Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 448352 times)

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Who's getting turnt up witcha boi AppleJack downtown 2 weeks from now?

I'll be the handsome person wearing the Frankie Hejduk jersey.
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
Worst of the match: Dempsey, Altidore, Chandler, Green. Best: Howard, Beckerman

At this point, we have zero chance of scoring more than two goals in Brazil, including own goals. So much worse than '94 but with much more talent.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Worst of the match: Dempsey, Altidore, Chandler, Green. Best: Howard, Beckerman

At this point, we have zero chance of scoring more than two goals in Brazil, including own goals. So much worse than '94 but with much more talent.

I thought Dempsey and Altidore were actually a lot better than they have been. Altidore's final touch still eluding him, but he was very good throughout the whole match. Dempsey had some incredible play, but also had some mediocre play. Chandler for sure was not great. Beckerman played really well with Bradley when he came in. Brooks played great.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why is the statue of liberty holding a turkey drumstick?

Oh maybe because we were playing Turkey.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
Why is the statue of liberty holding a turkey drumstick?

Oh maybe because we were playing Turkey.

:Wha:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Injuries :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
falcao is a real bummer

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Worst of the match: Dempsey, Altidore, Chandler, Green.

I really don't agree with any of this. We had plenty of chances, weird time to gripe about goal scoring. I thought Dempsey and Altidore were fine as was Julian. What were you expecting? Also remember that this was match 3 of the change to the 4-4-2.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

I really don't agree with any of this. We had plenty of chances, weird time to gripe about goal scoring. I thought Dempsey and Altidore were fine as was Julian. What were you expecting? Also remember that this was match 3 of the change to the 4-4-2.

Chandler was pretty sub-par the entire match. He had quite a few very ugly possessions, and one very crucial give-away.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Were you and I even watching the same game?   :sdeek:

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
falcao is a real bummer

Was very disappointed to see that.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Chandler was pretty sub-par the entire match. He had quite a few very ugly possessions, and one very crucial give-away.

Chandler wasn't great, but he wasn't awful like a lot of people have been saying. We can't forget he's a right back playing out of position too.

Altidore had a good game. Should have put one or two away, but he'll get that breakthrough goal against Nigeria. Green is just too small out there. I love his talent, but he's still finding his feet out there with the big boys.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Mix Diskerud @MixDiskerud  ·  2m
Long hair don't care

:love:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I don't expect full form, not sure why you are.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Mostly because we're nearing the World Cup, something we should have been preparing for for 4 years.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Mostly because we're nearing the World Cup, something we should have been preparing for for 4 years.

Despite being wrong about most stuff, MiR has a point here. Change in system and a rotating crew in the back 4 means we don't have it exactly dialed in, and we probably won't for a while. Still totally disagree with your assessment of Dempsey, Altidore, and Green. Altidore had his best showing of the year, imo. Same could be said of Dempsey. 

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Despite being wrong about most stuff, MiR has a point here. Change in system and a rotating crew in the back 4 means we don't have it exactly dialed in, and we probably won't for a while. Still totally disagree with your assessment of Dempsey, Altidore, and Green. Altidore had his best showing of the year, imo. Same could be said of Dempsey.

Define "a while."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Define "a while."

I'd guess (could be way off) that we will see a few hiccups in the WC, but overall should be more polished. Looking forward to see what things look like against Nigeria.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Define "a while."

I'd guess (could be way off) that we will see a few hiccups in the WC, but overall should be more polished. Looking forward to see what things look like against Nigeria.

Just spit balling here, but if you know you'll be playing in the most important event 4 years ahead of time, and you're not polished or peaking by that time frame, then that's a monumental failure.  Good thing it's soccer though and no one will notice or really care one way or another.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Define "a while."

Just spit balling here, but if you know you'll be playing in the most important event 4 years ahead of time, and you're not polished or peaking by that time frame, then that's a monumental failure.  Good thing it's soccer though and no one will notice or really care one way or another.

When you hire a new coach (3 years ago) for a country that doesn't have an infrastructure set up to compete with the best in the world, and he is tasked with implementing a new mentality, new system, and new players, I don't think it's a failure. In fact, I think he is well ahead of where he should be in making this team an future US teams a threat. We play a form of the game that is vastly improved over our previous counter scheme, and we are winning (quite often).

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
good read.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/08/magazine/how-jurgen-klinsmann-plans-to-make-us-soccer-better-and-less-american.html?hpw&rref=magazine&_r=0

I just came to post that. So Jurgen basically admits to cutting Donovan for reasons other than his firm and what happened at camp, he had an agenda. Pretty ironic that his agenda seemed to be a BiD philosophy when it comes to a so-called American sports culture. Here asava was accusing us of not liking Jurgen because he's German; it seems like we should accuse Klinsmann of not liking us because we're American.

Look, it was not possible to be happier than I was when Jurgen was named the coach, I like what he's doing for the most part, but it's easy to see why Bayern fired him after nine months. I just don't understand how anyone who read how this Donovan cut went down can be completely comfortable with the process Jurgen took. I also find his continued slamming of the MLS both confusing and hilarious. Bob Bradley had 3 MLSers in South Africa, Jurgen has 10. Does he not understand that the success of MLS is vital to the growth of American soccer? I find certain aspects of what he's trying to do refreshing but he is certainly rubbing people the wrong way. Despite Sunil's public comments, and frankly they better be positive towards Klinsmann, he has to be bothered by Jurgen's attitude of the American soccer structure being hopelessly broken. No one is more responsible for the current state of soccer in America than Sunil Gulati. I'm also guessing that his veterans also raised their eyebrows when reading this. I'm also concerned about the info leaking out about the Germans on the roster having a separate faction or clique. Jonathan Hock who is producing the current inside us soccer documentary/reality show confirmed the rumor. Some in the American media have turned on Jurgen and if we don't play well this month there will be a loud media roar, he's going to feel some of that heat that European and Mexican coaches feel when they lose. Look at this writer at ESPNfc's take on the Klinsmann article.

http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/story/1862206/jurgen-klinsmann-questions-catering-to-star-playerskobe-bryant-contract

I'm all in with the USMNT under Jurgen but his mouth has but him in the situation where he better win and win now. His changing of the formation just for friendlies before the world cup won't be a viable excuse if we embarrass ourselves.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Yeah after that article is the first time I really started questioning Jürgen as the head coach. I get that the USMNT needed a shakeup and all but the language used made my stomach turn a bit.

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile
Yeah after that article is the first time I really started questioning Jürgen as the head coach. I get that the USMNT needed a shakeup and all but the language used made my stomach turn a bit.

You didn't question him after that Brian Straus article in like 2012? That was the first time I did.