24, 2016, 09:51:00 AM »
Can I see a shortlist of options for next coach so I can decide what I want going forward?  tia.

I assure you they are all worse options than Jurgen. Like, we do realize that the USA job is not exactly desirable, right?

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5932 on: June 24, 2016, 10:00:23 AM »
yeah, i was just confused by MiRs post timing last night.  I'm not clued up enough to know who would even consider us after this WC cycle

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5933 on: June 24, 2016, 10:37:19 AM »
MLS coaches

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5934 on: June 24, 2016, 10:39:12 AM »
gross

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5935 on: June 24, 2016, 10:40:46 AM »
let's hand the keys to mastroeni and just ghostride this bitch over the edge and into the colorado river :lol:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5936 on: June 24, 2016, 10:55:42 AM »

I assure you they are all worse options than Jurgen. Like, we do realize that the USA job is not exactly desirable, right?

Really? Give me 10 national team jobs inarguably better. Don't even think about posting jobs like Switzerland and Belgium either.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5937 on: June 24, 2016, 11:04:35 AM »

Really? Give me 10 national team jobs inarguably better. Don't even think about posting jobs like Switzerland and Belgium either.

Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and Netherlands are all on a different planet. Belgium isn't inarguably a better job, but I think it's a pretty easy argument to win with their current roster. Arguably better would be Portugal, Chile, Mexico, Poland, Greece, Czech Republic, Croatia, Uruguay, Swiss. At best we are a middle tier job with no real soccer ties to greatness, no real stand out international level player, a huge project, and, generally, not so talented.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5938 on: June 24, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
Also, just off fan base alone, Ireland seems like it would be a very fun job.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5939 on: June 24, 2016, 11:10:42 AM »
I mean at worst it's the second best job in the third best region in the world. I think it's the best job in the second best region in the world. If you're a European based coach are you really going to move to Brazil, Argentina, or Colombia for equal money?

The entire conversation is stupid anyway, how often are we discussing world class national team coaches anywhere? WTF did Joachim Low do before he lead Germany? The answer is not a damn thing.

Cuckold American soccer fans, man.

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5940 on: June 24, 2016, 11:15:57 AM »
second best region in the world? come on MIR concacaf is a very clear 3rd, unless you were lumping the americas together

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5941 on: June 24, 2016, 11:20:13 AM »

Argentina, Brazil, England, France, Germany, Spain, Italy, and Netherlands are all on a different planet. Belgium isn't inarguably a better job, but I think it's a pretty easy argument to win with their current roster. Arguably better would be Portugal, Chile, Mexico, Poland, Greece, Czech Republic, Croatia, Uruguay, Swiss. At best we are a middle tier job with no real soccer ties to greatness, no real stand out international level player, a huge project, and, generally, not so talented.

Three fourths of the countries you listed haven't won a rough ridin' thing in any of our lifetimes, so your stance is incredibly inconsistent.

Also, just off fan base alone, Ireland seems like it would be a very fun job.

Cuckold American soccer fans forgetting that we purchased more tickets to the last world cup than every other country combined excluding Brazil. We have amazing fans and there's a quarter of a billion people that live here. We play in stadiums that are 10-20 percent of the entirety of the population of some of the countries you listed. Greece? You serious man?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5942 on: June 24, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
second best region in the world? come on MIR concacaf is a very clear 3rd, unless you were lumping the americas together

CAF is very obviously a better soccer playing region, it isn't a destination that would attract a great coach from Europe or North America. I think there are literally three countries in the world that could pull someone thought of as a great club coach to coach for a federation and that's England, Germany, and the United States. No one else has the resources to even consider it. Mexico can find the money but the country and the job is too volatile.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5943 on: June 24, 2016, 11:58:10 AM »
Brazil just fired their manager because they couldn't score against Peru.

England is coached by Roy Hodgsen.

Mexico just gave up seven goddamned goals.

But yeah, let's keep a guy who has not progressed the federation in five years because we're the little old shitty USA and we don't deserve better.

GTFO

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5944 on: June 24, 2016, 11:59:13 AM »
I mean at worst it's the second best job in the third best region in the world. I think it's the best job in the second best region in the world. If you're a European based coach are you really going to move to Brazil, Argentina, or Colombia for equal money?

The entire conversation is stupid anyway, how often are we discussing world class national team coaches anywhere? WTF did Joachim Low do before he lead Germany? The answer is not a damn thing.

Cuckold American soccer fans, man.

Ottmar Hitzfield won the Champions League with both Bayern and Dortmund before coaching the Swiss, Vincente del Bosque won the CL with Real Madrid before Spain, Conte coached Juventas and Siena before both to international success, Prandelli coached several Serie A teams to successful seasons, Hodgson has been coaching since the 70's, Tite is widely regarded as one of the best coaches on earth and Scolari coached a ton of great teams before Brazil.

These are a handful of a ton. You are delusional if you think coaching an American team, where soccer is a third tier sport, is going to be more enticing than European or South American teams where they are treated and looked at like a god, will be walking into an established and proven talent development system, and coaching a team with top level players. 

Three fourths of the countries you listed haven't won a rough ridin' thing in any of our lifetimes, so your stance is incredibly inconsistent.

Having won an international tournament is not the only prerequisite to having a job be desirable.

Let's have a quick look at where former USA coaches go, shall we: Egypt, LA Galaxy, bottom of a ditch, blah blah blah.

Side note: Cuckold American Soccer Fans is a great phrase.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5945 on: June 24, 2016, 12:11:48 PM »
Brazil just fired their manager because they couldn't score against Peru.

England is coached by Roy Hodgsen.

Mexico just gave up seven goddamned goals.

But yeah, let's keep a guy who has not progressed the federation in five years because we're the little old shitty USA and we don't deserve better.

GTFO

Our talent level has obviously progressed. Our tactics (at times) are a lot rough ridin' better than the longball counter bullshit we ran for the last 20 years. Development and institutional progression is a tough call due to the fact people are impatient as eff and we won't see the results from the institutional changes made by Jurgy for probably another decade.

Who said we don't deserve better?  I love how we somehow just expect to be good despite glaring deficiencies and a short history. I'm not some huge proponent of Klinnsman. Maybe what he has been doing as Director will work. Maybe it won't. The changes he is making runs entirely counter to the "win now" mentality. As a coach he has increased our talent pool and found players who will have an impact on our team for years to come. The quality of play is marginally better than it was under Bradley or Arena. But he has been working with, for the most part, a group of players that needed a turnover. The fact that he doesn't have any other option but to trot Clint Dempsey out there speaks for itself. If he wasn't getting results (semi final in Copa, through the group of death at WC with a lackluster team) I would be more inclined to say we should probably go a different direction, but for now there is no reason to not see him through another WC.

Who exactly do you see knocking down our door to be the next coach?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5946 on: June 24, 2016, 12:13:14 PM »
Not enough body bags for MIR

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5947 on: June 24, 2016, 12:30:34 PM »
We have middle school coaches who think dump and run is great soccer.

Royals aren't gonna win 'em all

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #5948 on: June 24, 2016, 12:35:17 PM »
We have middle school coaches who think dump and run is great soccer.

Royals aren't gonna win 'em all

We have middle school and high school coaches who are shop teachers just looking for a little extra cash and generally don't know a thing about soccer.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5949 on: June 24, 2016, 12:41:47 PM »