Poll

I'm thinking of wrecking threads everywhere until this shit gets fixed or I get banned, should I?

Si
35 (71.4%)
No
14 (28.6%)

Total Members Voted: 47

Author Topic: US Men's National Team Soccer Thread! (lower division thread)  (Read 448357 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I don't understand why anyone wouldn't be in favor of building for the future.

Because we live in the present and tomorrow isn't promised. You build for the future in the four years of qualifiers and friendlies, not in a once every four year occurrence. This isn't a professional sports league where building for the future is a 2 year plan, the next world cup is freaking more than four years away. You think Michael Bradley, Tim Howard, and Clint Dempsey care about the next world cup?

Also it's a ridiculous fallacy that Julian Green, Aron Johannsson, and Deandre Yedlin playing in 3-5 matches will make them any better in 4 years, that thought process is as outrageous as it sounds. How much would we laugh if the coach of the men's olympic basketball team replaced Dwayne Wade on the team with the rivals #1 high school shooting guard to make them better for the future?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I finally got around to watching the Champions League final and the post game studio show did a segment on Donovan getting cut. All of the panelists not only agreed that Landon should have been on the roster but they also accused Jurgen of having an agenda with how he handled the situation.

Well if that isn't clear cut evidence that HCJK is out to destroy American soccer, then I don't know what is.

You're either the best or worst at building strawmen, I can't tell which it is. Who in this discussion has accused Klinsmann of wanting to destroy American soccer? How many of these posts will we have to sit through this time before you develop a cogent thought as it relates to what Rob Stone, Warren Barton, Brian McBride, and Brad Friedel had to say?

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Because we live in the present and tomorrow isn't promised. You build for the future in the four years of qualifiers and friendlies, not in a once every four year occurrence. This isn't a professional sports league where building for the future is a 2 year plan, the next world cup is freaking more than four years away. You think Michael Bradley, Tim Howard, and Clint Dempsey care about the next world cup?

Also it's a ridiculous fallacy that Julian Green, Aron Johannsson, and Deandre Yedlin playing in 3-5 matches will make them any better in 4 years, that thought process is as outrageous as it sounds. How much would we laugh if the coach of the men's olympic basketball team replaced Dwayne Wade on the team with the rivals #1 high school shooting guard to make them better for the future?

Aron Johannsson is not in the same group as Yedlin, Brooks, and Green.

And while I agree with you, World Cup experience is valuable.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
I am the future assistant coach of U10 Girls Soccer. We have decided to send the 10 year olds packing and start coaching the 6 year olds and playing them against the 10 year olds from other teams. Sure, we will get smoked this year and next and next, and next, but in 4 years...oh man!

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Just put him in because he is viewed as a part of the youth movement, he received his first cap less than a year ago.

We'll agree to disagree on the world cup experience thing. I know that is a frequent talking point but no one follows up with a reason why it is. Whether you're a veteran or a 20 year old with one cap, you're going to have jitters before the ball is kicked to start the cup, once the game starts it's just soccer. But other than getting the first experience of the spectacle out of the way I don't know of a tangible benefit that these 3 matches or so will provide that will aide on the field in Russia in 2018.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
El Tri v Ecuador on Univision deportes from Dallas at 1:30, a replay of the latest March To Brazil episode on ABC at 2p for some afternoon viewing since the royals are getting pounded and SKC isn't until 6.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
El Tri game actually at 2

Offline sunny_cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • eff off
    • View Profile

Just put him in because he is viewed as a part of the youth movement, he received his first cap less than a year ago.

We'll agree to disagree on the world cup experience thing. I know that is a frequent talking point but no one follows up with a reason why it is. Whether you're a veteran or a 20 year old with one cap, you're going to have jitters before the ball is kicked to start the cup, once the game starts it's just soccer. But other than getting the first experience of the spectacle out of the way I don't know of a tangible benefit that these 3 matches or so will provide that will aide on the field in Russia in 2018.

Fair enough. I will agree that it's not as valuable as the talking heads make it out to be.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I love these El Tri matches on ESPN even though I hate El Tri. That leg break was gruesome today.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I love these El Tri matches on ESPN even though I hate El Tri. That leg break was gruesome today.

I've come around. I enjoy international matches a lot.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
I finally got around to watching the Champions League final and the post game studio show did a segment on Donovan getting cut. All of the panelists not only agreed that Landon should have been on the roster but they also accused Jurgen of having an agenda with how he handled the situation.

Well if that isn't clear cut evidence that HCJK is out to destroy American soccer, then I don't know what is.

You're either the best or worst at building strawmen, I can't tell which it is. Who in this discussion has accused Klinsmann of wanting to destroy American soccer? How many of these posts will we have to sit through this time before you develop a cogent thought as it relates to what Rob Stone, Warren Barton, Brian McBride, and Brad Friedel had to say?

Their job is to create drama and intrigue. What better story line is there to run with than JK snubbing Donovan. They are now tv personalities pushing story line. If you can't see that, then you are an idiot.

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

I love how you are still assuming these players won't play in the WC. You have no rough ridin' clue if they will or not, just like everyone else.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Coverage starts now! C'mon you Yanks!!

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Great tifo by the American Outlaws today.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
American outlaw camp, and tactical cam views via espn3 today.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I know very little about soccer rules but it seems to me that this referee is total garbage and hates the USA.

Online ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I know very little about soccer rules but it seems to me that this referee is total garbage and hates the USA.

Sounds like good prep for the WC

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Great goal, the offense looked good. D was a little scary at points.

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Why is the statue of liberty holding a turkey drumstick?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Their job is to create drama and intrigue. What better story line is there to run with than JK snubbing Donovan. They are now tv personalities pushing story line. If you can't see that, then you are an idiot.

So wait, you think in their FOX production meeting they got together and said; "yeah guys lets collectively kill Jurgen Klinsmann to create intrigue with these people watching the European club championship because god knows there are thousands of Americans watching this match that have no interest in watching the world cup. Wait the World Cup isn't on our network? The hell with it, lets build some intrigue for ESPN!"

Honestly you need to take like 5 minutes to ponder what you just typed before you hit that "post" button down there, these posts sound silly.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I love how you are still assuming these players won't play in the WC. You have no rough ridin' clue if they will or not, just like everyone else.

Uhhhh, I didn't assume that at all, not sure why you would think that based on what I posted. I don't care if they play every second of every match, it won't have a tangible effect positively or negatively in Russia in 2018.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

They poured quite a few players forward, I'm very nervous about the different combinations we are trying back there, it would have been nice if this was worked out by now. Needless to say it is problematic that we are two weeks away from starting in the group of death and have no clue as to what the back line is going to look like.

TIFO was very good, too many empty seats for my taste, especially given it was a "sellout."

Offline asava

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile

Uhhhh, I didn't assume that at all, not sure why you would think that based on what I posted. I don't care if they play every second of every match, it won't have a tangible effect positively or negatively in Russia in 2018.

:facepalm:

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

They poured quite a few players forward, I'm very nervous about the different combinations we are trying back there, it would have been nice if this was worked out by now. Needless to say it is problematic that we are two weeks away from starting in the group of death and have no clue as to what the back line is going to look like.

TIFO was very good, too many empty seats for my taste, especially given it was a "sellout."

Yeah I agree for it being a sell out we had a lot of empties. I'm pretty disappointed in that. The northeast needs to do better. I am curious what the Jacksonville turnout will be. With the huge serge by the MLS into the southeast they better hope for a huge crowd.