Author Topic: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)  (Read 137611 times)

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)
« Reply #1425 on: July 26, 2018, 08:58:46 AM »

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: July 26, 2018, 08:18:01 PM »
tariffs are taxes. how massive is our profit from the tariffs?

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: July 26, 2018, 09:10:06 PM »
https://twitter.com/TopherSpiro/status/1022574751485767680

I feel like that era with those tax receipt %'s greater than 4% was the last time America was "great", right?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: July 26, 2018, 10:01:37 PM »

when the 200b china tariffs kick in, maybe like 30-40b or so.  depends on how much tariff avoiding behavior there is.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: July 31, 2018, 07:31:29 PM »
Turning dems into deficit hawks to own the libs.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:26 PM »

when the 200b china tariffs kick in, maybe like 30-40b or so.  depends on how much tariff avoiding behavior there is.

Avoiding import  costs is an art form.  Shoe companies spray a clear protectant on the bottom of most of their shoes so that it costs less as a ‘slipper’.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: August 01, 2018, 09:36:17 AM »

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: August 01, 2018, 12:16:25 PM »
He’s like a man without a country

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: August 01, 2018, 09:42:41 PM »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1436 on: August 03, 2018, 01:54:09 PM »
You can read tweets, or op-eds, or you can just look at the actual numbers. Here are the Treasury's latest monthly numbers on receipts (revenue) and outlays (spending) going all the way back to the 80s. https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsreports/rpt/mthTreasStmt/current.htm It's a very easy to read chart. You can even download it as an excel file and play around with it.

These latest numbers end at June 2018. Oddly enough, revenue for the first 6 months of 2018 is slightly higher than the first 6 months of 2017. Unfortunately, federal spending is also higher, and outpacing the revenue.

It's almost like we've got a.... spending problem. And while I agree that Republicans shoulder much of the blame for our current spending glut given that they hold the WH, House, and Senate (albeit not by a big enough margin to get any significant budget cuts past a Democrat filibuster), I think it's a bit disingenuous to blame increasing deficits on the tax cuts given that revenue has not fallen.

Meanwhile, I can report that the KSU-Dub household is having a banner year and these tax cuts could well save me over 8 grand this year alone. But if you want to be bitter and angry over letting people keep more of their money, bitch away.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: August 03, 2018, 02:12:39 PM »
You can read tweets, or op-eds, or you can just look at the actual numbers. Here are the Treasury's latest monthly numbers on receipts (revenue) and outlays (spending) going all the way back to the 80s. https://www.fiscal.treasury.gov/fsreports/rpt/mthTreasStmt/current.htm It's a very easy to read chart. You can even download it as an excel file and play around with it.

These latest numbers end at June 2018. Oddly enough, revenue for the first 6 months of 2018 is slightly higher than the first 6 months of 2017. Unfortunately, federal spending is also higher, and outpacing the revenue.

It's almost like we've got a.... spending problem. And while I agree that Republicans shoulder much of the blame for our current spending glut given that they hold the WH, House, and Senate (albeit not by a big enough margin to get any significant budget cuts past a Democrat filibuster), I think it's a bit disingenuous to blame increasing deficits on the tax cuts given that revenue has not fallen.

Meanwhile, I can report that the KSU-Dub household is having a banner year and these tax cuts could well save me over 8 grand this year alone. But if you want to be bitter and angry over letting people keep more of their money, bitch away.

"yes, we hate people keeping their own money."

A straw man created by complete dipfucks

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: August 03, 2018, 02:16:46 PM »

Sorry, should have given you a trigger warning first. Hope you got to keep more of your paycheck, DD. I don't begrudge other people their wealth or success.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: August 03, 2018, 02:22:07 PM »
You know what I call someone who makes more money but still manages to put themselves deeper in debt?

Depends on what they’re spending it on really, but either a dumbass or irresponsible.

That’s how I feel about this Republican-controlled congress right now.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1440 on: August 03, 2018, 02:28:55 PM »

Sorry, should have given you a trigger warning first. Hope you got to keep more of your paycheck, DD. I don't begrudge other people their wealth or success.

It's called a draw, only scrubs get paychecks.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1441 on: August 03, 2018, 02:37:09 PM »

It's called a draw, only scrubs get paychecks.

:lol: Ok bud. All the same, I hope you're benefiting. Getting to keep more of the money you earn, this roaring economy, these are good things. Be happy about them!

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1442 on: August 03, 2018, 02:41:49 PM »
smart people do well in all economies.  It's a shame only smart people know that

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1443 on: August 03, 2018, 03:21:54 PM »

Interesting to blame the democrats for spending....given the spending spree by the republicans that's actually happening. 

Glad you are taking more home, costs of everything are about to go up with your lovely tariffs that's going to eat away that $8k real quick.

The story on tax cuts on revenues is still to be told..

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1444 on: August 03, 2018, 08:06:05 PM »

Interesting to blame the democrats for spending....given the spending spree by the republicans that's actually happening. 

Glad you are taking more home, costs of everything are about to go up with your lovely tariffs that's going to eat away that $8k real quick.

The story on tax cuts on revenues is still to be told..

That’s right. We still don’t know the full impact of the tax cuts. All I can say is that for the first half of the calendar year since the cuts went into effect, the cuts have not blown a hole in our receipts. The doom and gloom that was predicted has not come to pass. The economy is turbocharged.

Regarding the tariffs, please. Just give it a rest. I’m a proponent of free trade. But free trade is a two way street. Trump is currently working to balance out the tariff load, and ultimately I expect that tariffs will be reduced on both sides. In the meantime, your hysteria about trade wars, tariffs and price inflation is not coming to pass. Don’t be like this. Call down. Relax.

Finally, you need to acknowledge that liberals are being extremely disingenuous on deficits. First, the growing deficits are not being caused by tax cuts (see point one) but by spending. Second, it’s true that the GOP is currently in control of the WH and Congress and are therefore chiefly politically responsible for the current spending glut. But you and I both know that there’s a difference between political perception and reality. And there is a difference between party and ideology.

What I mean by that is: (1) the GOP is not a monolithic party but a coalition of “moderate” and conservative politicians, and (2) even if the GOP were more conservative, it still wouldn’t be able to get much done from a budget standpoint because of Democrat filibuster power in the Senate.

To suggest that our spending problem will somehow improve with Democrats in charge of the Congress is hysterical nonsense. The only way to actually get spending under control is to elect significantly more fiscal conservatives. So for a liberal to tease me about our spending problem, which I fully acknowledge, is more than a tad disingenuous. It is blatantly, stupidly dishonest.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1445 on: August 03, 2018, 08:19:30 PM »
The biggest difference is democrats at least try to pay for the spending. Kdub types just want free crap

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1446 on: August 03, 2018, 08:22:23 PM »
The biggest difference is democrats at least try to pay for the spending. Kdub types just want free crap

You can’t tax your way out of our spending problem. That is a fantasy.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1447 on: August 03, 2018, 08:26:30 PM »
There is no such thing as a fiscal conservative, hope that helps.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1448 on: August 03, 2018, 08:30:28 PM »

You can’t tax your way out of our spending problem. That is a fantasy.

We’re certainly trying to tariff our way out of one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1449 on: August 03, 2018, 09:27:25 PM »
Regarding the tariffs, please. Just give it a rest. I’m a proponent of free trade. But free trade is a two way street. Trump is currently working to balance out the tariff load, and ultimately I expect that tariffs will be reduced on both sides. In the meantime, your hysteria about trade wars, tariffs and price inflation is not coming to pass. Don’t be like this. Call down. Relax.

I was told the tarrifs were for national security reasons?  Or was Canada just owning us with tarrifs?