Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 447686 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)
« Reply #5475 on: May 23, 2016, 12:12:02 PM »
They have a poverty rate in the 40s. I wouldn't think that would lend itself to having tons of money to spend to go to a soccer game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Certainly you've seen soccer games played in other Latin American countries. Puerto Rico has a better economy than all of them, even in a recession.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5476 on: May 23, 2016, 02:00:21 PM »
Again it all goes back to the the fact that they DGAF about soccer. If the island was a cash flooded oasis with tons of people with tons of discretionary income they may have gone to the game, or if they loved they game they would have been there. They don't have either of those things.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5477 on: May 23, 2016, 11:17:18 PM »
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5478 on: May 24, 2016, 12:16:24 AM »
Again it all goes back to the the fact that they DGAF about soccer. If the island was a cash flooded oasis with tons of people with tons of discretionary income they may have gone to the game, or if they loved they game they would have been there. They don't have either of those things.

I've twice previously acknowledged that was a good point by you, we got sideways when you contended that economy was a factor, it wasn't just like it isn't anywhere else in Latin America.

Now waaay back to my original point of surprise; I'm well aware that soccer in the PR is not something that is seen as a big deal, I've been watching North American soccer for over 30 years. My surprise over the attendance was that I was under the impression that the USSF and the PRFF had worked this deal where it would have actually been mutually beneficial and an idea of a decent gate would have been a (the) factor. Soccer in PR isn't a big deal but the United States competing down there, in such a high profile sport, is.

If the PRFF didn't make any money off of the deal, and It's clear that they didn't, they should have played this game in Boca Raton or someplace somewhere else with in America with lots of Puerto Ricans that would have been happy to see their native country (territory) play. I also thought that there would have been a shitton of American fans there, cheap, easy travel, destination location, but there were none at all.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5479 on: May 28, 2016, 09:11:35 PM »
We're good again :cool:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5480 on: May 28, 2016, 09:27:47 PM »
that was pretty fun.  our babies looked good, fun to see pusilic come right in and score

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5481 on: May 28, 2016, 10:16:20 PM »
Pusilification of america

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5482 on: May 29, 2016, 03:27:37 AM »
Holy crap snacks that was bad attendance.

It was nice to see them keep some degree of pressure after the 3rd goal. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5483 on: May 29, 2016, 07:36:37 AM »
Holy crap snacks that was bad attendance.

The Jurgen effect.  He's got a lot of oscar in him.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5484 on: May 29, 2016, 08:52:24 AM »
Also horrible job by USSF promoting these pre-CA friendlies.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5485 on: May 29, 2016, 09:10:02 AM »
Ticket prices are the main issue imo.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5486 on: May 29, 2016, 10:18:42 AM »
I don't know the rest of the ticket prices, mine were pretty reasonable, similar to what I've seen for other games. 

But yeah, promo spiked hard on facebook the week before the match, indicating awful sales.  Honestly I asked my brother to double check the time and date when we pulled into CMP because of how few cars were there.  I thought maybe we were really early or something. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5487 on: May 29, 2016, 10:31:23 AM »
You can't be "the soccer capital of America" and have attendance like that. So the last time the wnt played here, the U19s played here, and the mnt played here the attendance has been laughably horrific. No excuses.

As far as on the field, we looked awesome, its too bad that because Jürgen is Jürgen we'll never see that combination of players together ever again.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5488 on: May 29, 2016, 12:50:49 PM »
You can't be "the soccer capital of America" and have attendance like that. So the last time the wnt played here, the U19s played here, and the mnt played here the attendance has been laughably horrific. No excuses.

As far as on the field, we looked awesome, its too bad that because Jürgen is Jürgen we'll never see that combination of players together ever again.

I don't see how he can change that lineup right before tournament play starts.  And holy crap were there long stretches where we just had good possession and Bolivia looked dogged out trying to break up the midfield.

Offline wabash909

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • scattered all over like seeds in the wind
    • View Profile
« Reply #5489 on: May 29, 2016, 01:34:42 PM »
Interesting.

Texas Christian University coach Gary Patterson has been hired as Kansas State's 34th football coach, multiple sources have confirmed to GoPowercat.com.  Patterson replaces Ron Prince, who was fired Wednesday. - Tim Fitzgerald   Nov, 7, 2008

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5490 on: May 29, 2016, 03:02:10 PM »

I don't see how he can change that lineup right before tournament play starts.  And holy crap were there long stretches where we just had good possession and Bolivia looked dogged out trying to break up the midfield.
Gotta think next XI is Guzan; Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin; Bradley, Jones, Bedoya; Zardes, Dempsey, Wood

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5491 on: May 30, 2016, 02:39:45 AM »

Gotta think next XI is Guzan; Johnson, Brooks, Cameron, Yedlin; Bradley, Jones, Bedoya; Zardes, Dempsey, Wood

That looks great. He won't start Deandre or Bes at left back, time for another experiment.

Steve Birnbaum, who went the full 90 at the right center back spot in Wednesday's 1-0 win over Ecuador, did not feature on Saturday night.

“It was interesting,” said Besler, who was Klinsmann's first choice at left center back in the 2014 World Cup but is being increasingly challenged by Hertha Berlin's Brooks. “I hadn't played there for a while, but Jurgen said that we needed someone to fill in there tonight. So I embraced the challenge and the opportunity, and I enjoyed it. At the end of the day, it was all about the team and getting the result, and that's what we did.”

Klinsmann liked what he saw from the foursome in the first half – which included Brooks' close-range, left-footed finish that gave the US a 2-0 lead in the 37th minute – and he didn't rule out using either Besler or Orozco in a fullback role during the upcoming tournament. He also indicated that Monterrey’s Edgar Castillo, who was called-up on Friday as a replacement for the injured Timmy Chandler and will join the US on Sunday following the Liga MX final, could potentially see time at left back.

“Obviously, we have Edgar Castillo coming in tomorrow,” Klinsmann said. “But again, it depends on who's playing the right flank for the opponents. When you talk about certain names, you need to have an idea. Maybe throwing Matt in there because he's a 100 percent pure defender and gets the defensive job done, and doesn't need to worry about going forward that much – or you want to have more an attacking-minded left back. He did a great job, so that 45 minutes was very valuable to us.”

The same was true on the other side of the back four, Klinsmann added, even with Orozco's previous experience at right back.

“It's important that we know it's OK if it's needed,” he said. “Whatever happens – two yellow cards, a red card, an injury – on the left side, there's Matt always ready if it's needed, and on the right side there's a Michael Orozco who can jump in as well.”

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5492 on: May 30, 2016, 05:03:37 AM »
I don't blame ppl at all for not showing up during memorial day weekend, during a scrimmage, at those prices, to watch soccer, etc. If anything, I tip my hat off to them for not being so stupid to do so. Ppl only cared about soccer in this town when the Royals sucked.

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5493 on: May 30, 2016, 08:06:40 AM »
Good post Wacjy  :thumbs:  love the input

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5494 on: May 30, 2016, 08:41:36 AM »
I love it when Wacky takes time out of his day to talk soccer with us. :)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5495 on: May 30, 2016, 09:22:50 AM »
I love it when Wacky takes time out of his day to talk soccer with us. :)

Early morning*

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
« Reply #5496 on: May 30, 2016, 09:28:00 AM »
Wackman I'll let you know next time I have an extra KC Wiz ticket :thumbs:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #5497 on: May 30, 2016, 02:58:24 PM »
 :D ;)

MIR posted his at 3 am, Scottie boy. Where's the outrage! But yeah, I woke up in the middle of the night. Tough luck. :cry:

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5498 on: May 30, 2016, 04:09:47 PM »
I'm a pretty big soccer buff and I didn't even know there was a game this weekend
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5499 on: June 03, 2016, 09:29:11 AM »
We're gonna win tonight   :cool: