Author Topic: Just another 7-8 win team  (Read 3567 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just another 7-8 win team
« on: September 16, 2017, 10:03:11 PM »
We'll win some Big 12 games. Probably 5 or 6. Its just disappointing when we expected so much more.

Ertz isn't as good of a thrower and our WRs just might not be very good. Vandy is solid, butour offense just was poor. The numbers don't lie, we weren't efficient in any measurable way.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: September 16, 2017, 10:06:22 PM by ksu_FAN »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Just another 7-8 win team
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2017, 10:04:59 PM »
Wow. That would be a really depressing FAN post if I hadn't already abandoned this team.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2017, 10:05:47 PM »
can you simulate the game if both teams didn't pass and post the simulated stats please.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2017, 10:07:05 PM »
Glad I didn't watch that crap fest.
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 10:08:47 PM »
can you simulate the game if both teams didn't pass and post the simulated stats please.

We had 201 yards rushing and 5.7 YPC to their 65/2.0, so I'd say the Cats win if the forward pass was an illegal play.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 10:09:53 PM »
We had 201 yards rushing and 5.7 YPC to their 65/2.0, so I'd say the Cats win if the forward pass was an illegal play.

:ksu:
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2017, 10:10:51 PM »
we should have ran more, they should have ran less

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2017, 10:15:37 PM »
I still think we should be able to hang with any Big 12 team not from Oklahoma, but we have to get better.  The question is whether the mistakes of tonight could be characterized as "characteristic" or not.  Many of the overthrows and drops were very WTF, and I could not for the life of me understand (1) why Barnes could not gain a yard, and (2) why we stopped running Silmon after he made a couple big gains.

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2017, 10:40:15 PM »
i still have hope, the wrs are supposed to be one of the strengths, instead they played as bad as possible. people have bad days - drops are very contagious and it's not going to help ertz's confidence either. plus in a snyder/dimel offense, passes usually come on 3rd down so drops were drive killers

vandy could be a top 25 team, and we should have won easily. defense did better than expected.

Offline Rumsfield

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2017, 11:13:12 PM »
It seems like we are very inefficient when Jesse rolls right and passes. Oddly ineffiient.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2017, 11:38:41 PM »
Catch the ball.

Bottom line. Even with no run game from RBs.

5 drops and pass Harris let go thru hands were all first down if successful.  6 drives that stalled.

Keeping a drive alive is so underrated in CFB.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2017, 06:30:53 AM by Powercat Posse »

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2017, 11:49:39 PM »
This game had no feeling like those games we almost lose in Ames.  In those, we play so-so, they make a few plays and it's a 1 score game late that we have to hold on to.

Tonight, the O had 1 good drive and then just a bag full of screw up plays that stalled out the other 11 drives. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2017, 06:25:32 AM »
Saying this is a 7-8 win team might be a tad dramatic. We're clearly not at the level of OU and OSU, so that can die, but nothing that happened last night indicates that this still can't be a 9 or 10 win team. Vandy is better than we gave them credit for and we clearly overrated this offense.

Vandy's defense is likely to be either the second or third best defense we'll see this year, those corners were damn good. Combine that with the fact that we had the perfect storm of a bad passing QB, bad receivers, and scared, unimaginative play calling and you're left with 7 road points. I think the difference between 7-8 wins and 9-10 wins will be our next road game at UT and the home game against WVU.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2017, 06:38:41 AM »
Barry Brogran (#18) needs to run the bleachers til he pukes.  His block in the back was so uncalled for on Reed's punt return. Not too mention, get a clue dude... The Vandy guy had his back to you and you put 2 hands on his back. How stupid are you Barry?  It wasn't even a border line legal block. It was blantant...your 2 hands on his back.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2017, 07:51:52 AM »
Vanderbilt really isn't good. They'll win 6-7 games again this year and lose their bowl game. It's easy to look like you have good DBs when we run 5 different route trees only. They knew where we wanted to throw when we lined up. Our formations/personnel groupings give away a ton about our offense

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 07:52:40 AM »
It's human nature to react more strongly than you should to a loss.  the reality is that this is exactly the type of game that Snyder usually wins and one that we SHOULD have won.  The scoop and score, the punt return td, the missed fg, the dropped passes, the horrible Ertz int that gave them the winning td....these are things that went against us this game that usually do not.   Vandy is a mid level Big 12 team...they aren't a crap show.  That was a winnable game that a Snyder team nearly always finds a way to get get the W....we just didn't get it done.  I'm not ready to say we are a 7-8 win team.

The Big Train

Just another 7-8 win team
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2017, 07:58:05 AM »
I don't think football is a natural thing so how are we reacting stronger than we should?  That was a terrible game.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2017, 08:05:54 AM »
I don't think football is a natural thing so how are we reacting stronger than we should?  That was a terrible game.

you were a treat in chat last night.  if ever there is a time to see over-reaction up close and personal, chat is the place to be.   :ROFL:

also, i don't recall saying it was not a terrible game.  it was brutal.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2017, 08:13:59 AM »
does it really count as a road game if half the place was our fans? this will team will lose their rough ridin' minds when they go play anywhere else.

The Big Train

« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2017, 08:15:28 AM »

you were a treat in chat last night.  if ever there is a time to see over-reaction up close and personal, chat is the place to be.   :ROFL:

also, i don't recall saying it was not a terrible game.  it was brutal.

You didn't answer my question.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2017, 08:23:46 AM »
are you saying football isn't natural?  why it's as natural as a taking a nice greasy crap after a warm cup of coffee my friend. :cheers:

The Big Train

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2017, 09:01:01 AM »
are you saying football isn't natural?  why it's as natural as a taking a nice greasy crap after a warm cup of coffee my friend. :cheers:

I think you're overreacting here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2017, 09:39:19 AM »
Barry Brogran (#18) needs to run the bleachers til he pukes.  His block in the back was so uncalled for on Reed's punt return. Not too mention, get a clue dude... The Vandy guy had his back to you and you put 2 hands on his back. How stupid are you Barry?  It wasn't even a border line legal block. It was blantant...your 2 hands on his back.

If you're going to call someone stupid, you gotta get their name right.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2017, 10:21:55 AM »
Saying this is a 7-8 win team might be a tad dramatic. We're clearly not at the level of OU and OSU, so that can die, but nothing that happened last night indicates that this still can't be a 9 or 10 win team. Vandy is better than we gave them credit for and we clearly overrated this offense.

Vandy's defense is likely to be either the second or third best defense we'll see this year, those corners were damn good. Combine that with the fact that we had the perfect storm of a bad passing QB, bad receivers, and scared, unimaginative play calling and you're left with 7 road points. I think the difference between 7-8 wins and 9-10 wins will be our next road game at UT and the home game against WVU.

All fair points.

OSU and OU are clearly the class of the league, but there is no reason we can't finish 3rd again. 7-2 in the league is still very attainable and 6-3 should be the minimum expectation.

And I've got to give Vandy a bit more credit than I initially anticipated. Their defense had very good players and they made enough plays combined with our mistakes to shut our offense down. Mason does a great job of mixing his fronts and he also had a good plan to counter our checks and audibles. His adjustments after our TD drive to counter our QB run game and force us to throw to win worked really well. He likely knew that we might have sporadic success with off tackle power and speed option, but took that chance. I don't think Dimel is a bad playcaller, but he certainly has tendancies that you can exploit (like any OC) and Mason was able to do that. They should end up an 8 to 9 win team and honestly could win any game on their schedule except Bama.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2017, 11:49:19 AM »

Sean snyder is an idiot if he doesn't believe it was a block in the back. It clearly was, just didn't have any effect on the outcome of the play