Author Topic: Central Arky Thoughts  (Read 14127 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Central Arky Thoughts
« on: September 03, 2017, 01:05:26 PM »
OFFENSE
Our offense is explosive! The first half was pretty frustrating and I would be mumbling about how the offense was looking a little stalled after a penalty or Barnes getting stuffed, and then we would make a play.  Harris caught a ball in stride, spun, turned up field and separated from his defender was the kind of play we have been missing from receivers. It was the kind of skill that Lockett or Chris Harper would bring to the table. I like Zuber, he is competent and capable of making a big play, and he is clearly #3. Pringle and Harris are going to be monsters.

For the first game, we seemed willing to let Ertz operate and he clearly has a good rapport and trust with the receivers. 10/16 for 333 and 4 TD is pretty incredible and makes me think that maybe YPC is back as a core metric for the offense. We certainly went after 1 on 1 coverage very aggressively and several incompletions were overthrows on deep balls vs. 1-on-1 coverage.

Offensive line looked good in pass pro, running lanes against an FCS team were not as clean as you would like, but they were putting a lot of pressure and extra guys in the box and that was reflected in the passing game where we took advantage.

Not sure what to make of the running game. Ertz had a couple nice runs but Barnes was largely held in check and we were making so many big plays in the passing game it didn't seem to matter.

DEFENSE
The corners looked good, even in the first half, they kept things in front of them. Obviously DJamer Reed is a playmaker all over the field, but Shelley was solid. Safeties were solid tacklers and outside of the collision on the INT, and a couple breakdowns in the first half on coverage the secondary played well.

Linebackers I think we will get better as the season goes on (maybe when the #2's start) but we looked slow against the option and Snyder will hopefully be able to get that corrected. It might not even matter as much anyway as almost every QB in the Big 12 is running more air raid style than spread option.

I thought the line played well getting pressure and they almost completely disrupted the inside running game.

SPECIAL TEAMS
Sean Snyder coaches an elite, top 3 special teams in the country for like the 4th year running? Facts is facts. DJamer Reed is amazing and we already know Pringle is explosive so our return game is going to be a huge factor throughout the year.

FG kicking was solid as any time you go 1-2 from 50+ at the college level you accept it. No worries there.

NO PUNTS!

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 01:17:44 PM by Kat Kid »

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
Re: Central Arky Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2017, 01:14:35 PM »
Great observation KK, Snyder made the Defense stay late because our triple option defense was subpar. My roommate and I drove by at midnight and the defense was at the stadium practicing the triple option just like Bill said in the post game presser

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2017, 01:32:07 PM »
I'm really happy about having a placekicker that can consistently get a kickoff into the end zone.

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2017, 01:33:20 PM »
We are going to win the national championship
emaw

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
Loved the bombs.  Is there anything better than the 3 seconds or so in between your QB throwing a bomb and the receiver catching the bomb?  Greatest 3 seconds in sports.  From the initial excitement of the bomb launching, to the anticipation as the camera pans down field to reveal whether he's open, to the pure joy of the catch. Wow, yeah.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:56:58 PM »
Agree on the bombs being great

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2017, 02:00:36 PM »
I'm really happy about having a placekicker that can consistently get a kickoff into the end zone.

Yes. Definitely a welcome change.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2017, 02:04:57 PM »

I always thought that we were going for trying to get the other team to return the ball to less than the 25 yard line, hence why we always kicked it to like the 1. I mean it's fine but I always assumed we were trying to win a few yards on KO.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2017, 02:08:00 PM »
The bombs were definitely a treat, not doing that for the better part of 2 seasons makes it seem like we have a full throttle offense, and we did it often in this game. Excited what will happen as the season progresses. Anyone know what happened to Heath?

Running game I expect to improve as the o-line gels better.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

The Big Train

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2017, 02:21:57 PM »
What I really liked was that Harris is so fast he makes other fast guys seem not fast because he's so fast.  That really gets me excited.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2017, 02:26:31 PM »
He is definitely a burner.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2017, 02:30:51 PM »
What I really liked was that Harris is so fast he makes other fast guys seem not fast because he's so fast.  That really gets me excited.

Clams was asleep at the wheel and it may be the nudge I need to go over to 247sports/gopowercat.com to actually get a decent season preview
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2017, 02:44:59 PM »
We ran cool plays that looked cool, plays that good teams run and they looked easy when we did them. That's how I can tell we are a good team
emaw

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2017, 02:50:12 PM »

Offline highway61

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2017, 03:02:03 PM »
Could you define success % again for me?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
Could you define success % again for me?

A successful play is defined by these simple criteria:

Gaining 50% of the yards on 1st down. (5 yards on 1st and 10)
Gaining 70% of the yards on 2nd down. (7 yards on 2nd and 10)
Gaining 100% of the yards on 3rd/4th down.

So successful plays/total plays.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 03, 2017, 03:18:51 PM »
So it's having 7 yards gained in the first two downs? It doesn't actually have to be 2nd and 10 right?

So a 1st and 10. Holding call. Gaining 10 yards is not a successful play but 15 to bring up 2nd and 5 would be?

And from there you must gain only 2 yards for that second down to be successful?

Successful play is defined by situation the play leaves you in, not solely yards gained?

The Big Train

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 03:22:21 PM »
@mocat

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 03:35:09 PM »
So it's having 7 yards gained in the first two downs? It doesn't actually have to be 2nd and 10 right?

So a 1st and 10. Holding call. Gaining 10 yards is not a successful play but 15 to bring up 2nd and 5 would be?

And from there you must gain only 2 yards for that second down to be successful?

Successful play is defined by situation the play leaves you in, not solely yards gained?

Each play is treated separately.

Here is a sample drive.

1st and 10, gain of 2 yards. Unsuccessful play.
2nd and 8, gain of 6 yards. Successful play.
3rd and 2, gain of 4 yards. Successful play.
1st and 10, incomplete. Unsuccessful play.
2nd and 10, gain of 5 yards. Unsuccessful play.
3rd and 5, gain of 17 yards. Successful play.
1st and 10, gain of 23 yards, TD. Successful play.

Success rate for the drive = 4 out of 7, 57.1%.

Again, its just one factor. Look at that with points per play, points per drive, TOs, etc. you have a good picture. Another factor to consider would be average starting field position (which I don't have in my chart) which we also dominated. This would account for special teams a little better, the chart only accounts for offense and defense really.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2017, 03:36:18 PM »
Ok. Thanks for the explaino

Offline Big Sam

• King of the Tucks
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2017, 03:53:31 PM »

I always thought that we were going for trying to get the other team to return the ball to less than the 25 yard line, hence why we always kicked it to like the 1. I mean it's fine but I always assumed we were trying to win a few yards on KO.

I believe that take is correct.  We have had kickers (not always the primary) that can kick it into the end zone.  However, the goal has tended to be get it about the 2, toward a sideline, then tackle them so they face a longer field.  I even remember Snyder being angry when kickers screw it up and put it in the end zone.

Maybe the approach is being adjusted this year.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2017, 04:01:59 PM »
Really would've preferred this in a peggy/nancy style

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2017, 04:38:46 PM »
Average starting field position was 47.3 for the Cats and 25.0 for UCA.

Offline halfEmpty

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2017, 05:20:26 PM »
Starting lb's made some plays, but you can clearly see they lack the athleticism of those backing them up.  I think you'll be seeing the 2's more as the season progresses.

I find myself questioning why we didn't see warmack earlier in the game to spell Barnes and give us some change of pace.  Hard to tell if his good runs at the end were because they were not set up to stop him or if their d was on their heels at that point in the game.

But, if they're going to give us the deep ball, then so be it.  On that note, this game was likely a wake up call to the league that you can't just stack the box.  Granted, those teams should have better corners.

I think it was 31 for central Arkansas, could be wrong, but that guy had wheels.

I don't know if the troubles stopping the option were lack of prep, lack of athleticism at lb, or the fact the cats kept going to their pass rush package(4 d-ends) on 3rd down and getting burnt on the run.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2017, 06:33:01 PM »
Really would've preferred this in a peggy/nancy style

oscar broke me.