Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 447967 times)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah after that article is the first time I really started questioning Jürgen as the head coach. I get that the USMNT needed a shakeup and all but the language used made my stomach turn a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You didn't question him after that Brian Straus article in like 2012? That was the first time I did.

I was choosing to be ignorant at that point.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Yeah after that article is the first time I really started questioning Jürgen as the head coach. I get that the USMNT needed a shakeup and all but the language used made my stomach turn a bit.

You didn't question him after that Brian Straus article in like 2012? That was the first time I did.

I was choosing to be ignorant at that point.

:thumbs: To be fair, the team started playing well soon after, so that thing blew over quickly.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
The Ox is out like 3 weeks for England. Wonder if Defoe gets a call.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
The Ox is out like 3 weeks for England. Wonder if Defoe gets a call.

I would but I doubt he does.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/magazine/how-jurgen-klinsmann-plans-to-make-us-soccer-better-and-less-american.html?hpw&rref=magazine&_r=0

I just came to post that. So Jurgen basically admits to cutting Donovan for reasons other than his firm and what happened at camp, he had an agenda. Pretty ironic that his agenda seemed to be a BiD philosophy when it comes to a so-called American sports culture.

Where the eff are you reading that he had an agenda? The article plainly states that he didn't like the way Landon was performing, and then cut him. He's absolutely right about the "star" problem in America. Why continue to reward declining performance, and why give more control or power to a single player?

Bob Bradley had 3 MLSers in South Africa, Jurgen has 10.

And this is Jurgen's fault how? When Bradley was coaching we had, by far, more Americans playing abroad. Now we don't. It doesn't have much to do with the way JK went about selecting the players.

No one is more responsible for the current state of soccer in America than Sunil Gulati.

Some in the American media have turned on Jurgen and if we don't play well this month there will be a loud media roar, he's going to feel some of that heat that European and Mexican coaches feel when they lose.

By playing well do you mean setting the record for the longest USMNT winning streak going into the WC? B/C that is pretty good, imo. Why have we, as fans, lost perspective on our nations ability to play soccer with the rest of the world. When did we become such demanding, entitled whiners? What exactly gave us the idea that we deserve anything more than what we have right now (which is better than it has ever been)? All JK has done has set the record twice for win percentage in a given calendar year (2012, and 2013) as the USMNT coach, set the record for games won (16) in a calendar year (2013), and set the record for longest win streak (12) ever. He also led the team that beat Italy for the first time in our programs history. All of this was accomplished while drastically changing the way the team plays, the way it recruits, and the way it's youth programs operate. GMAFB.

I'm also concerned about the info leaking out about the Germans on the roster having a separate faction or clique. Jonathan Hock who is producing the current inside us soccer documentary/reality show confirmed the rumor.

I actually can confirm this from a from a friend of mine who attended a taping for ESPNFC just prior to the Turkey game. Thought it was odd at the time that he would mention it. Basically said that the German players and some of the other foreign nationals (Bacon and Mix) pretty much stayed away from the other group.

Here asava was accusing us of not liking Jurgen because he's German; it seems like we should accuse Klinsmann of not liking us because we're American.

:facepalm:

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Stop being such a pansy.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
The Germans having a separate clique is old news.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I read the article and couldn't be happier to have JK as our coach. 

It's an interesting debate.  on the one hand, a stronger MLS will assuredly help soccer in America, long term.  But, there's no question that it's going to be generations (if ever) before the MLS is even remotely close to being among the world's best leagues.  so, as the USMNT coach, is it any surprise that JK prefers for his players to be playing against the best competition, i.e. not in the MLS? 

The Donovan and Kobe thing is spot on, IMO.  we're not building for the 2014 World Cup.  JK is right.  we're gonna have our dicks punched in.  we're not making it out of pool play.  look to the future.  cultivate the future stars.  don't pander to the aging "stars" of the past.       

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It's an interesting debate.  on the one hand, a stronger MLS will assuredly help soccer in America, long term.  But, there's no question that it's going to be generations (if ever) before the MLS is even remotely close to being among the world's best leagues.       

Give it 25 years and the MLS will be considered a top 5 league in the world.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
It's an interesting debate.  on the one hand, a stronger MLS will assuredly help soccer in America, long term.  But, there's no question that it's going to be generations (if ever) before the MLS is even remotely close to being among the world's best leagues.       

Yeah, funny how people still look at MLS as some crap league. It's a good league making gigantic leaps in the past several years. I'd say 25 years is about right.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't know if it will ever be top 5 (wouldn't surprise me though) but I think in 10 it's at least considered a better option than any 2nd tier European league.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

So who would be your "first league out" if the MLS supplanted one. I'm assuming La Liga, EPL, Ligue 1, Bundesliga and Serie A are your top 5?

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

It's an interesting debate.  on the one hand, a stronger MLS will assuredly help soccer in America, long term.  But, there's no question that it's going to be generations (if ever) before the MLS is even remotely close to being among the world's best leagues.  so, as the USMNT coach, is it any surprise that JK prefers for his players to be playing against the best competition, i.e. not in the MLS? 

The Donovan and Kobe thing is spot on, IMO.  we're not building for the 2014 World Cup.  JK is right.  we're gonna have our dicks punched in.  we're not making it out of pool play.  look to the future.  cultivate the future stars.  don't pander to the aging "stars" of the past.       

definitely lol'd pretty hard at this. i think we have a chance, but like JK said, we have to play our best every game to make it happen. more than a fighters chance we make it out of the group.

Definitely on the same page. I loved that article. Fully plan on answering "I'm fantastic!" every time someone asks how i'm doing.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

I don't know if it will ever be top 5 (wouldn't surprise me though) but I think in 10 it's at least considered a better option than any 2nd tier European league.

it already is

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

So who would be your "first league out" if the MLS supplanted one. I'm assuming La Liga, EPL, Ligue 1, Bundesliga and Serie A are your top 5?

Regardless of one great team (PSG), this is a stupid question. It's Ligue 1.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile

Build for 3 years, see our draw, and rough ridin' pack it in?  What a loser mentality.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

it already is

For American players yes, but I don't think it's there yet for international players

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
MLS is fine.  i don't think it's crap.  it's good for the vast majority of american talent and international talent past its prime.  in 10-25 years, there's absolutely no reason why MLS shouldn't be much better than it is now.  the infrastructure and facilities are here.  the quality of life for international talent is here.  just needs more commercial exposure, starpower and, ultimately, more money. 

I don't think JK has a loser mentality.  he comes across as a realist and a pragmatist in that article.  IMO.  Doesn't say America will always suck at soccer - just says we suck right now.  And he took the job to change this. 

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

We may already be a top 10 league and of we aren't yet we are close.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Ligue 1, and we will never have the history of Serie A but the MLS if ran correctly will pass them too.

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

we will never have the history of Serie A but the MLS if ran correctly will pass them too.

why? 

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Regardless of one great team (PSG), this is a stupid question. It's Ligue 1.

Not really a stupid question considering any league after EPL, Bundesliga and La Liga is kind of up in the air. Any list i've seen is all over the place. Eredivisie is another good one, and there a couple of South American leagues that are very good as well.

This one even has the Ukranian league in the top 5.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1922780-statistically-ranking-the-worlds-top-10-football-leagues

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

we will never have the history of Serie A but the MLS if ran correctly will pass them too.

why?

Why what?

Offline Belvis Noland

• Katpak'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

why?

Why what?

why will the MLS, if run correctly, pass them too? 

why do you assume this?  serious question.  Not saying you're wrong, necessarily.  Just curious.