Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 448096 times)

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
It's fun following soccer now! I've never really done it before.

LOL @ how superstitious everyone is about Altadore's goals, as if something was fundamentally wrong with him is now fixed. I'm sure he was fine before and nothing changed. 

So, after reading about Donovan's "sabbatical", I can see why he wouldn't make the team in favor of someone younger of about equal ability that was there the whole time. It was pretty silly of him.

Does it matter to you if I told you the sabbatical was a year and a half ago? What if I told you that since his sabbatical ended he played a year and a half for his club and a full year for the USA, in that year for the national team he scored 8 goals in 13 matches?
I'm not as upset about it as some, but if we are having a hard time finishing in brazil, people will believe that no Donovan is the reason.   I would probably be one ofthem,  and it would be hard to argue against that.

Because we ALWAYS make it out of the opening round. GMAFB. Unless we absolutely get obliterated (pro tip: we won't) then there is no reason US soccer fans should be up in arms. The US has a very difficult draw and we have the ability to compete based on the team JK has assembled. Not having Donovan isn't going to make us do any worse than what we are. I mean before 1990 we hadn't QUALIFIED for a world cup in 40 years, and we've gotten out of the Group stages like three times since then. If we even compete in and have a chance to get out of group play, it will have been a medium level success.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2014, 03:38:49 PM by asava »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
what percentage of NBA players would be a better goalie than whoever the best goalie in the world is? Kicks McStrongleg couldn't score on Lebron on his best day.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
My heart can't handle this.

http://fansided.com/2014/06/08/usa-front-runners-host-2022-world-cup/

there is literally nothing in this article that hasn't been said like a million times already, just a title that makes it seem like something is moving.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

there is literally nothing in this article that hasn't been said like a million times already, just a title that makes it seem like something is moving.

yes i know

Offline kitten_mittons

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Clawing at your furnitures.
    • View Profile
It's fun following soccer now! I've never really done it before.

LOL @ how superstitious everyone is about Altadore's goals, as if something was fundamentally wrong with him is now fixed. I'm sure he was fine before and nothing changed. 

So, after reading about Donovan's "sabbatical", I can see why he wouldn't make the team in favor of someone younger of about equal ability that was there the whole time. It was pretty silly of him.

Does it matter to you if I told you the sabbatical was a year and a half ago? What if I told you that since his sabbatical ended he played a year and a half for his club and a full year for the USA, in that year for the national team he scored 8 goals in 13 matches?
I'm not as upset about it as some, but if we are having a hard time finishing in brazil, people will believe that no Donovan is the reason.   I would probably be one ofthem,  and it would be hard to argue against that.

Because we ALWAYS make it out of the opening round. GMAFB. Unless we absolutely get obliterated (pro tip: we won't) then there is no reason US soccer fans should be up in arms. The US has a very difficult draw and we have the ability to compete based on the team JK has assembled. Not having Donovan isn't going to make us do any worse than what we are. I mean before 1990 we hadn't QUALIFIED for a world cup in 40 years, and we've gotten out of the Group stages like three times since then. If we even compete in and have a chance to get out of group play, it will have been a medium level success.
If we go 0-0 or 1-1 against Ghana and it keeps us from advancing, then it would be easy for me to think it could have been better with donovan.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

There is absolutely new information in the article, but what's odd is the new info is incomplete. The mention adidas' concerns but failed to mention Sony and Visa also publicly showing concern. This is a developing story, there is a lot of new info between the article out of London and the investigator hired to look into this whose findings likely won't be released until after the world cup. The blood is in the water and it won't get better for Qatar, the question is will FIFA be forced to correct their mistake, they won't otherwise.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Looks like Coke has joined in. I believe this is the 4 largest world cup sponsors chiming in, and bear in mind this is before the findings of the investigation are public.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2014/06/09/visa-coca-cola-adidas-and-sony-respond-to-more-evidence-of-fifa-corruption/

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Save us Coca-Cola, you're our only hope

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
ghana beat group h squad south korea 4-0 today in a friendly

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

:ohno:

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We are ghana get our butts kicked you guys :frown:

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
eff YOU GHANA :chainsaw:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
We are ghana get our butts kicked you guys :frown:

Squawk outed

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

don't care, go USMNTcats

Offline j-dub

• fattyfest dance champion '14
  • Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • "I wanna get hurt!"
    • View Profile
hey soccer guys,

your thoughts on our national coach saying that mls is dogshit and that our players shouldn't ever play in it?

also, does he hope that mls will eventually grow enough to compete with the elite leagues or does he not really give an eff?
"I started calling him John during the game, cause he was rocking it like No. 7 -- like Elway," Harper said."

Offline j-von

• Katpak'r
  • Hates The Band
    • View Profile
hey soccer guys,

your thoughts on our national coach saying that mls is dogshit and that our players shouldn't ever play in it?

also, does he hope that mls will eventually grow enough to compete with the elite leagues or does he not really give an eff?

JK knows more than any of us so I'm inclined to agree with him about the MLS being crap for player development and wanting players in the Euro leagues for as long as possible.  He loves the US though and has lived in Cali for a long time, so I'm sure he's not surprised that players want to come back.  He wants the MLS to get better as fast as possible, that would make his job a lot easier since a good portion of the national team will always play in the MLS.  Interesting side note...  after he retired from Tottenham in 98, he played some games in 2003 under the pseudonym Jay Göppingen for an Orange County USL team.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Meh the MLS thing is overblown. He also has said he wants his guys to get first team soccer. I would prefer our guys being stars in the MLS to reserves in Europe, but if you can play in one of the leagues undoubted in there superiority to the MLS and start 70% of them I would prefer you there, otherwise build your brand here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Institutional Control

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I watched the ghana/s korea match last night.

meh. s korea couldn't hit the goal if had been left wide open.

USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA

Offline Spaces

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Legend

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
I watched the ghana/s korea match last night.

meh. s korea couldn't hit the goal if had been left wide open.

USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA - USA

confirmed stud ^

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Howler Mag and Deadspin have teamed up for some very good analysis of every team in the WC. Today they begin our group. Here is their take on USA. Pro tip: Let's bust some fuckin heads.

http://screamer.deadspin.com/since-theyre-down-there-anyway-the-usmnt-might-as-well-1588263745/+GregHoward1

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile

'grats, @BradEssex!

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
pretty excited i'm not gonna have to use any vacation to catch our group stage games uninterrupted

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
pretty excited i'm not gonna have to use any vacation to catch our group stage games uninterrupted

:( will only get to watch the Portugal match start to finish live. Can't even attempt to take time off this early at the new job either... :(