Author Topic: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)  (Read 137818 times)

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Taxes (GOP 2017 edition)
« Reply #1525 on: January 28, 2019, 10:47:20 AM »
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1089921014585274375

It's a really interesting question, but impossible to know with any certainty. The CBO has spun out so many crank predictions at this point (see Obamacare) that they've kinda tarnished their credibility. But it's interesting to see the CBO acknowledge that even a third of the tax cuts paid for themselves.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1526 on: January 28, 2019, 10:48:33 AM »
Cbo sucks unless they say want I want them to say.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1527 on: January 28, 2019, 12:39:50 PM »
Cut taxes but don’t cut spending proportionally what could go wrong.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1528 on: January 28, 2019, 12:55:57 PM »
I'll take the standard D.  Don't have my w2 yet

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1529 on: January 28, 2019, 01:03:31 PM »

The party of fiscal responsibility
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1530 on: January 28, 2019, 01:06:43 PM »

The party of fiscal responsibility

Just print more money. What's the big deal?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1531 on: January 28, 2019, 01:30:57 PM »
Welcome newly aware about government spending LibBot Nation.   Hit the showers, and the barber, you've been asleep for a decade.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1532 on: January 28, 2019, 01:55:06 PM »
Yeah, Reagan, Bush, Bush, and Trump have been unmitigated budgetary disasters

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1533 on: January 28, 2019, 04:16:47 PM »
Can we all agree that our spending levels have been an unmitigated disaster under Pub and Dem administrations, including this one, and get back to talking taxes?

We should all be able to agree (because it’s the truth) that our deficits are driven far more by out of control spending than tax levels. Even the CBO, which is highly allergic to dynamic scoring (accounting for economic impact when scoring the true cost of changes) concedes that tax cuts partially paid for themselves due to increased economic output. Conversely, liberals (and the CBO) would likewise need to concede that raising taxes would adversely impact the economy. You cannot raise taxes enough to even come close balancing our budget. It’s the spending, stupid.

Deficits are VERY important to me, and you’ll see that I’ve complained about Trump’s failure in this regard just as much as under Obama. I would actually support paying slightly higher taxes to help pay down the debt - AFTER the government slashed spending. But it is absurd to claim that we don’t deserve to keep a little more of our money simply because the government refuses to get its spending binge under control.

Ok. So now that that’s been said, let get back on topic please. I want to know how this tax reform impacted you! Hopefully it helped.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #1534 on: January 28, 2019, 04:27:31 PM »
Limits on SALT deductions will cost me a fair amount of money vs last year. Don’t know how much yet, but it will be non-trivial.
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #1535 on: January 28, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »
Limits on SALT deductions will cost me a fair amount of money vs last year. Don’t know how much yet, but it will be non-trivial.

Yeah, mine was certainly non-trivial

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • complacent and self-involved
    • View Profile
« Reply #1536 on: January 28, 2019, 04:48:53 PM »
I would actually support paying slightly higher taxes to help pay down the debt - AFTER the government slashed spending. But it is absurd to claim that we don’t deserve to keep a little more of our money simply because the government refuses to get its spending binge under control.

"I'll pay off the credit card bill, but only once my wife gets her shopping addiction under control"

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1537 on: January 28, 2019, 04:53:20 PM »
I would actually support paying slightly higher taxes to help pay down the debt - AFTER the government slashed spending. But it is absurd to claim that we don’t deserve to keep a little more of our money simply because the government refuses to get its spending binge under control.

"I'll pay off the credit card bill, but only once my wife gets her shopping addiction under control"

Meanwhile I'll take a job that pays less and still increase spending.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1538 on: January 28, 2019, 05:03:30 PM »
Can we all agree that our spending levels have been an unmitigated disaster under Pub and Dem administrations, including this one, and get back to talking taxes?

We should all be able to agree (because it’s the truth) that our deficits are driven far more by out of control spending than tax levels. Even the CBO, which is highly allergic to dynamic scoring (accounting for economic impact when scoring the true cost of changes) concedes that tax cuts partially paid for themselves due to increased economic output. Conversely, liberals (and the CBO) would likewise need to concede that raising taxes would adversely impact the economy. You cannot raise taxes enough to even come close balancing our budget. It’s the spending, stupid.

Deficits are VERY important to me, and you’ll see that I’ve complained about Trump’s failure in this regard just as much as under Obama. I would actually support paying slightly higher taxes to help pay down the debt - AFTER the government slashed spending. But it is absurd to claim that we don’t deserve to keep a little more of our money simply because the government refuses to get its spending binge under control.

Ok. So now that that’s been said, let get back on topic please. I want to know how this tax reform impacted you! Hopefully it helped.

spiking the football while claiming you know we down 100 TDs seems kind of dumb.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:37:49 PM by Phil Titola »

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1539 on: January 28, 2019, 05:41:11 PM »

Wait. :lol: Did you just analogize a citizen’s responsibility for government spending to.... a spouse’s responsibility for household spending? :lol: Man, that perfect. That like exactly how liberals think! Thank you for this. Priceless.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1540 on: January 28, 2019, 05:47:21 PM »

spiking the football while claiming you know we down 100 TDs seems kind of dumb.

Two completely different games, Phil. I’ve done what I can on government spending: I vote for the most fiscally conservative candidate (sometimes I don’t have very good choices). I can’t control the fact that millions of people (including many posters here) keep voting big spenders into office.

And as explained above I’m under no moral or logical requirement to support higher taxes simply because politicians I disagree with can’t get their spending under control. So damn straight up celebrate keeping more of my money.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2019, 05:58:09 PM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »

Offline Phil Titola

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • He took it out!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1541 on: January 28, 2019, 05:52:00 PM »

Two completely different games, Phil. I’ve done what I can on government spending: I vote for conservatives who want to reduce the size of government (when I get the choice). I can’t control the fact that millions of people (including many posters here) keep voting big spenders into office. You’re damn right I’ll celebrate.

Fair enough.   :party:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1542 on: January 28, 2019, 06:43:50 PM »

Two completely different games, Phil. I’ve done what I can on government spending: I vote for the most fiscally conservative candidate (sometimes I don’t have very good choices). I can’t control the fact that millions of people (including many posters here) keep voting big spenders into office.

And as explained above I’m under no moral or logical requirement to support higher taxes simply because politicians I disagree with can’t get their spending under control. So damn straight up celebrate keeping more of my money.

I don't believe you when you say you voted for Hillary.

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1543 on: January 28, 2019, 06:54:30 PM »

Wait. :lol: Did you just analogize a citizen’s responsibility for government spending to.... a spouse’s responsibility for household spending? :lol: Man, that perfect. That like exactly how liberals think! Thank you for this. Priceless.

Please provide a rational argument as to why it's a false equivalence. Our national debt isn't interest-free, so the same economic principles apply. That money is already spent, and there's nothing we can do about it.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1544 on: January 28, 2019, 07:21:19 PM »

Please provide a rational argument as to why it's a false equivalence. Our national debt isn't interest-free, so the same economic principles apply. That money is already spent, and there's nothing we can do about it.

I really can’t believe I’m having to explain the absurdity of your analogy. But again, as a liberal, you seem color blind to certain strains of rational thought. As I’ve already explained above, I’ve already done everything I can do with respect to our government’s recklessly irresponsible spending. In my own household, there is far more I can do and this far more accountability. It’s really sweet that you’re comparing the federal government to your wife. But then, many liberal women turn to government as a substitute for spousal support, so why shouldn’t you? :lol:

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1545 on: January 28, 2019, 07:35:11 PM »
The tax changes appear to be favorable to me kazzu w.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1546 on: January 28, 2019, 07:47:18 PM »

:lol:

it's funny because i think you actually believe this.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1547 on: January 28, 2019, 08:26:36 PM »
Folks, let's just get around the country's kitchen table and talk about getting our family budget right.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1548 on: January 28, 2019, 08:48:19 PM »
The tax changes appear to be favorable to me kazzu w.

Booyah!  :cheers:

Offline treysolid

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: January 28, 2019, 09:01:26 PM »

I really can’t believe I’m having to explain the absurdity of your analogy. But again, as a liberal, you seem color blind to certain strains of rational thought. As I’ve already explained above, I’ve already done everything I can do with respect to our government’s recklessly irresponsible spending. In my own household, there is far more I can do and this far more accountability. It’s really sweet that you’re comparing the federal government to your wife. But then, many liberal women turn to government as a substitute for spousal support, so why shouldn’t you? :lol:

Ooooooohhhhhhh, my bad - you don't actually understand the analogy. Your statement that you'll be willing to pay more in taxes if the country was spending less money is complete bullshit. And the notion that we should only address increasing revenue until after we address decreasing expenditures is also laughable and just bad economics. The fact that you think politicians in this country will be able to eliminate or dramatically slash spending on Medicare/Medicaid/social security while the Boomers are still alive is a total pipe dream. Using your logic, you're looking at 2040 or 2050 before you can address that side of the ledger.