Author Topic: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)  (Read 140414 times)

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)
« Reply #1600 on: January 31, 2019, 07:33:21 AM »
For me personally, increasing my salary has always been an excellent way to have more money. Keeping track of my effective FIT, on the other hand, has been far less profitable.

You really don’t care how much the government takes from you as long as you can pay your bills? What a way to live. If you’ve got money left over at the end of the month, do you pay that over to the gov, too?

I believe I have an obligation to pay taxes, which I am happy to fulfill, and that the amount I am taxed is reasonable. Crazy stuff, I know.

what level of taxation would you feel would be unreasonable for you personally this year?
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:36:55 AM by Tubesock »
You are dipping into the Kool Aid and you don't even know what flavor it is.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1601 on: January 31, 2019, 07:54:42 AM »
For me personally, increasing my salary has always been an excellent way to have more money. Keeping track of my effective FIT, on the other hand, has been far less profitable.

You really don’t care how much the government takes from you as long as you can pay your bills? What a way to live. If you’ve got money left over at the end of the month, do you pay that over to the gov, too?

I believe I have an obligation to pay taxes, which I am happy to fulfill, and that the amount I am taxed is reasonable. Crazy stuff, I know.

Which amount is reasonable? The amount before or after tax reform?

I'm sure I won't know the difference. It's not something I've ever noticed in the past.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1602 on: January 31, 2019, 07:55:59 AM »

what level of taxation would you feel would be unreasonable for you personally this year?

It would have to like double before I'd even notice.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1603 on: January 31, 2019, 08:15:02 AM »
We have a wealth gap in the US, 'crats bring it up, nobody disagrees.  Is this gap made wider by a progressive tax scale, counterintuitive I know but are you sure the man isn't keeping the masses down by
making all the income, paying all the taxes and creating all the wealth.

it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:11 AM »

It would have to like double before I'd even notice.

If it doubled, what would your eft be?  Your threshold for reasonable is important to me

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1605 on: January 31, 2019, 08:18:52 AM »
NE is in a pickle with their property taxes. I pay an incredible amount in them but they fund our schools so it's cool. The problem is people are enraged about them all over. but you can't just not fund the schools, if anything we need to fund them more. but where do you pick up that bill? we don't tax groceries which is weird but I don't think starting to tax them all of a sudden is a solution because that hurts the most in need the most. they fight about it all the time and always say they are going to solve it but never do.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1606 on: January 31, 2019, 08:19:31 AM »
but now I'm enraged about them because they capped my SALT deduction  :curse:

Offline gatoveintisiet

• Combo-Fan
  • the maverick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1607 on: January 31, 2019, 08:41:30 AM »
We have a wealth gap in the US, 'crats bring it up, nobody disagrees.  Is this gap made wider by a progressive tax scale, counterintuitive I know but are you sure the man isn't keeping the masses down by
making all the income, paying all the taxes and creating all the wealth.

My gut tells me workers are not coming out well on this low tax rate for low wage trade off

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1608 on: January 31, 2019, 10:03:15 AM »
NE is in a pickle with their property taxes. I pay an incredible amount in them but they fund our schools so it's cool. The problem is people are enraged about them all over. but you can't just not fund the schools, if anything we need to fund them more. but where do you pick up that bill? we don't tax groceries which is weird but I don't think starting to tax them all of a sudden is a solution because that hurts the most in need the most. they fight about it all the time and always say they are going to solve it but never do.

The problem is that the property taxes you pay (and people in your tax bracket) don't go to the schools that need that money most.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1609 on: January 31, 2019, 10:11:57 AM »
Solving the problem of wealth inequality is going to have to be way more comprehensive than just "Tax the Rich". That's a good start, but there's other things that can have huge benefits for impoverished communities including efforts to stop red-lining and gerrymandering, eliminating predatory lending practices, criminal and prison reform, increasing the minimum wage, healthcare reform, etc. There needs to a concerted effort made on multiple prongs of this trident before substantial progress will be made.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1610 on: January 31, 2019, 10:43:19 AM »
Trump needed the SALT cap to stick it to the rich-ish people in high-tax lib states like California, New York, Illinois, and ...wait, Nebraska?
:adios:

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1611 on: January 31, 2019, 11:04:42 AM »
Always shocking to me that the ones who claim they are the most patriotic and America first are also the ones who bitch the most about any taxes. Then bitch about potholes.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1612 on: January 31, 2019, 11:10:46 AM »
NE is in a pickle with their property taxes. I pay an incredible amount in them but they fund our schools so it's cool. The problem is people are enraged about them all over. but you can't just not fund the schools, if anything we need to fund them more. but where do you pick up that bill?

a birth tax to fund schools seems fair.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1613 on: January 31, 2019, 11:16:35 AM »
Always shocking to me that the ones who claim they are the most patriotic and America first are also the ones who bitch the most about any taxes. Then bitch about potholes.
Is your insinuation that the foundational American ideals include paying lots of taxes? The position you’ve outlined doesn’t seem incongruous with American patriotism.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1614 on: January 31, 2019, 11:16:53 AM »
Trump needed the SALT cap to stick it to the rich-ish people in high-tax lib states like California, New York, Illinois, and ...wait, Nebraska?

yeah, we are a weird outlier state that has super high prop taxes. like, rich people states, states with no state income tax, and NE for some rough ridin' reason.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/

My levy is actually 2.41. and now I can't even deduct any of it.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1615 on: January 31, 2019, 11:42:06 AM »
nothing noticeably different from last year.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1616 on: January 31, 2019, 11:59:21 AM »
Is your insinuation that the foundational American ideals include paying lots of taxes? The position you’ve outlined doesn’t seem incongruous with American patriotism.

I would say if you want America to be great it would have to be funded?

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1617 on: January 31, 2019, 12:07:58 PM »
We purposely moved into a stellar school district. Tax rate is 2.2 and I am happy to pay it. Writing that check literally puts a smile on my face.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1618 on: January 31, 2019, 12:11:58 PM »

Depends on what you think makes it great and what you think it should be funded to do.

Online Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1619 on: January 31, 2019, 12:18:51 PM »

Depends on what you think makes it great and what you think it should be funded to do.

I mean sure.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1620 on: January 31, 2019, 01:00:45 PM »
We purposely moved into a stellar school district. Tax rate is 2.2 and I am happy to pay it. Writing that check literally puts a smile on my face.

Mine did as well WHEN I COULD DEDUCT IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1621 on: January 31, 2019, 01:26:24 PM »
Looks like you bought more house than you could afford, sad...really.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1622 on: January 31, 2019, 01:27:45 PM »
very sad

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1623 on: January 31, 2019, 01:45:13 PM »

yeah, we are a weird outlier state that has super high prop taxes. like, rich people states, states with no state income tax, and NE for some rough ridin' reason.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-highest-and-lowest-property-taxes/11585/

My levy is actually 2.41. and now I can't even deduct any of it.

You can deduct up to $10,000 of it.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1624 on: January 31, 2019, 01:46:24 PM »

Writing that check? Do you have a mortgage?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.